[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brian Calhoun

kryptonite

Given Martz as the OC in Detroit and Calhoun's ability to both run and catch...what type of season do you see for him in 2006? Do you see him taking over KJones? Is he the man this season or in '07?

He was pretty amazing at UW last year....but then again, so were Dayne and Bennett.... :doah:

Am I alone in thinking he will excel as a Lion?

Given Martz as the OC in Detroit and Calhoun's ability to both run and catch...what type of season do you see for him in 2006?  Do you see him taking over KJones?  Is he the man this season or in '07? 

He was pretty amazing at UW last year....but then again, so were Dayne and Bennett.... :doah:

Am I alone in thinking he will excel as a Lion?

1461881[/snapback]

No, he will get his shot, but KJ is still the starter for now. I think he will start as a 3rd down back and they will start throwing to him out of the backfield, but whether he will replace KJ is debatable.

Do you feel lucky? I think he's a decent sleeper candidate.

Do you feel lucky? I think he's a decent sleeper candidate.

1461908[/snapback]

I think he's more like a DEEP sleeper candidate. If I were a KJones owner, I might take a risk on him as insurance. Or if you have a really big league with big rosters, he'd be worth stashing. But I'd look for very little out of him this year.

I think he's more like a DEEP sleeper candidate.  If I were a KJones owner, I might take a risk on him as insurance.  Or if you have a really big league with big rosters, he'd be worth stashing.  But I'd look for very little out of him this year.

1461946[/snapback]

I agree. Right now he's listed as a 3rd down back/ST player and 3rd on the depth chart.

I agree. Right now he's listed as a 3rd down back/ST player and 3rd on the depth chart.

1461984[/snapback]

So was Clinton Portis when he was drafted. Not saying he'll be Portis or anything, but where he is listed on the depth chart 2 weeks after the draft really doesn't mean anything.

So was Clinton Portis when he was drafted.  Not saying he'll be Portis or anything, but where he is listed on the depth chart 2 weeks after the draft really doesn't mean anything.

1462016[/snapback]

No, with KJ he will get his shot.

In Portis' case was that when Mike Anderson went out for the year?

Calhoun was amazing in college. I watch a lot of Big 10 football and loved what he did for Wisconsin. He is a small back with tons of power. I think given the right system, he could thrive. If Kevin Jones gets hurt, I would watch out for Calhoun. Handcuffing Calhoun wih Jones isn't a bad idea. That said though, I think Kevin Jones is that good and it'll be hard to take the starting job away from him if he is healthy.

I just not really sure.  But I know KJ is always one ankle injury away from losing his job.

1462177[/snapback]

Can't you say that about any RB?

All offensive positions for the Lions will be settled in training camp. KJ didn't get a chance to be "the guy" last year with Mooch. He showed a lot of ability his rookie year. That being said, the job will go to the best guy. If Calhoun shows ability to play, you'll hear about it in all of the Detroit papers.

KJ has a history of ankle injures going all the way back to his college days.

1462333[/snapback]

True, but his major injuries while in Detroit have been shoulder and elbow problems. I only remember him missing one game from an ankle in 2004 against Atlanta, if I remember correctly.

True, but his major injuries while in Detroit have been shoulder and elbow problems.  I only remember him missing one game from an ankle in 2004 against Atlanta, if I remember correctly.

1462352[/snapback]

Your correct. All I am saying that if he has one of those injuries now. His job could be up for grabs. I dont think it would take more than 3 games to see why he was a steal for the Lions. But that would mean Brain would have to start those 3 games. He got the talent. Will he be able to show it off like Barber, Marion. Did in his short time with Julius Jones going down.

KJ's stats may have been ugly last year, but he runs the ball hard and doesn't give up. I'm not a big college guy, so I haven't seen much of Calhoun, but it seems unlikely that he'll be that great this year if he lasted until the third round. Not great enough to unseat a healthy KJ, that is.

KJ's stats may have been ugly last year, but he runs the ball hard and doesn't give up.  I'm not a big college guy, so I haven't seen much of Calhoun, but it seems unlikely that he'll be that great this year if he lasted until the third round.  Not great enough to unseat a healthy KJ, that is.

1462813[/snapback]

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School

1 11 DeMarcus Ware OLB Troy

1 20 Marcus Spears DE Louisiana State

2 42 Kevin Burnett OLB Tennessee

4 109 Marion Barber RB Minnesota 4 132 Chris Canty DE Virginia

6 208 Justin Beriault FS Ball State

6 209 Rob Petitti T Pittsburgh

7 224 Jay Ratliff DE Auburn

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/teams/DAL

I wish I could agree with that statement. Draft status means almost nothing. Yeah if a team drafted u higher u will try to play him But just because he is a 3rd rounder dont mean he is wrote off. Look at Barber most people are saying he should start over Julius Jones.

Lets look at the Bengals now........

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/teams/CIN

1 26 Chris Perry RB Michigan

2 49 Keiwan Ratliff CB Florida

2 56 Madieu Williams FS Maryland

3 80 Caleb Miller LB Arkansas

3 96 Landon Johnson OLB Purdue

4 114 Matthias Askew DT Michigan State

4 117 Robert Geathers DE Georgia

4 123 Stacy Andrews T Mississippi

5 149 Maurice Mann WR Nevada

6 183 Greg Brooks CB Southern Mississippi

7 218 Casey Bramlet QB Wyoming

1 4 Justin Smith DE Missouri

2 36 Chad Johnson WR Oregon State

3 66 Sean Brewer TE San Jose State

4 100 Rudi Johnson RB Auburn

5 135 Victor Leyva T Arizona State

6 168 Riall Johnson OLB Stanford

7 204 T.J. Houshmandzadeh WR Oregon State

Now if you were to say Rudi Johnson would be unseated by Chris Perry because he was a 1st round pick. Why havent it happened. HEART! But more so because Draft status means almost nothing if you aint putting it on the field yr in and yr out. Remember they did this in college and not the NFL. They just HOPE it will translate to the NFL.

Therefore to write off Calhoun strickly because he was drafted in the 3rd round means nothing. You will play the player that will make you win games. Im not saying Calhoun is the second coming. But just dont say it because of where he was drafted at.

I could do a few more but you get my point. And one last one. Though Reggie Williams vs Ernest Wilford. Reggie same draft class 1st round and Wilford 4th round. And Wilford is producing alot more.

No, with KJ he will get his shot.

In Portis' case was that when Mike Anderson went out for the year?

1462038[/snapback]

Yes, Portis beat out Olandis Gary who was supposed to be the primary back. Everyone saw that one coming though, Gary is not exactly 'franchise' material. But Portis sure did WOW everyone in Denver.

Therefore to write off Calhoun strickly because he was drafted in the 3rd round means nothing.

Duh. Everyone knows of examples of late-round guys who succeed in the NFL. However, the reality is that NFL GM's are generally pretty good at their jobs. In general, guys who are picked later in the draft have a lower probability of success than those picked higher. This doesn't mean that there aren't superstars in the 3rd, 4th, and later rounds, only that there are fewer of them than first-round guys.

All I was saying is that there is probably a reason several RB's were picked ahead of Calhoun, and the odds of him coming in and beating out a guy who has some proven success in the NFL aren't very good.

Duh.  Everyone knows of examples of late-round guys who succeed in the NFL.  However, the reality is that NFL GM's are generally pretty good at their jobs.  In general, guys who are picked later in the draft have a lower probability of success than those picked higher.  This doesn't mean that there aren't superstars in the 3rd, 4th, and later rounds, only that there are fewer of them than first-round guys.

All I was saying is that there is probably a reason several RB's were picked ahead of Calhoun, and the odds of him coming in and beating out a guy who has some proven success in the NFL aren't very good.

1463295[/snapback]

Understood.

Folks above are saying that Kevin Jones hits the hole hard and is a tough running back. I watched a fair amount of Kevin Jones last year, and he looked absolutely awful. His best move (and he did this time and time again) was to rush up to the line of scrimmage, do a half-spin move, and fall backwards either into (1) a linebacker or (2) the backs of his offensive linemen. The guy did NOT hit holes with authority. He had zero vision. He looked awful.

If that same KJ shows up in 2006, Calhoun will be staring at a huge open door.

Folks above are saying that Kevin Jones hits the hole hard and is a tough running back.  I watched a fair amount of Kevin Jones last year, and he looked absolutely awful.  His best move (and he did this time and time again) was to rush up to the line of scrimmage, do a half-spin move, and fall backwards either into (1) a linebacker or (2) the backs of his offensive linemen.  The guy did NOT hit holes with authority.  He had zero vision.  He looked awful.

1465141[/snapback]

:D

Folks above are saying that Kevin Jones hits the hole hard and is a tough running back.  I watched a fair amount of Kevin Jones last year, and he looked absolutely awful.  His best move (and he did this time and time again) was to rush up to the line of scrimmage, do a half-spin move, and fall backwards either into (1) a linebacker or (2) the backs of his offensive linemen.  The guy did NOT hit holes with authority.  He had zero vision.  He looked awful.

1465141[/snapback]

I haven't seen him run much. He seemed to put up some great #'s in '04. Was he running differently or what made everyone think that he was the man then?

I haven't seen him run much.  He seemed to put up some great #'s in '04. Was he running differently or what made everyone think that he was the man then?

1465696[/snapback]

I guess his numbers. I did not watch him much in 04 (just got the Sunday Ticket last year), so I can't say what he was doing differently. All I know is the back I watched in 2005 did not impress me even a little.

1465141[/snapback]

I would imagine that he, as was the case with many Lions players, just didn't care that much.