[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saints working Bennett trade

Big Score 1

Dolphins

Interest in Bennett:

Officials from the Dolphins and the Saints spoke several times this week about a potential trade for running back Michael Bennett, a source close to Bennett said Thursday.

Rick Mueller, the Saints' director of player personnel, is the brother of Randy Mueller, the Dolphins' general manager.

Bennett, who signed with the Saints as a free agent in March after playing for the Minnesota Vikings each of his five seasons in the league, became potential trade bait after New Orleans drafted running back Reggie Bush.

Although Sammy Morris is projected to replace Williams as Ronnie Brown's backup, Bennett also would vie for that spot if a trade happened.

www.palmbeachpost.com

Texans

May 12, 2006, 2:32AM

Texans work on deal for Bennett

Veteran RB now with Saints would add depth

Just a week after signing free-agent running back Antowain Smith, the Texans are seeking even more depth in their backfield.

The team is in talks with the New Orleans Saints in hopes of acquiring veteran running back Michael Bennett via trade.

With the Saints drafting Southern California running back Reggie Bush, Bennett was pushed to No. 3 on their depth chart behind Bush and Deuce McAllister.

Bennett played the first five seasons of his career with the Minnesota Vikings before signing with the Saints in March.

The Texans already have Domanick Davis, Smith and Vernand Morency at running back, but they are seeking more depth. Davis is coming off a knee injury that sidelined him for five games last year. Smith is 34 years old and considered a situational back. Morency is inexperienced as he enters his second season.

Bennett, 5-9, 209, rushed for 473 yards on 126 carries (3.8 average) last season.

He was a former first-round draft pick out of Wisconsin in 2001 and had a breakout second season with Minnesota, rushing for 1,296 yards.

Bennett has struggled because of injuries since. Last season was the first time since 2002 that he was healthy enough to play in all 16 games.

www.houstonchronicle.com

Best guess Saints get a 3rd rounder maybe, but they eat Bennett's signing bonus (approx $1,000,000?) & Bennett plays under existing contract terms for new team?

A third rounder?!?!  They can keep him. 

I can see a sixth though.

1463929[/snapback]

Ok, ok...maybe I was being too generous suggesting a 3rd. :D

6th rounder eh?

Sold.  And when Ronnie wants water, Bennett better be quick about it.

1464177[/snapback]

Bennett reprising the Adam Sandler role of Water Boy...

Eeeerrrrgggghhh...ker thunk!

Don't you insult mah Momma.

Bennett is a good backup RB. That's the perfect role for him actually. he cuts down the liklihood of getting injured and he can pop in there every once in a while for a quick burst of speed when the #1 RB needs a break. Given Deuce's history of injury and given that Bush is still a rookie (obviously talented but still needs to learn the NFL) I would hold onto Bennett if I were in charge down in NO. Keep him for this coming season, get him an occassional run here and there, and then trade him next offseason.

Edited by Savage Beatings

Bennett is a good backup RB.  That's the perfect role for him actually.  he cuts down the liklihood of getting injured and he can pop in there every once in a while for a quick burst of speed when the #1 RB needs a break.  Given Deuce's history of injury and given that Bush is still a rookie (obviously talented but still needs to learn the NFL) I would hold onto Bennett if I were in charge down in NO.  Keep him for this coming season, get him an occassional run here and there, and then trade him next offseason.

1464215[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly. If I were him I'd take the money & rest for a season. Maybe a year with little wear & tear will help him kick the injury bug.

Saints wouldn't have drafted Mario Az. I wish Payton would make an official statement so I wouldn't have to keep telling you that. As a matter of fact, I believe Pasquarelli just reported that in his tip sheet.

Saints - if they had to stay at #2 - would have taken Hawk.

Saints wouldn't have drafted Mario Az.  I wish Payton would make an official statement so I wouldn't have to keep telling you that.  As a matter of fact, I believe Pasquarelli just reported that in his tip sheet.

Saints - if Houston wasn't stoopid - would have taken Hawk.

1465637[/snapback]

Fixed :D

Edited by rajncajn

Fixed :D

1465643[/snapback]

:D

Id still rather have Williams than Bush any day, with or with out Dom as our back. But luckily for you Saints fans, Bush will turn out to be the best 3rd down back the league has ever seen. :D

In fact Rajn, Im thinking we need to come up with some sort of sigline bet or something based on Williams/Bush.

Id still rather have Williams than Bush any day, with or with out Dom as our back.  But luckily for you Saints fans, Bush will turn out to be the best 3rd down back the league has ever seen.  :D

In fact Rajn, Im thinking we need to come up with some sort of sigline bet or something based on Williams/Bush.

1465650[/snapback]

Saints wouldn't have drafted Mario Az.  I wish Payton would make an official statement so I wouldn't have to keep telling you that.  As a matter of fact, I believe Pasquarelli just reported that in his tip sheet.

Saints - if they had to stay at #2 - would have taken Hawk.

1465637[/snapback]

well, i sorta believed that all along, and posted to that effect leading up to the draft. but assuming they would have picked mario allowed me to make the bush+grant or bennett+mario comparison in order to further mock the houston texans and their idiotic choice to pass on reggie bush. so i guess you could say i was engaging a little literary verisimilitude. :D