[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Reggie Bush to Donate 25% of Jersey Sales

myhousekey

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9433443/rss

If Bush is allowed to keep his No. 5 from USC, it will involve changing a rule that's been in effect for over three decades, and patience, people. This one may take time.

He offered to contribute 25 percent of all jersey sales to a relief fund for victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Former star running back Paul Hornung this week told the New Orleans Times-Picayune that it would be "utterly ridiculous" of the league to prevent Bush from wearing a single digit. After all, Hornung wore No. 5 in the 1960s. Why can't Bush? 

He gets jersey sale profits?

Edited by myhousekey

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9433443/rss

1466133[/snapback]

That rule was in since 1978, not quite 3 decades.

He gets no proceeds from jersey sales. They are sold under license to the NFL, and the money made is shared amongst all 32 NFL teams.

1466133[/snapback]

From the article:

"Michael Vick made $1.8 million last year (off sales of his number)," said Mike Ornstein, who handles Bush's marketing.

I read an article today that said ALL players make some set % of jersey sales.

But the league is taking the stance of "it's not about Reggie Bush, it's about 'is this a good policy or not?'" Which, charity aside, certainly seems to be the most sound way to do it. The rough plan is to give all backs #s 1-49 to choose from; receivers/TEs would get those as well plus 80-89.

USA Today

Players get 6% of the amount for each jersey sold, which, according to Ornstein, netted No. 1-ranked Randy Moss and other top sellers more than $1.5 million each last year

Just thought of something...Is Adrian McPhearson going to cash in on this if he is allowed?  McPhearson is #5... :D

1466203[/snapback]

I would a cool 20% on all Jersey sales period. That he make. No way I take cash on this deal.

What a stupid move by Reggie. He's trying to hold the NFL's feet to the fire? To me, it sounds like "I'm not going to donate to Katrina unless I get my number! So there!!" If I were the policymakers, I'd tell him to donate money anyway.

Plus, if he just wants the number, why not donate ALL the proceeds from the jersey? 25%? :D

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead

Just thought of something...Is Adrian McPhearson going to cash in on this if he is allowed?  McPhearson is #5... :D

1466203[/snapback]

Eli gave the wearer of #10 a family vacation. He will get something.

I would a cool 20% on all Jersey sales period.  That he make.  No way I take cash on this deal.

1466255[/snapback]

Are you drinking? :D

Edited by CarryTheRock

Nothing like a rookie coming into the league and immediately trying to change the rules.  Follow the rules and just donate if you really care.

1466400[/snapback]

Exactly. I liked Reggie Bush before this episode.

So he ONLY cares about Katrina victims IF he can wear some stupid number? What a Megan Fox.

This is so stupid. How can you guys be ripping this guy? The rule about numbers is only in place to make it less confusing for referees on the field to see who is who and who is down field and all. Why are you guys saying Bush should donate ALL the proceeds? How many athletes do that? Give me a break. You think Bush won't donate if he doesn't get his number? How do you get that? Don't assume stupid things.

You think Bush won't donate if he doesn't get his number? How do you get that? Don't assume stupid things.

1466804[/snapback]

Umm, shut up.

Aren't YOU assuming that Bush WOULD donate if he doesn't get his number? :D

Bush is now RICH AS HELL. If he really wanted to donate to Katrina victims, he could have and should have donated money immediately. Also, even if he has to wear a different number, he's still going to make a ton of money off his jersey sales. So, what then? Is he NOT going to donate THOSE profits?

I just don't like an individual using the Katrina victims' plight as a PR move, in order to get something he wants. It's stupid.

Umm, shut up.

Aren't YOU assuming that Bush WOULD donate if he doesn't get his number? :D

Bush is now RICH AS HELL. If he really wanted to donate to Katrina victims, he could have and should have donated money immediately. Also, even if he has to wear a different number, he's still going to make a ton of money off his jersey sales. So, what then? Is he NOT going to donate THOSE profits?

I just don't like an individual using the Katrina victims' plight as a PR move, in order to get something he wants. It's stupid.

1466822[/snapback]

I think it's pretty crazy to think that he would make the same amount of money no matter what number he wears. If he get's his No. 5 jersey, it would be a much more national appeal for people, especially the many USC fans all over.

Bush has already said he plans on contributing as much as he can to the Hurricane Katrina efforts. I don't think he is using Katrina victims' plight as a PR move in order to get something he wants. He is a humble kid and nothing has suggested anything different.

Everyone is always assuming things went in comes to these kind of issues. To assume that he is gonna be a cheap NFL player is more farfetched than what I am saying, considering who he is that is.

Edited by Goopster24

I think it's pretty crazy to think that he would make the same amount of money no matter what number he wears. If he get's his No. 5 jersey, it would be a much more national appeal for people, especially the many USC fans all over.

1466832[/snapback]

You're kidding, right? That's ludicrous.

You're kidding, right? That's ludicrous.

1466916[/snapback]

Mike & Mike were talking about the same thing the other day. I don't think it's ludicrous either.

....like I said the last time I posted something about Bush trying to do something good...you just can't please everybody. I, for one, appreciate the effort.

Mike & Mike were talking about the same thing the other day. I don't think it's ludicrous either.

....like I said the last time I posted something about Bush trying to do something good...you just can't please everybody. I, for one, appreciate the effort.

1467082[/snapback]

That makes two of us.