[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pancakes

Chief Dick

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad you bumped this. I took your advice when I first posted this thing, and ever since my pancakes have been great.

So, a belated THANK YOU!! :wacko::D

my pleasure. rajn and i were talking about breakfast in skybox... as the weather is getting a bit more brisk, mrs and i made it last weekend.... bumped primarily for him, but for anyone interested.

Edited by Bier Meister

Simply put--

Bier's recipe = Homerun

My older son, who has a small appetite, yelled at his brother not to bring his plate to the sink. My younger son was full and was getting ready to scrape the plate. My older son wanted to finish what was on the plate. After he finished that, he then got up and got himself seconds.

I threw some chocolate chips in the batter for the boys. I think next time I'll let the "pancake" cook for about 10 minutes then sprinkle choc chips. I think this way, they'd be all through the pancake rather than just on the bottom (top when you invert the pancake).

The carmelized apples were amazing and I recommend this over using syrup. You could also do bananas. Bananas would have the added attraction of being quicker and easier to prep.

i often make some carmelized apples for this:

2-3 apples (peeled, seeded, cut into wedges)

2 oz butter

2 oz brown sugar

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp vanilla ext.

melt butter. add br. sugar. stir/cook until thick and bubbly. add cin, nutmeg, vanilla. should incorporate quickly. add apples... cook about 5-7 min. basically you want to make sure the mixture remains syrupy and thick. if it is thin after 5-7 min, with a slotted spoon remove apple wedges and set aside to cool (in refridgerator). keep cooking the mixture until it is thick... remove from heat. add it to the apples....

This sounds like it would be killer on top of ice cream. Thanks Bier.

By the way, the scampi turned out great.. :wacko:

This sounds like it would be killer on top of ice cream. Thanks Bier.

By the way, the scampi turned out great.. :wacko:

what i've done: get some forzen puff pastry from the supermarket. thaw (10-15 min at room temp). cut into 5x5 squares. lay out on baking sheet..... put apple mixture on top.. heat until puffs... then add the ice cream (vanilla or cinnamon).

i haven't had scampi in a while... our chat inspired me to make it a night or two after was spoke.

mrs bier: why the hell can't the local italian places do that?!

Edited by Bier Meister

i haven't had scampi in a while... our chat inspired me to make it a night or two after was spoke.

PLEASE post. . looking for a good scampi recipe.

what i've done: get some forzen puff pastry from the supermarket. thaw (10-15 min at room temp). cut into 5x5 squares. lay out on baking sheet..... add apple mixture on top.. heat until puffs... then add the ice cream (vanilla or cinnamon).

Sounds awesome Bier. Thx

Edited by Bier Meister

• 5 months later...

I was craving pancakes this morning and ended up at a place called Bongo Room here in Chicago - according to many people and review sites, they are tops for breakfast in Chicago. Pancakes were terrible - very heavy and dense. I wish I would have seen this thread, I would have just made my own.

i have been doing some thin, swedish pancakes recently..... will post that in a little bit. very good. they are easily rolled, so you can use them like crepes and fill them if you guys desire.

I can think of very few things thin and Swedish that wouldn't be good.

swedish pancakes:

6 eggs

1/4 c sugar

1/2 c (1 stick) butter, melted

3/4 tsp salt

2 1/4 c flour

5 c milk

seperate whites from yolks. in large bowl mix yolks and sugar until a pale yellow. blend in butter and salt. gradually add flour and milk. beat until smooth. beat whites to soft peaks. fold into batter. brown lightly on each side. i definitely reccomend some type of fruit filling and rolling them.... lingonberry, huckleberry, boisenberry -> :wacko:

edit: most ideal to cover and refrigerate over night, then next day beat whites and fold in.... personally, these days i am not that patient for pancakes.

Edited by Bier Meister

I always like Bier's food but I'm too lazy to work for it in the mornings. I use Krusteaz Blueberry mix and add vanilla extract to the recipie on the box. I agree with the butter and cast iron skillet although now days, I am more inclined to use the electric skillet and some olive oil spary.

Add some bacon cooked witha fork and you are golden.

Might as well add my German pancake recipe into the mix.

Mix:

6 eggs

1 cup flour

1 cup milk

S&P

tsp vanilla

Pour mix into 9 x 13 pan already holding a stick of melted butter - bake @ 350 for 20-22 minutes. It will rise up the sides a great deal and collapse when you pull it out. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and your favorite toppings.

Any help with the Buckwheats?

• 1 year later...

"banana foster" sauce for pancakes, waffles, or french toast:

3 tbs unsalted butter

3 tbs brown sugar

2 sliced bananas

1/3 c kahlua

melt butter. add sugar. stir until well incorporated. add kahlua. cook for 2-3 min. add bananas. reduce until syrupy. serve over pancakes, waffles, french toast, or whatnot.

Any help with the Buckwheats?

I've got a decent mix at home. I'll check the label and get back to you.

But . . .

[caution - reformed eater discussion below]

I dropped 30 pounds this spring, and have kept them off, by limiting my consumption of carbs - sugars and starches. Minimal (almost no) sugar. No breads (other than the occasional multigrain something or other). No potatoes.

Most of the above pancake recipes - with the white flour and sugar - from a health standpoint are awful. Those calories go right to the gut.

You might want to try this oatmeal pancake recipe. They ain't light and fluffy, but they are pretty good.

Edited by Furd