[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Are the Rams thinking defense?

Randall

A totally new look on defense

By Bill Coats

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

05/10/2006

Rams defensive coordinator Jim Haslett.

(By Huy Richard Mach/P-D)

Rams defensive coordinator Jim Haslett flinched a bit Tuesday when informed that coach Scott Linehan, in the days leading up to the NFL draft, had jokingly referred to him as "the lobby king."

"We had 10 draft picks, and five were offense and five were defense," Haslett pointed out. "So it came out even."

True. But three of the team's first four picks were defenders - cornerback Tye Hill in the first round, and defensive tackle Claude Wroten and linebacker Jon Alston in the third. Plus, the bulk of the veteran players the Rams have signed in the offseason also play defense.

So, Haslett must have been effective in petitioning Linehan and the front-office brass for some new personnel with which to rebuild the defense. That unit sagged to 30th in the 32-team league last season, when the Rams went 6-10.

"I think the whole defense has to play better than they played the last couple of years, especially on the run game," Haslett said. "I want our defensive team to be tough-minded and physical. But I also want them to be good (at) technique, smart, and I want them to be good tacklers. And I don't think it was a good tackling football team last year."

That was just one of the defense's problems in 2005, as the Rams yielded more yards on the ground than every other team in the NFC.

Defensive ends Leonard Little and Anthony Hargrove are expected to regain their jobs, Pisa Tinoisamoa isn't likely to be uprooted at strongside linebacker, and third-year pro Brandon Chillar appears to have the edge at weakside linebacker. The seven other spots could be filled with new starters by opening day - Sept. 2 vs. Denver.

Gone are tackles Ryan Pickett and Damione Lewis, safeties Adam Archuleta and Mike Furrey, linebacker Chris Claiborne and defensive end Tyoka Jackson. In addition to the draftees, new arrivals include tackle La'Roi Glover, linebackers Will Witherspoon and Raonall Smith, safety Corey Chavous and cornerback Fakhir Brown.

"The people that we brought in are quality guys," Haslett said. "They're tough individuals, they're tough-minded, they love football, and they're going to be good for this team." Among the holdovers, Haslett said he's detected a determination to pry themselves from near the bottom of the league's statistical standings.

"From being around them the last couple of months, I think first of all it's a smart football team defensively; they're quick learners," he said. "I think they want to do everything right, from what I've seen. They want to do things to please the coach and to please themselves."

Haslett, 50, is working just one side of the ball for the first time since 2000, when he was hired as the New Orleans Saints' head coach. He was fired Jan. 2 - the same day the Rams dismissed Mike Martz. Previously, Haslett, a former NFL linebacker, had been a defensive coordinator with the Saints (1996) and the Pittsburgh Steelers (1997-99).

The transition back to coordinator has been "all right," Haslett said. "I struggled a little bit early with it, but I think for the most part it's gone well. I just like coaching football. It doesn't make a difference what level it's at or what you're doing. I just like being around the players and working schemes."

And, despite his distaste for the term "lobby king," he said he likes working for Linehan.

"The reason I came here is because of Scott. I think Scott's got a good feel for this organization and this team, and has done a great job up to this point," Haslett said. "I think his best quality is, he's extremely smart. I think that'll show once we get going."

Ram-blings

Linehan said he remains interested in veteran defensive linemen Grady Jackson and Jason Fisk, both free agents. "We're still talking to those guys. It's just a matter of making (a deal) work," he said. ... Despite a report out of Miami, Linehan said the Rams have not discussed a front-office position with Dolphins general manager Randy Mueller. ... Linehan and his staff will conduct a free clinic for area high school coaches May 19-20 at Rams Park. Coaches can register by calling C.C. Thompson at 314-516-8818 or e-mailing her at cthompson@rams.nfl.com. Deadline for registration is Friday. ... A few spaces remain for the "Snowman Scramble," a golf tournament May 22 at Fox Run Golf Club in Eureka. The event, to be held in memory of the late Jack Snow, longtime Rams broadcaster, will benefit the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. For information, call Pam Benoist at 314-516-8722 or e-mail her at pbenoist@rams.nfl.com.

bcoats@post-dispatch.com 314-340-8189