[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kyle Turley to Make Comeback

seabronc

Good for him.

I applaud him for not giving up his love of the game.

1454255[/snapback]

I agree. We know that he can block, it'll be interesting to see if he can run a route or catch a pass. He could be a TE of the Jim Kleinsasser mold.

Good for him.

I applaud him for not giving up his love of the game.

1454255[/snapback]

U dont think its for a pay check. U know you cant just find jobs that pay you millions of dollars to play.

Me and a co-worker were discussing this Friday. How does a guy go from 300+ down to 260, and suddenly fall off the football map? I know he had back problems, but I think it might have been something else. :D I wonder if he still gets the urge to rip people's head off? I guess WWE may be next if this doesn't work out? :D If he was always truly legit, and just "passionate" about the game then good for him trying to come back...but I'm just not buying it. The Saints wanted nothing to do with this guy, and neither did STL once he got there. I guess threatening to kill the coach or whatever he said would make anyone's resume less appealing. :D

Edited by Hitman

He didn't get into any shouting matches with coaches, didn't rip helmets from any heads and wasn't even playing the position where he worked for six seasons in the NFL. So was that really former St. Louis Rams offensive tackle Kyle Turley catching passes Friday at the Dolphins' rookie mini-camp?

Yes, it was.

Turley missed the past two NFL seasons because of back problems. He decided to try tight end after losing more than 40 pounds to reduce the strain on his back. Turley, 30, was listed at 6-foot-5 and 309 pounds when he last played.

"He's lost some weight, he worked out well and he caught the ball well," Dolphins coach Nick Saban said. "This is an opportunity for us to take a look at him and see if he does have any potential as a tight end."

Turley gained notoriety for a December 2004 shouting match he had with former St. Louis coach Mike Martz, who reportedly filed a complaint with NFL security because he felt threatened.

During a game in 2001, Turley ripped the helmet off New York Jets safety Damien Robinson and flung it across the field.

Friday, Turley looked swift and relatively nimble as a tight end. He is one of a few veteran free agents at the 62-player mini-camp.

Another case of Gatesitis.

Ever since antonio came onto the scene, GMs and coaches are trying to make 'that brilliant transition move'.

-Sure he's a mime, but that pulling the inivisible rope and casually resting on the invisible box are skills that could really make a brilliant tight end. :D

I agree.  We know that he can block, it'll be interesting to see if he can run a route or catch a pass.  He could be a TE of the Jim Kleinsasser mold.

1454260[/snapback]

From the Miami Herald-they say Turley was 260 and looked downwhat graceful.

In fact, it's doubtful that more than a handful of the 62 players who participated in the first day of the team's rookie minicamp will have a long-term relationship with the Dolphins.

Vick is the highest-profile player of the lot, which also included former St. Louis Rams offensive lineman-turned-tight end Kyle Turley and former New York Giants linebacker Barrett Green. The 6-5 Turley, who looked downright graceful and had perhaps the most impressive day of anyone, has trimmed to 260 pounds after being well over 300 for most of his career.

I remember watching the game where Turley ripped off Damien Robinson's helmet. Robinson was trying to hurt Aaron Brooks... Turley was a tackle. Tackles no.1 priority is to protect the quarterback. I didnt think that it was that big of a deal. Robinson should have been kicked out of that game as well.

-Sure he's a mime, but that pulling the inivisible rope and casually resting on the invisible  box are skills that could really make a brilliant tight end. :D

1455647[/snapback]

:D

I, too, find the whole thing hilarious. Just because Gates went from basketball to future HoF TE, it seems that front office types everywhere aren't content just scouting the best college TEs anymore -- they have to FIND a "sleeper" TE and turn him into a great player. As if there are 1,000 Antonio Gateses just trolling around pick-up basketball courts. :D

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead

I remember watching the game where Turley ripped off Damien Robinson's helmet.  Robinson was trying to hurt Aaron Brooks...  Turley was a tackle.  Tackles no.1 priority is to protect the quarterback.  I didnt think that it was that big of a deal.  Robinson should have been kicked out of that game as well.

1456226[/snapback]

I remember watching the game where Turley ripped off Damien Robinson's helmet.  Robinson was trying to hurt Aaron Brooks...  Turley was a tackle.  Tackles no.1 priority is to protect the quarterback.  I didnt think that it was that big of a deal.  Robinson should have been kicked out of that game as well.

1456226[/snapback]

Yeah, that was the feeling of many Saints fans at the time as well, but in hindsight...maybe Aaron Brooks would play better without a head. :D

I, too, find the whole thing hilarious. Just because Gates went from basketball to future HoF TE, it seems that front office types everywhere aren't content just scouting the best college TEs anymore -- they have to FIND a "sleeper" TE and turn him into a great player. As if there are 1,000 Antonio Gateses just trolling around pick-up basketball courts. :D

1456250[/snapback]

Gonzales was also a BB player on college. Kinda hard to argue that strategy since both he and Gates were found on the BB court...? But of course, Tony was a standout TE AND BB player...

1456226[/snapback]

Therein began my manlove of this guy

I have a autographed picture of him throwing the helmet.

I hope they sign him... he'd make a hell of a blocking TE

Yeah, that was the feeling of many Saints fans at the time as well, but in hindsight...maybe Aaron Brooks would play better without a head.  :D

I still 100% agree with what Turley did other than he should have punched the guy too, but you are correct with the Brooks comment.

• 1 month later...

Former standout blocker Kyle Turley, who hasn't played in a game since a 2003 playoff loss because of severe back problems, is poised to make his NFL comeback.

Turley, 30, has reached an agreement in principle with the Kansas City Chiefs on a multiyear contract, a source close to him confirmed Sunday afternoon, but financial details of the deal were not immediately available. The seven-year veteran must still pass a physical examination for the Chiefs, which is scheduled for Monday, and which figures to be extensive given his medical background.

If he passes the physical, Turley will sign and begin working out with the Chiefs this week.