[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packer mini-camp day 1

Randall

From Cliff Christl

Minicamp Report - Camp 1, Day 1

It's only a minicamp. It was only the first day. But wide receiver Greg Jennings, one of the Green Bay Packers' second-round draft picks, looked smooth and fluid with some quickness and burst in and out of his cuts. One of the prettiest plays of the day came in 7-on-7 when Brett Favre hit Jennings on a hook route. With veteran cornerback Charles Woodson in coverage (Coach Mike McCarthy said he was in press coverage, although it appeared that Woodson was off the linel), Jennings drove hard upfield and then worked back for the ball. "He looked to be very natural," said McCarthy. "He had bump-and-run and we refer to the technique as a speed move where he has to adjust his route off his weight and cross the face of the DB. I almost had to look and check his number. I thought it was Donald (Driver). (Jennings) came snapping out of it and caught the ball in stride and turned it right up. Watching him catching punts, very natural. I think we were right on that one."

Woodson later sat on a comeback route by Jennings and intercepted a Favre pass. Woodson spiked Jennings on the play and lost his balance, but came up with the catch. It was one of several times where Woodson stumbled or fell during the practice. He appeared to be having problems with his cleats on the Don Hutson Center FieldTurf. After practice, Woodson said he would change his cleats before the two practices Saturday.

Woodson was listed as No. 21 on the roster, but wore No. 2. He said he'd like to wear the number permanently, but NFL rules prevent corners - or wide receivers, for that matter - from wearing numbers below 10. Woodson practiced only at corner.

Samkon Gado was the only veteran running back to practice, but he looked fully recovered from the sprained medial collateral ligament that knocked him out of the final two games of last season. "He's very explosive," said McCarthy. "I think you saw that in some of the lead zone runs." Ahman Green and Najeh Davenport were in uniform and took part in some light running and stretching early in practice, but won't be ready to go full speed until at least the start of training camp, according to McCarthy.

What are McCarthy's early impressions of second-year quarterback Aaron Rodgers? "Very bright," was one. "More athletic than he showed in college," was another. Rodgers threw a lot of checkdowns in the team sessions, but McCarthy praised him for his decision-making. "I thought he played controlled today," said McCarthy. "I thought he was very composed." What about Rodgers' arm strength? "His arm strength is good," said McCarthy. "He spins the ball, which is important in this part of the country."

Favre shared time with the other quarterbacks in camp - Rodgers, fifth-round draft pick Ingle Martin and free agent Tom Arth - but looked fit and threw some nice balls. Along with connecting with Jennings on the hook, Favre also threw a perfect deep ball over Driver's outside shoulder for a big gain.

The Packers worked William Whitticker at tackle and Kevin Barry at guard. Whitticker started the day working at right tackle behind Mark Tauscher. But when Adrian Klemm dropped out of practice with an apparent injury, Whitticker moved to the left side and worked with the No. 1 unit. Chad Clifton underwent ankle surgery following the season and won't practice this camp. The only other tackles were fifth-round pick Tony Moll, who worked on the left side, and free agent rooke Josh Bourke, who worked on the right side.

Barry worked with the second unit at right guard. Second-round draft pick Daryn Colledge practiced with the first unit at left guard. Second-year man Junius Coston, who worked at left guard all last summer and throughout the Packers' off-season sessions this spring, worked with the first unit at right guard. It was the first day that Coston had ever practiced there. Third-round pick Jason Spitz worked with the second unit at left guard. Scott Wells was the No. 1 center with Chris White behind him.

A.J. Hawk worked with the first unit at outside linebacker. ... Roy Manning lined up as the other outside backer with the No. 1 defense. ... With free agent safety Marquand Manuel, who is coming off a groin injury from the Super Bowl, watching practice, Mark Roman was still lining up with the first unit at safety. ... Robert Ferguson lined up with the first unit at wide receiver opposite Driver. ... Third-round pick Abdul Hodge worked at middle linebacker and looked athletic on a deep drop in 7-on-7, where he deflected a Favre pass.

Other players coming off injuries who didn't practice included running back Chaz Williams; defensive linemen Kenny Peterson, Donnell Washington, draft pick Johnny Jolly and free agent Tim McGill; linebackers Brady Poppinga and Kurt Campbell; cornerback Jason Horton; and safety Jeremy Thornburg.

Three players practiced on a tryout basis: linebacker Kevin Schimmelmann, Stanford; fullback Ben Brown, Tabor; and offensive guard LeQualan McDonald, Baylor.

Day 2 and 3

QB takes most minicamp snaps

By BOB McGINN

bmcginn@journalsentinel.com

Posted: May 7, 2006

Green Bay - Two of Aaron Rodgers' new coaches were impressed by how he performed in the Green Bay Packers' three-day, four-practice minicamp that concluded Sunday morning.

"I was really pleased with Aaron," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said. "Absolutely. His arm strength. The way he got that thing out. And his deep ball was good.

"He's got it. He just needs a chance to do it."

Brett Favre took minimal repetitions over the weekend, giving Rodgers primary exposure with the No. 1 offense. Coach Mike McCarthy has excused Favre from even attending the second minicamp, which is scheduled from May 19-21. McCarthy said there was potential for Favre to take part in 10 of 14 practice days after that.

Favre's absence will enable Rodgers to direct the team, just as he has done since the start of the off-season workout program March 20.

"I think Aaron Rodgers is having an excellent minicamp," McCarthy said late Saturday. "Statistically, big-play opportunities, controlling the huddle, managing the offense."

Last spring, McCarthy studied all 22 of Rodgers' starts at the University of California because he was the offensive coordinator in San Francisco and the 49ers were evaluating him and Alex Smith.

"His movement qualities are something I don't recall seeing a lot of in college," McCarthy said. "I think Aaron moves a lot better and is a lot better athlete than what people realize. He does a really nice job in space. He also has an excellent arm."

Ingle Martin, a fifth-round draft choice, made too many high throws but flashed some athletic ability.

"He was just kind of feeling his way around," Jagodzinski said. "He's got some good tools."

The Packers intentionally limited Favre's number of passes because he hadn't thrown since the final game, according to McCarthy.

Someone's putting lipstick on that pig... :D

1456653[/snapback]

I'm writing about the Packers not that swine in Tennessee. :D

They are just reporters account. Noone knows much about Rogers and this pre season we may be able to see how he does with the number 1 team.

TT says everyone fits in pretty good.

Linebackers This much we know: Mike (middle) linebacker Nick Barnett and No. 5 overall pick A.J. Hawk, who started out at will (weak side), are going to be on the field a lot. Roy Manning, an undrafted rookie last year, and free-agent pickup Ben Taylor alternated at sam (strong side) with the No. 1 unit, but if third-round pick Abdul Hodge, who worked behind Barnett at mike, can emerge, Barnett could be a candidate to move outside.

"There were some good guys added in there," defensive coordinator Bob Sanders said. "It creates a lot of good competition, and competition breeds guys elevating their level of play. It should be interesting." •

Defensive backs Cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson are excited about the possibilities with them as the starters, but the sub package still should be a concern with deposed starter Ahmad Carroll and still-raw Mike Hawkins as the nickel and dime backs.

At safety, Nick Collins started all 16 games last year and is expected to make more plays in Year 2. Free-agent signee Marquand Manuel didn't practice because of the groin injury he suffered in Super Bowl XL, so Mark Roman, whom Manuel is expected to replace, ran with the No. 1 unit instead. Sixth-round pick Tyrone Culver and undrafted rookie Tra Boger made a few plays.

"I think they're going to be a solid group," Sanders said. •

Special teams McCarthy focused the special teams periods on punting situations, so there were no kickoff and place-kicking drills. Neither B.J. Sander nor Canadian import Jon Ryan punted particularly well, each shanking more than their share.

"I wouldn't classify them as inconsistent," McCarthy said.

Rookies Corey Rodgers, Will Blackmon and Jennings joined Woodson as punt-return candidates. Rodgers, anointed on draft day by special teams coordinator Mike Stock as the man to beat, dropped too many balls the first two practices but looked better the final two workouts.

"I'm excited about (Woodson) as a punt returner, he's very natural back there. Him and Jennings both," McCarthy said. "You can never have too many good returners, so that's obviously an opportunity to get (Woodson) the football because he is an exciting player with the ball in his hands."