[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Panthers front 4

PantherDave

I finally got a crumb on Jenkins-rehab going well, will be ready for regular season, so it gives Carolina- Rucker, Kemoeatu, Jenkins, Peppers, as the starting front four. I must admit, I'm really looking forward to seeing this group play together. Now the bench includes- Wallace, Lewis, Carstens and Moorehead, plus what ever rooks make the squad. Homerism aside, the Panthers are stacked at D line, which should really allow Davis and Morgan to flourish. The 2006 season across the league is shaping up to be very very good indeed-so how much longer must we wait?????? :D

Mighty fine DLine.  But, not the best. :D

1455864[/snapback]

Your not calling the D-Line that an old, about to retire, Jerome Bettis ran over for 100 yards in the 2nd half alone (including running over Urlacher on his way to a TD), the best.......are you ? :D

Edited by Menudo

Any word out of mini-camps, PD? I'm really curious about the LB situation. Where are people lining up?

I'm sure someone in the Handbook IDP draft is about to take Davis as the WLB and I want to make sure I make fun of them appropriately. :D

1456811[/snapback]

Read this, it looks more like strong.

I still think it's up in the air, the only sure thing is it won't be MLB. I'd be hesitant to make a call right now, as the aquisition of Diggs and Adams has to play out. Diggs has played both in GB, so it's to early to tell right now.

The key will be some PS games, and if Davis is kept at either position SLB or WLB, and the rest are shuttled in for looks, then that may be truer barometer in which to measure the LB corp for the Panthers in 2006. Also, with Coach Fox, he will not lay any cards on the table right now, other than he likes this group he has for his LB corp.

I still think it's up in the air, the only sure thing is it won't be MLB. I'd be hesitant to make a call right now, as the aquisition of Diggs and Adams has to play out. Diggs has played both in GB, so it's to early to tell right now.

1456985[/snapback]

Honestly, I don't see Diggs or Adams as anything more than backups.

Adams is a great special teams player, but failed in his first try at full-time duty with the Eagles. Instead of re-signing him, they opted to bring back their WLB from before, Shawn Barber, who was a huge, injury-prone disappointment in KC.

I watched Diggs plenty last year. They allowed him to get healthy, but he still couldn't beat out a bunch of young scrubs for playing time. I like him as a former Packer, but he won't be a factor as a starter for the Panthers.

Honestly, I don't see Diggs or Adams as anything more than backups.

Adams is a great special teams player, but failed in his first try at full-time duty with the Eagles. Instead of re-signing him, they opted to bring back their WLB from before, Shawn Barber, who was a huge, injury-prone disappointment in KC.

I watched Diggs plenty last year. They allowed him to get healthy, but he still couldn't beat out a bunch of young scrubs for playing time. I like him as a former Packer, but he won't be a factor as a starter for the Panthers.

1457078[/snapback]

Seward spent all last season before injury backing-up Short at SLB, so in saying that, if Seward wins a starting job, it will most likely be at SLB, where he's played a year in the system. My gut feeling and nothing more is Seward SLB Morgan MLB and Davis WLB.

Seward spent all last season before injury backing-up Short at SLB, so in saying that, if Seward wins a starting job, it will most likely be at SLB, where he's played a year in the system. My gut feeling and nothing more is Seward SLB Morgan MLB and Davis WLB.

1457083[/snapback]

And a lot of people would agree. :D That's why Davis will be selected very soon in the IDP Handbook draft.

And a lot of people would agree. :D That's why Davis will be selected very soon in the IDP Handbook draft.

1457086[/snapback]

If the question is "will Davis start", then "yes" he will-of that I have no doubt.

If the question is "will Davis start", then "yes" he will-of that I have no doubt.

1457093[/snapback]

No, that's not really the question. I think a lot of people drafted Thomas Davis last year as a rookie -- or at least wanted to draft him -- and are now overvaluing him as an IDP, under the assumption that he has the WLB position on lockdown. They see him as just a badass tackler with wheels who could be racking up numbers in his second year.

I'm a little more skeptical, I guess. Last year, I drafted Seward in both of my dynasty leagues (and he's just chillin' on my taxi squad) mostly because I figured he might take the MLB job when the Panthers got sick of Morgan's constant injuries. Plus, I figured he'd get a look at WLB if Witherspoon left.

Now, the WLB job certainly seems like it will come down to either Seward or Davis. Of course, if you're looking strictly at their respective sizes, Davis (6-0, 230) looks a lot more like a WLB and Seward (6-3, 250) looks like a MLB or SLB. However, their playing styles have to factor in. From what I understand, Davis is better at both covering TEs and blitzing -- two of the primary strong-side roles. Seward has great ball-flow instincts and football intelligence -- two characteristics necessary to be effective on the weak side.

I'm sure they want to get Davis on the field as a starter, so I'm sure they'll just plug him in where he fits best. I seriously doubt even the coaches know where that will be yet. My gut feeling -- and that's all it is -- is that his ability to shed blocks and natural athleticism will make the coaches feel most comfortable putting him at SLB. Of all the LBs not named Morgan, Davis has the best shot at covering guys like Crumpler. On the weak side -- again, more gut-feeling stuff here -- I believe Seward will have the edge over the rest of the LBs and either he or Draft will sub in for Morgan when he gets hurt. :D

No matter what happens, I asked for some homer input on the situation and I got it -- quickly, too. So, thanks, PD. :D

It's still early, but the Panthers opened mini-camp with Keith Adams and Thomas Davis working as the starting outside linebackers.

Adams is one of several linebackers competing for that spot. The others include Chris Draft, Adam Seward and Na'il Diggs.

Although Davis is still listed as a safety on a team-issued roster, it's pretty obvious he's settled in at linebacker. He's even changed his number to 58.

...a little tidbit C and P'ed from team reports.

Your not calling the D-Line that an old, about to retire, Jerome Bettis ran over for 100 yards in the 2nd half alone (including running over Urlacher on his way to a TD), the best.......are you ?  :D

1456732[/snapback]

Nope. I'm calling the same defense that sacked Jake Delhomme 7 times in 1 game the best defensive line in the league! :D

Nope.  I'm calling the same defense that sacked Jake Delhomme 7 times in 1 game the best defensive line in the league! :D

1458051[/snapback]

How many did they get in the playoff game? :D Hmmmm...

The correct answer to that question is 1!

Different game with a different start that put the Bears D on their heels and provided a different outcome. They are certainly very good, but I am not sure they are the best.... I am not sure the Panthers are the best either, but we are definitely a top 3 DL if everyone is healthy. :D

Just picking on you a little since you never really showed up to take your medicine after you confidently claimed the Bears would easily take care of the Panthers.... :D

Edited by PSULions