[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who catches the ball in JAC?

seabronc

He just dont look like he will pan out.  He got to have that fire.  And I dont see it in him.

1462185[/snapback]

Says the Wilford owner :D

No more Jimmy Smith...this in from ESPN.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Jimmy Smith, one of the most prolific receivers in NFL history, has decided to retire.

Smith, a five-time Pro Bowl selection who overcame several health problems and a drug addiction during his 13 seasons, scheduled a news conference Thursday with the Jacksonville Jaguars to announce the decision.

Jimmy Smith had 862 receptions with the Jaguars.

The 37-year-old receiver led the Jags with 70 catches for 1,023 yards and six touchdowns last season. He ranks seventh in NFL history with 862 receptions and 11th in receiving yards. He has more receptions than every receiver in the Hall of Fame, and only Marvin Harrison has more catches and yards receiving than Smith since 1996.

Smith contemplated retirement during the offseason, but Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio asked him to take his time and be sure he was making the right choice. His announcement came a day before the team opened a three-day minicamp.

Smith's longevity was surprising -- even to him -- especially considering what he overcame.

In 2001, he had three operations to remove scar tissue from his abdomen. Some questioned whether he would play again, but he caught 112 passes for 1,373 yards despite being arrested in November that year for suspicion of drunken driving. Tests later revealed he had cocaine in his system. He vehemently denied using the drug.

He was suspended for the first four games of the 2003 season for violating the league's substance-abuse policy. He then publicly acknowledged an addiction and spent several weeks in rehab.

All-time NFL receptions leaders

Jerry Rice 1,549

Cris Carter 1,101

Tim Brown 1,094

Andre Reed 951

Art Monk 940

Marvin Harrison* 927

Jimmy Smith 862

Irving Fryar 851

Larry Centers 826

Keenan McCardell* 825

*Active

He had other issues early in his career, too.

The third receiver selected in the 1992 draft behind Desmond Howard and Carl Pickens, Smith broke his leg and missed most of his rookie season. In 1993, he needed an emergency appendectomy and suffered through infection and stomach problems. He missed the entire year. He didn't play in 1994, either, after getting cut by Dallas and Philadelphia.

In 1995, he caught on with the expansion Jaguars after his mother sent coach Tom Coughlin a binder of press clippings to help him earn a tryout.

He made the most of his chance and set receiving records that could be hard to break.

*And Makes this conversation a little more interesting.

+1

I read somewhere(can't remember where for the life of me) that Jimmy is ready to take a back seat to the young guys and just be a mentor this upcoming year.

MJones will be the top WR in Jack this year, IMO.

1456025[/snapback]

:D When I said mentor, I meant that he was gonna retire......... :D

have any of you that are so high on this matt jones bandwagon ever seen him play??? mad talent, but the dude has a lot of work to to before he is ready to be a #2 receiver in the NFL. I read an article last week that says he still doesn't have his hands up coming out of breaks. We're talking day one stuff here.

Many might think I'm just saying this because of my man-crush on Reggie Williams. Some may also remember, however, that I was high on the Matt Jones bandwagon at one point. I've watched quite a bit of film on this team. Jones isn't ready. Period.

I'm not saying that Reggie is ready, but if he can ever get any separation off the ball, he's a much more polished receiver. Even on tape.

Edited by Seahawks21

are any of you that are so high on this matt jones bandwagon ever seen him play???  mad talent, but the dude has a lot of work to to before he is ready to be a #2 receiver in the NFL.  I read an article last week that says he still doesn't have his hands up coming out of breaks.  We're talking day one stuff here. 

Many might think I'm just saying this because of my man-crush on Reggie Williams.  Some may also remember, however, that I was high on the Matt Jones bandwagon at one point.  I've watched quite a bit of film on this team.  Jones isn't ready.  Period. 

I'm not saying that Reggie is ready, but if he can ever get any separation off the ball, he's a much more polished receiver.  Even on tape.

1463301[/snapback]

The Key word in that paragraph is at the end of it, "IF" he can ever get any separation....that is a big question for him........Wilford will be a great pick in mid rounds of upcoming drafts.

are any of you that are so high on this matt jones bandwagon ever seen him play???  mad talent, but the dude has a lot of work to to before he is ready to be a #2 receiver in the NFL.  I read an article last week that says he still doesn't have his hands up coming out of breaks.  We're talking day one stuff here. 

1463301[/snapback]

Sure, Jones is a freak. Tall, fast and with great hands . Great red zone target but not really a #2 WR...yet. Jimmy should have stayed 1 more year.

When I heard about Smith's retirement on the radio today, I thought of this thread and said to myself "well, I bet that discussion just got a bit more interesting."