[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who starts at QB in Buffalo?

revhookem

Will Losman get the job back, or is Holcomb the starter this year? Holcomb's #s sure looked better... but I really don't have a good feel for whether Losman has lost the confidence of the coaching staff or not.

I've heard Holcomb was named the starter, but I think this is all motivational talk for Losman...

much like Dayne already getting the nod over Bell and whoever else when draft day didn't even happen yet...

I'm not a Losman fan, but he makes Evans worth a very fine #3 WR...

It's doubtful they are going anywhere this year so I don't see the point of starting Holcumb. I think Losman and Nall battle for the job.

1455381[/snapback]

I think Nall could be the darkhorse here....:D

I've heard Holcomb was named the starter, but I think this is all motivational talk for Losman...

much like Dayne already getting the nod over Bell and whoever else when draft day didn't even happen yet...

1455382[/snapback]

Did Shanny name Dayne the starter at some point? I never heard that.

In Green Bay Nall was very inconsistent in camp the last few years, but did well in Europe. It will be intesresting to see what he does. I'm not sure I'd start anyone but Holcombe.

On Dayne being the starter, does it matter who starts i RBBC. Sundquist said this

Do you think that Tatum Bell is finally ready to be the No. 1 guy and have a breakout year?

Josh

Spencer, Iowa

I don't know that you necessarily have to have a No. 1 guy. We rushed for over 1,900 yards last year in a rotation. To say that we want somebody that's going to carry the ball 25, 30 times a game -- my question is, "What's the difference if the yardage is there?" We ranked second in the league in rushing yardage behind Atlanta last year. You rank second in the NFL in rushing; you've got two backs that stayed healthy throughout the year; you have the speed/breakaway guy (Bell) who seems to be at his best when he carries the ball one to 10 times, and then you've got the power guy on the inside, and Ron will fill that role this year in place of Mike Anderson. I'm not saying that you don't want a No. 1 running back, so to speak, but I think we'll still be an effective offense in a rotational system.

In Green Bay Nall was very inconsistent in camp the last few years, but did well in Europe. It will be intesresting to see what he does. I'm not sure I'd start anyone but Holcombe.

On Dayne being the starter, does it matter who starts i RBBC. Sundquist said this

Do you think that Tatum Bell is finally ready to be the No. 1 guy and have a breakout year?

Josh

Spencer, Iowa

I don't know that you necessarily have to have a No. 1 guy. We rushed for over 1,900 yards last year in a rotation. To say that we want somebody that's going to carry the ball 25, 30 times a game -- my question is, "What's the difference if the yardage is there?" We ranked second in the league in rushing yardage behind Atlanta last year. You rank second in the NFL in rushing; you've got two backs that stayed healthy throughout the year; you have the speed/breakaway guy (Bell) who seems to be at his best when he carries the ball one to 10 times, and then you've got the power guy on the inside, and Ron will fill that role this year in place of Mike Anderson. I'm not saying that you don't want a No. 1 running back, so to speak, but I think we'll still be an effective offense in a rotational system.

1455445[/snapback]

in theory and on paper, it sounds good...but when you have a stud RB, you give him the ball....so they are opting to do the 2 RB rotation...due to mediocrity at the position...

when they have had a great back, there was no reason to take him off the field, you want to ride the momentum as more than half the backs out there thrive off of more touches just as much as they do a spell late in the half for a drive...

With the money invested in Losman, he should get the starting call and if he fails... again... then I would expect that Craig Nall is given a chance. The Bills already know what they have in Holcomb which is an average QB at best (and usually less). I think Holcomb is just a veteran back-up from here on out, much like he has always been considered.

Why did I think I read that Losman was cut just after the season was over? And that everyone was shocked that they gave up on a 1st rounder just after his first season?

They are installing a new offense, and the new coaching staff is supposedly not as sold on Losman being the answer as the old coaching staff. They probably would have dealt him if he weren't a 3.5 million dollar cap hit. I think they are clenching their teeth and riding him out, but hoping for the best.

Nall seems to be the young favorite of Levy and Jauron. Holcomb is the most consistent of the three with all his experience.

It'll come down to who does best in the new system. I'd place my bet on Holcomb to start the season, but I could easily be wrong. Nall is probably the long term answer.

This morning from kffl.com:

Chris Brown, of BuffaloBills.com, reports Buffalo Bills QB Kelly Holcomb appeared to be the team's most consistent passer during minicamp. He appeared more comfortable than the other quarterbacks in the Bills' new offensive system.

Dick Jauron stuck with Cade McCown when he was with the Bears and lived to regret that decision. I doubt he'll put his trust in another cocky, inconsistent QB this time around.

1456823[/snapback]

Ummm... which one of them is the cocky, inconsistent one? :D

With the money invested in Losman, he should get the starting call and if he fails... again... then I would expect that Craig Nall is given a chance. The Bills already know what they have in Holcomb which is an average QB at best (and usually less). I think Holcomb is just a veteran back-up from here on out, much like he has always been considered.

1455552[/snapback]

As a Buffalo fan, I agree with this.

Losman gets one last chance to prove he can be a starter in this league.

Seeing he was drafted by the Murlarkey/Donohoe gang,

Levy won't have much patience with him.

Worst case scenerio, Losman sucks, Nall has his chance to show what he's got,

and the Bills draft a QB next off-season.

Barring an unbelievable season by Nall...

As a Buffalo fan, I agree with this.

Losman gets one last chance to prove he can be a starter in this league.

Seeing he was drafted by the Murlarkey/Donohoe gang,

Levy won't have much patience with him.

Worst case scenerio, Losman sucks, Nall has his chance to show what he's got,

and the Bills draft a QB next off-season.

Barring  an unbelievable season by Nall...

1457487[/snapback]

So... people are just disregarding the guy that seems to be the most consistent and successful?

I was under the impression that Levy wanted to win, but I've been wrong before.

I was under the impression that Levy wanted to win, but I've been wrong before.

1457708[/snapback]

I figured the Bills would have made an effort to sign Kerry Collins by now, then fire every QB *but* Holcomb. But what do I know.

Edited by yo mama

This morning from kffl.com:

Chris Brown, of BuffaloBills.com, reports Buffalo Bills QB Kelly Holcomb appeared to be the team's most consistent passer during minicamp. He appeared more comfortable than the other quarterbacks in the Bills' new offensive system.

1456774[/snapback]

Thanks for the info, Atomic. At this point, I would expect Holcomb to look the most consistent. Whether he will be their guy come September is another question... but sounds like Holcomb may be worth a late-round flyer.

Thanks for the info, Atomic.  At this point, I would expect Holcomb to look the most consistent.  Whether he will be their guy come September is another question... but sounds like Holcomb may be worth a late-round flyer.

1457825[/snapback]

I took a shot. He seemed the safest bet in my dyansty league.

Not so much as the long term answer... but to start the first few games of the season (if you're a Palmer or Culpepper owner). Like I said... I've been wrong before, though.

Holcomb seems to be able to throw the long ball, his TD/INT ratio isn't great, but he seems to get the job done in the air. But, the real question is... Is the passing game of the Bills going to be worth anything other than an emergency start under any of these guys?

Who are their WRs? Evans? Reed? Is Peerless Price winning a starting job back? Andre Davis? Sheesh... even their TE is a castaway from another team. They seem to have a bunch of really truly mediocre talent at the receiving positions.