[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A Bears tight end?

Ursa Majoris

This from the Minneapolis Star Tribune (no link because you'd need to register)

To borrow a word from a sport that Zach Puchtel actually isn't involved with these days, life seems to be throwing him a lot of curveballs. He left Harvard to try Division I basketball and ended up starting for the Gophers. Not long after that ended, and with Puchtel enrolled in fall classes back at Harvard, his agent got a call from the Chicago Bears. The question: Would the 6-6, 250-pound Puchtel consider trying out as a tight end?

"It's a shock. I never expected it," Puchtel said. "But sometimes life throws you things, and you have to look into them. I thought it was something I should try."

So Puchtel -- an all-Metro football player at Hopkins in 2000 who turned down scholarships to Nebraska and Wisconsin but last played the sport as a Harvard freshman -- attended the Bears' three-day minicamp Friday through Sunday. He learned blocking techniques, caught every pass thrown to him and generally tried to bring himself up to speed after four years out of the game. There were several eye-opening moments, including the level of professionalism exuded at the camp, Puchtel said Monday. But he also had fun and said he feels he performed well.

"I really didn't know what to expect, so I just told myself, 'Do the best you can, you have nothing to lose,' " he said. "I do feel I did everything I could this weekend. It's up to them at this point."

The notion of Puchtel sticking with the Bears or another team is still a long shot, but it's hardly unheard of. San Diego's Antonio Gates, perhaps the NFL's top tight end, was an undrafted free agent who never played college football. Two others who played hoops, not football in college -- Kai Lewis from George Mason and Ed Nelson from UConn -- recently signed free agent deals with the Giants and Rams, respectively.

The balance, hands and physical nature required in the low post translate well onto the football field, and Puchtel said he thinks he could have a future in the NFL.

"Absolutely, just because I know what kind of person I am," he said. "I know I'm not at the physical level I need to be at right now, but I don't doubt myself."

Bears trying the same route as SD with Gates? :D

i'm really not sure what to think about ttheir approach to the position in the draft, as there were ample opportunities to choose one. Tim Day and Cooper Wallace were signed as undrafted FA last week, and Desmond Clark just had a little write up in the inline Trib recently that should have been called "Why I Matter."

Thing is, Turner's (our OC) offenses rely on blocking more than receiving skills, so it isn't currently a need to have a Gonzo type of TE. Then again, there's this guy named Heath Miller......

The fun pick for the O looks to be Runnels, the fullback from OK. That was a true upgrade, and I look forward to watching that kid block in The Blue.

I think it's kind of a cool story. You've got professional scouts looking for that hidden untapped talent... then suddenly some dude gets a call out of the blue to come workout with a professional football team. Who knows if he's any good, but you gotta be rooting for the dude!

To watch him play basketball, he has the aggressiveness. He went to Harvard so he has the IQ. He played Rugby at Harvard so he has the toughness. The only question is he athletic enough to make up for his lack of experience? From all that I heard out of the U of MN last year, he is a great kid that works harder than anybody else. Best of luck to him.

Thing is, Turner's (our OC) offenses rely on blocking more than receiving skills, so it isn't currently a need to have a Gonzo type of TE. Then again, there's this guy named Heath Miller......

1458455[/snapback]

I'm guessing you never heard of Jay Novacheck.

I'm guessing you never heard of Jay Novacheck.

1458535[/snapback]

And I'm guessing you've never heard of Ron Turner Chicago Bears Offensive Coordinator, not Norv Turner latest in a long history of Al Davis plank walkers. :D

And I'm guessing you've never heard of Ron Turner Chicago Bears Offensive Coordinator, not Norv Turner latest in a long history of Al Davis plank walkers. :D

1458588[/snapback]

Oops, I'm guessying you be right. :D

Not to get to much away from this topic, but why don’t NFL teams get sumo wrestlers and convert them to linemen.  I bet they can make more money here.

1458597[/snapback]

Aaron Gibson was a bust.

Not to get to much away from this topic, but why don’t NFL teams get sumo wrestlers and convert them to linemen.  I bet they can make more money here.

1458597[/snapback]

Half the O-linemen in the league look like sumo wrestlers already.