[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NY Jets RB sitch

Raider.Nation

I have recently aquired Leon Washington in my dynasty draft, to go along with Curtis Martin and Derrick Blaylock on my bench. I have tried hard to pickup Cedric Houston but the guy I'm talking with seems to over-value Houston.

Where do all these guys sit (in your minds) on the Depth Charts. Obviously Cmart starts the season, but where do the rest of the chips fall?

1. Cmart

2. Blaylock/Houston

3. Washington?

Or does Washington get more of a look... hmm..

I think the depth is exactly as you listed it until we can see anything from Washington. He was a 4.20 pick so not like they reached high to get him. Then again, Houston is just a 6th rounder from last year.

Unless Washington is really impressive in camp, which could happen, then I would guess that Martin plays all year (or until injured) and the others get spot duty. Then in 2007, the Jets either draft or acquire a starting RB. This summer is when Washington has a great opportunity if he can only take advantagae of it. It could make him "heir apparent".

One sidenote - The Jets are likely to be very bad this year and into next. That doesn't spell great things for the rushing game regardless who carries the ball.

Are the Jets really sticking with Pennington?

Edit: I put that out there because I agree with DMD that the Jets will be really bad next year.

Edited by thecerwin

I agree with DMD.... the Jets won't be very good this year. A lot is very much up in the air on the O line. With the addition of Ferguson, Adrian Jones most likely returns to RT, which is not his natural position... LT is. He should be better than Fabini was at RT last year though. Teague (from the Bills) may start at center, while Mangold could possibly replace Moore at RG. Kendall returns to his natural LG spot, where he's still better than average. The run blocking should be marginally improved over last year.... and it was pretty bad last year.

Most pundits say Washington is just too small to ever be a twenty carry guy, being just shy of 5'8", but the Jets had a guy named Harper who was pretty short. Washington is a bit over 200 pounds though, so there is some small chance he could be a guy who could be the lead back in a quasi-RBBC situation in the future. To me, he's VERY similar to Blaylock.... a fast RB who can catch the ball. Typical 3rd down RB. Blaylock might have to prove himself as a ST's guy to prevent being a salary cap casualty.

Houston.... could, I say COULD be very under rated here. After his junior year, he was projected as a second rounder. However, his production his senior year really tailed off. He had an undiagnosed thyroid condition that zapped his strength and endurance. This condition was discovered if not at the combine, very close to then. Sometimes these thyroid conditions take some time to get under control with the right meds, but it's fully correctable. Towards the end of last year, once Martin finally took the bench with a bad knee, Houston looked OK.... he is the only RB who could be considered a power back, a between the tackles short yardage guy.

Martin..... yeah, I think father time is finally catching up to him, and the days of 25 carries a game are most likely history. Having said that, he's still the guy, for now. I see 15 to 20 touches a game. I think Houston will spell him on 1st and 2nd downs, while either Blaylock or Washington will be the 3rd down recieving RB. Word is Washington can pass block....

So, I see it this way, as of now...

Martin

Houston

Blaylock/Washington

Just saw the QB question.... I think Ramsey will be the starter, but that's purely a hunch/ best guess. I could see Pennington starting the year on the PUP list, but again, a guess. I don't think the Jets would have taken Clemens in the second round unless they thought there was a real chance he could be the future franchise QB.

As a side note..... most Jet fans are very optomistic with the new regime, and know any thoughts of the playoffs are at least as far away as 2008. Generally speaking, most seem to think this team will be rebuilt not for the short term, but to be a perenial playoff contender from 2009 on.

Lastly, I expect the Jets to go RB/WR early in next year's draft. That's my 2 cents, anyways....

Oh, and just to muddy the water a bit.... the Jets signed this kid as an undrafted FA.....

DonTrell Moore RB 5’10 210 New Mexico

By: Robert Davis

NFL Combine Stats: 40-yard dash - 4.64, 225 bench press - 18 reps, vertical jump - 32"

If you want production, there is not a back in the country that can top DonTrell Moore. From the minute he put on a Lobo uniform, he has been one of the best backs in college football. As a freshman in 2002, Moore ran for 1,134 yards and 13 touchdowns, on his way to being named the Mountain West Freshman of the Year. He topped those numbers a year later, running for 1,450 yards and 19 touchdowns, earning 1st team MWC honors. As a junior, his numbers were again very impressive. Despite missing time with an MCL injury and later an ACL injury, Moore finished the year with 1,091 yards and 15 touchdowns, and added 27 receptions and 198 yards through the air. He didn't show any ill effects of the knee injuries from the previous year as a senior, finishing the year with 1,298 yards and 14 touchdowns on the ground, and 371 yards and three touchdowns on 31 receptions.

The best thing about DonTrell Moore is how hard he runs. He attacks the line of scrimmage, and he will not go down easily. He keeps his feet moving and routinely drags defenders with him. His toughness is second to none. He also displays excellent quickness and change of direction ability to make defenders miss. Moore has also improved his hands over the years, and is now a viable option as a receiver out the backfield. He has shown the durability and talent to be a major threat all over the field.

I think whenever a back has carried the ball as much as DonTrell has in his career, it definitely makes you look into his body. That is a lot of wear and tear for a back to have before entering the NFL, where things get even more physical. Even though he has been durable, he did have some problems with his knee in 2004. He injured his MCL, and then later in the year tore the ACL in the same knee. Moore also does not have ideal size. He looks to be smaller than his listed size, and that is only average in the NFL.

Moore has a lot going for him as a prospect. He’s been productive, but also has the quickness, toughness, and all around talent to be an NFL running back. But he is not a true elite prospect, and has some questions. He will have to show that he can carry some added weight, and not lose any speed. A big reason I like DonTrell is because I believe his floor is high. Even if he is not an every down back, his cutting ability and receiving ability will allow him to find a role in the NFL.

Scouting report from "Football's Future", connected to the "Great Blue North" draft site.