[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

est. Wilford stats for 2006?

revhookem

Matt Jones had just 36 catches last year for 432 yards in the first ever since he left being a college QB to being a NFL WR. He only had one game with more than 55 yards. He played a #3 role last year and it would be a genuine surprise to see him become the #1 WR in JAX this year in catches and yards. He might for TDs if they throw it to him.

I said it before in another thread:

Del Rio said he's still asked questions such as, "'Gee, Coach, when are you going to get a wide receiver?' We have a lot of wide receivers, and we like them.''

Del Rio said he expects Williams, who suffered a concussion and lost his starting job last season, will break out as a third-year pro and likes the player's work ethic.

"I thought the one thing he continues to do is work hard," Del Rio said. "He practices as hard as any player I've been around. He really competes at it. I think he's got a lot of talent, and we just hope he can put it all together this year and have a big impact for us.''

So Williams is not done yet. I am not expecting him to break out but I think he gets more opportunity to play which takes away from Wilford and Jones. They spent too much on him to throw him away without at least some chance to rise to the occasion this year.

Wilford is a slow receiver but he has the best hands and route running. If I had to lay money down right now, I would bet Wilford is the lead WR and that Jones may eclipse Williams, but the two of them will keep each other from having a big year. Jones still needs development to be an every down flanker or split end.

Matt Jones had just 36 catches last year for 432 yards in the first ever since he left being a college QB to being a NFL WR. He only had one game with more than 55 yards. He played a #3 role last year and it would be a genuine surprise to see him become the #1 WR in JAX this year in catches and yards. He might for TDs if they throw it to him.

I said it before in another thread:

So Williams is not done yet. I am not expecting him to break out but I think he gets more opportunity to play which takes away from Wilford and Jones. They spent too much on him to throw him away without at least some chance to rise to the occasion this year.

Wilford is a slow receiver but he has the best hands and route running. If I had to lay money down right now, I would bet Wilford is the lead WR and that Jones may eclipse Williams, but the two of them will keep each other from having a big year.  Jones still needs development to be an every down flanker or split end.

1463756[/snapback]

I agree with you mostly, I expect their WR's to kill each other off fantasywise, I just expect Matt Jones to take over as the go to guy as the year progresses.Wilford has a hard time creating separation and that will affect his use between the 20's. I think Jones can give them separation and use his excellent height advantage to help them no matter where on the field.

I think Williams will be Wilfords opposite as he will be more useful between the 20's and less useful in the redzone.

J'Ville has a excellent passing schedule this upcoming season and a injury by any of those 3 could turn 1 of them into a stud.

No way a converted QB in his 2nd season becomes the #1 WR, so Wilford will have every opportunity to be the proverbial "#1". Remember, though, that Reggie Williams is still there. Six of Williams' 35 receptions were 20+ yards in length. A whopping 23 of those 35 receptions were for first downs. Additionally, Williams started 15 of 16 games as a rookie in 2004. :D Who knows.

Still, it's a better bet to think Wilford will be the #1.

The depth charts I have looked at today have Reggie Williams behind Wilford on the left with Jones as the primary backup to the recently retired Smith on the right. Should be interesting to see how things play out.

I'd project Wilford at 1,100 yards and 9 TDs. Jones will probably get 800 and 5 TDs. Williams, probably 700 and 4 TDs.

Edited by darin3

They spent too much on him to throw him away without at least some chance to rise to the occasion this year.

1463756[/snapback]

Respectfully disagree on your money premise DMD.

See all these 1st rd picks (some a considerably higher investment than Williams);

David Terrell (cut for sucking)

Charles Rogers (rumors he'll be cut for sucking & being an imbecile)

Rashaun Woods (traded for a bag of peanuts)

Bryant Johnson (does he even play - sarcasm)

Donte' Stallworth (rumors the Saints were shopping him)

Ashley Lelie (pouting in Denver)

Koren Robinson (cut for being an imbecile)

Rod Gardner (cut for sucking)

Freddie Mitchell (cut for sucking & being an imbecile)

Peter Warrick (cut for semi sucking)

Plaxico Burress (cut for semi sucking & being an imbecile)

Travis Taylor (cut for sucking)

Sylvester Morris (cut for sucking & being an injury waiting to happen)

R. Jay Soward (cut for sucking & being an imbecile)

That's just since 2000.

The morale to the story is "If ya ain't got it, ya ain't got it" and remember, this is the Not For Long league.

Williams will still be with the team this year and get his shot, no doubt, but if he doesn't get it going early & often, he'll drop down to WR #3 quicker than you can say Constantinople.

I also think people are severely overlooking what Marcedes Lewis will contribute to the Jax passing game.

1463816[/snapback]

What do all those WRs have to do with DMD's prediction of Williams getting another chance to play and having some kind of potential statistical impact on the team? :D

The JAX WR core has the chance to become a WRBC. Williams is an athletic beast, but he could cement himself as a total bust...he might also steel 5+ TD's from the other overhyped JAX WR's.

Edited by bushwacked

What do all those stats have to do with DMD's prediction of Williams getting another chance to play and having some kind of potential statistical impact?  :D

1463827[/snapback]

Well they weren't stats, but that's just semantics. I know what you mean.

My point is that money won't be a factor for him being in the line up as a #1 WR or even a member of the jags after this year.

Production will determine that.

I see you edited your wording from stats to WR's. :D

Edited by Big Score 1

Marcedes Lewis does have to be factored in - completely agree. But a rookie tight end rarely does that much really and his biggest strength is his height and catching abililty. You could argue that the player he will most affect will be Matt Jones.

And remember too, this is all said with the premise that Leftwich is going to remain healthy for the first time in his career and that he can make a shift from not having Jimmy Smith as a crutch for the first year ever. Leftwich has never thrown more than 15 TDs per season in his NFL career.

Oh yes, and the rushing game may, or may not, balance out the offense.

The morale to the story is "If ya ain't got it, ya ain't got it" and remember, this is the Not For Long league.

Williams will still be with the team this year and get his shot, no doubt, but if he doesn't get it going early & often, he'll drop down to WR #3 quicker than you can say Constantinople.

I also think people are severely overlooking what Marcedes Lewis will contribute to the Jax passing game.

1463816[/snapback]

Hey now!! Easy on Reggie. The guy has "IT". That said, he's always been immature. It's not the "bad kind" of immature however. He's a bit like Nate Robinson, if anyone is familiar. It is just taking him a bit longer to adapt to being an NFL player, where he can't just show up and dominate. In projecting this season, I don't think he has done enough to date to have a typical 3rd year breakout season. He will take some major strides towards it however, and this time next year, we'll see a guy getting ready to have a huge breakout in his fourth instead.

I've got to agree with you on Mercedes Lewis. Dude catches absolutely EVERYTHING. I don't just mean the stuff he is supposed to catch, I really mean EVERYTHING. He's got a ridiculous amount of "go up and get it". It might take some time for Leftwich to get used to throwing to an actual TE rather than and undersized tackle, but Lewis will come on strong this year, especially if none of the receivers end up stepping up.

Edited by Seahawks21