[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Whose window is closing or is closed!

dfv87

Bears seem to be doing nothing to fix their offense... It is the NFC North but I don't see them 13-3 again.

Indy lost the "Edge" which is the only way they could keep teams honest against the run. I see their window closing.

I thought NE's window was closing last year but now I see hem really having to rally to stay a SB contender.

Bears seem to be doing nothing to fix their offense... It is the NFC North but I don't see them 13-3 again.

1454143[/snapback]

People just honestly don’t get the Bears. Their starting quarterback was hurt and they were starting a rookie quarterback. Their backup running back, the one for their future possibly, got hurt and missed the end of the season. Berrian was hurt for some time and Bradley tore his leg up right when he started showing his ability. The offense is definitely going to improve from last year’s poor outing. To say that this team will disappoint or that their window is closed is crazy. They are returning every single starter. Give me a break.

People just honestly don’t get the Bears. Their starting quarterback was hurt and they were starting a rookie quarterback. Their backup running back, the one for their future possibly, got hurt and missed the end of the season. Berrian was hurt for some time and Bradley tore his leg up right when he started showing his ability. The offense is definitely going to improve from last year’s poor outing. To say that this team will disappoint or that their window is closed is crazy. They are returning every single starter. Give me a break.

1454154[/snapback]

I still think they are going to win the division, but, I just don't see them as a team that is capable to win the Conference yet. I thought there defense, though extremely solid, was exposed to be a bit over-rated against both the Steelers & Panthers late last year. There offense is far from putting fear into any opposing defenses, but, I think it will improve this year. I thikn this team is very good, but, would be shocked to see them with as good of a record as last year.

I still think they are going to win the division, but, I just don't see them as a team that is capable to win the Conference yet.  I thought there defense, though extremely solid, was exposed to be a bit over-rated against both the Steelers & Panthers late last year.  There offense is far from putting fear into any opposing defenses, but, I think it will improve this year.  I thikn this team is very good, but, would be shocked to see them with as good of a record as last year.

1454167[/snapback]

I don't think you can say their defense was overrated but I definitely agree they were totally exposed against the Steelers and Panthers. Their secondary was their weakest point if anything and with Tillman getting surgery and some solid additions via free agency and the draft, I think it has to improve. I think the Bears defensive plan against the Panthers was weak and I think they have learned their lesson. They have a smart coaching staff and they will learn from their mistakes.

The schedule could be a tough one. I think if they can start out strong then they should be fine. They have a great oppurtunity to start the season 3-0. Seahawks game will be huge and will say a lot.

The Denver Broncos are a team that I look at that will take a small step back, maybe just record wise. I think that division will be ultra competitive this upcoming season and they will be totally beat on each other. Same with the Seahawks possibly, to a lesser extent.

I like the window opening/closing analogy. Teams often pop into my head as being on the upswing (opening), downswing (closing), or at a stopping point. Here are my thoughts:

Windows Closing:

Indianapolis - just started closing slightly - still win division, still SB contender

New England - started closing at a very slow rate last year - still make playoffs

Kansas City - some key players close to retiring - no playoffs

Philadelphia - started last year, and will move quicker this year - losing season

Atlanta - started closing last year, and continues this year - no playoffs

St. Louis - Has been closing for a few years, still on its way down - no playoffs

Buffalo - It will continue to close tighter this year

Windows Opening:

Miami - great run at the end of last year - playoffs

Houston - will start opening a bit this year - approaching .500

Cincy - opened a great deal last year, continues - playoffs, SB contender

Dallas - will start opening up this year - playoffs

Washington - will continue what was started last year - playoffs

New Orleans - will start opening this year - playoffs

Arizona - will start opening at a rapid pace this year - .500 or slightly above

Window at a Standstill (Could go either way)

All the rest

I like the window opening/closing analogy.  Teams often pop into my head as being on the upswing (opening), downswing (closing), or at a stopping point.  Here are my thoughts:

Windows Closing:

Indianapolis - just started closing slightly - still win division, still SB contender

New England - started closing at a very slow rate last year - still make playoffs

Kansas City - some key players close to retiring - no playoffs

Philadelphia - started last year, and will move quicker this year - losing season

Atlanta - started closing last year, and continues this year - no playoffs

St. Louis - Has been closing for a few years, still on its way down - no playoffs

Buffalo - It will continue to close tighter this year

Windows Opening:

Miami - great run at the end of last year - playoffs

Houston - will start opening a bit this year - approaching .500

Cincy - opened a great deal last year, continues - playoffs, SB contender

Dallas - will start opening up this year - playoffs

Washington - will continue what was started last year - playoffs

New Orleans - will start opening this year - playoffs

Arizona - will start opening at a rapid pace this year - .500 or slightly above

Window at a Standstill (Could go either way)

All the rest

1454237[/snapback]

Is this where you see Pittsburgh?

Is this where you see Pittsburgh?

1454241[/snapback]

Actually, yes..... I really feel like the window was opening for a long time, and they finally got to their goal last year. The window can't open any further, and I still think they are a top contender this year, so I don't think it is closing. I don't really have a favorite, you all know who I want to win, but, these are who I feel are legitimate Super Bowl Champion contenders, in no particular order.....

Steelers

Bengals

Colts

Broncos

Patriots

Seahawks

Panthers

Cowboys

I'd be surprised if a team not on that list took home the Lombardi, but, I've been surprised before, which is what makes the NFL great.

dont be so quick to right the eagles off, they were a good team before TO got there.  I can see them winning 11 games this year with such an easy schedule.

1454261[/snapback]

:D

Easy schedule ? They are in what is commonly known as the deepest division in football. They do have some perceived easy non-division games: HOU, SF, TEN, NO....but they also have some tough ones: TB, INDY, CAR

I'm sorry to say that, I think the Eagles time is over. I see a 7-9 season, 8-8 at best.

All I ever hear from Eagles fans is about how they were good before T.O. was there. That statement is silly. It is two years later, and look to your left and to your right in that division, what once was one of the weakest divisions has now become the toughest.

I think its ridiculous to believe the eagles window is closed because the division got tougher. I agree the division was a joke up until last year but the eagles suffered too many injuries last year that made it impossible to compete. No team in the league could have that many players get hurt and still win. I believe the eagles will win the division this year and they will be carried by their defense and not their offense.

I think its ridiculous to believe the eagles window is closed because the division got tougher.  I agree the division was a joke up until last year but the eagles suffered too many injuries last year that made it impossible to compete.  No team in the league could have that many players get hurt and still win.  I believe the eagles will win the division this year and they will be carried by their defense and not their offense.

1454314[/snapback]

Sorry, just don't see it. In fact, I don't see anyway that they don't finish in the bottom of the East this year. There defense will be good, not great, and their offense has two players that put fear into a defense, McNabb & Westbrook, and I think McNabb's decline begins this year.

P.S. Sorry, but I just can't relate to blinded homerism, as I've always been a completely objective fan, as anyone at this site will tell you.... :D

:D

Edited by Menudo

I'm sorry to say that, I think the Eagles time is over.  I see a 7-9 season, 8-8 at best. 

1454280[/snapback]

Uh, the Eagles were 6-10 last year. Your 7-9 or 8-8 prediction would mean they improve on last year, which would indicate they will be better than last year, not worse. If a team improves on its prior year record, how can its window be closing???

PS..they will be 10-6 this year, with:

1. improved OL

2. improved DL

3. improved LB

4. improved QB play with McNabb healthy

5. improved RB play with Westbrook healthy

6. WR cancer

7. 6-10 schedule, vs Super Bowl runner-up schedule

I still can't see how anyone, with all the above being so obvious, would think they would be 8-8 or less.

1454154[/snapback]

But the problem is that their starting QB is still really quite unproven in the NFL. He shows great promise, but the injuries have hampered his playing time which is where guys really learn the nuances of the game. You really don't even know if Grossman is the answer, and his backups certainly don't look to be (maybe Griese). It's more of a crap shoot than I think you'd like to admit.

Indy lost the "Edge" which is the only way they could keep teams honest against the run. I see their window closing.

I thought NE's window was closing last year but now I see hem really having to rally to stay a SB contender.

1454143[/snapback]

Agreed about the Bears. They'll win the North, but I don't see them going far in the playoffs. Seattle and Carolina are much better.

Unfortunately, I agree with you about Indy as well. Last year was their year and they blew it big time. The only thing going for them is that there isn't a real heavily-favored standout in the AFC. But they're certainly on the down slope now.

NE will win the AFC East because, like the NFC North, their divisional competition is wretched. But their defense was awful at times last year and has gotten worse in offseason. There's too much competition in the AFC for them to get to a SB this season.

NE will win the AFC East because, like the NFC North, their divisional competition is wretched.  But their defense was awful at times last year and has gotten worse in offseason.  There's too much competition in the AFC for them to get to a SB this season.

1454673[/snapback]

The loss of McGinest is something to worry about, but I tend not to concern myself until after I see what the team does in June. They have plenty of cap room to sign a couple of veteran LBs, and you know a few will be released for cap space.

I am also encouraged about their secondary. People seem to think it will be a bad unit, but I think that even without the return of Harrison they will be decent. Samuel, Wilson, Gay, Hobbs, and Scott are a good young group. If they do get back a healthy Harrison and perhaps sign a guy like Law back they will have something to speak about.

I will be concerned about how they use Law, though, if he does come back. IMHO he's a fifth defensive back, unless Harrison doesn't come back and Law steps in as a safety.

Uh, the Eagles were 6-10 last year. Your 7-9 or 8-8 prediction would mean they improve on last year, which would indicate they will be better than last year, not worse. If a team improves on its prior year record, how can its window be closing???

PS..they will be 10-6 this year, with:

1.  improved OL

2.  improved DL

3.  improved LB

4.  improved QB play with McNabb healthy

5.  improved RB play with Westbrook healthy

6.  WR cancer

7.  6-10 schedule, vs Super Bowl runner-up schedule

I still can't see how anyone, with all the above being so obvious, would think they would be 8-8 or less.

1454639[/snapback]

Well, I do blame a lot of the Eagles 6-10 record last year on the injuries and off-field issues they delat with. They were a better team than that. However, I do think that last year was the beginning of the downslide, which will continue this year. They won't be down long, as, they are a very good organization, but, I just don't see them having a great year this year.......maybe they will prove me wrong, it won't be the 1st or last time that has happened.

1. improved OL

2. improved DL

3. improved LB

4. improved QB play with McNabb healthy

5. improved RB play with Westbrook healthy

Time will tell. Most fans think their team has improved every off-season, but, we won't know for sure until they start playing the games. There is also no way of knowing if McNabb and Westbrook will remain healthy.

6. WR cancer

Well, I agree he was an Kate Middleton, and a cancer off the field, but, he did something on the field that no other Eagle can even come close to. Westbrook & McNabb are the only offensive players the Eagles have that put any fear into opposing defenses. I think their offense struggles a bit this year, and they WILL miss what T.O. could do on the field.

7. 6-10 schedule, vs Super Bowl runner-up schedule

This gets exaggerated....each team in the division plays each other twice (6 Games), an AFC Division (4 Games), an NFC Division (4 Games)......so, only two games are different amongst the teams. An advantage, yes, but, not as big as some make it out to be.

Edited by Menudo