[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Reggie McNeal lines up at WR.

Randall

Bengals.com

Notes: Bengals switch it up

By GEOFF HOBSON

May 13, 2006

1:30 p.m.

Texas A&M quarterback Reggie McNeal turned out not to be the only player making a position switch Saturday morning when the Bengals opened their rookie camp inside Paul Brown Stadium.

A.J. Nicholson, the fifth-round pick who played outside linebacker at Florida State, lined up in the middle while seventh-rounder Ethan Kilmer, a special teams ace that played primarily wide receiver at Penn State, lined up at safety. Rookie free agent John Busing, an outside linebacker from Miami of Ohio, also played safety.

But McNeal, who hadn’t worn gloves since 1998 and his freshman stint as a high school receiver, used them to make a couple of sticky catches and had a good morning of transition. He beat Mayville State corner DeMarcus Rideaux, here on a tryout, down the right sideline for an over-the-shoulder big play.

“It’s not going to be hard for him (to make the change),” said the camp’s only quarterback, Eastern Washington free agent Erick Meyer. “He looked like he was getting it pretty good for the first time playing receiver. It does seem to come naturally to him.”

McNeal said he felt a lot better after the workout. “Now I think I can do it,” but he when they gave him No. 10 he said he didn’t think of Kordell Stewart but of his arch-rival at Texas.

“I got to get out of this number,” he said with a laugh. “No, it’s OK.” . ..

McNeal should be able to get to throw some, too, during the five practices so they can save Meyer’s arm. . .

First-round pick Johnathan Joseph, the South Carolina cornerback who ran the second fastest 40-yard dash time at the scouting combine, lined up a few times against Olympic hurdler Bennie Brazell, the wide out from LSU. Brazell caught some balls on him, but didn’t run past him.

“Even though I’m fast,’ Joseph admitted, “the speed of the game has picked up.” . . .

Third-rounder Frostee Rucker, the USC defensive end, is expected to work Saturday afternoon after arriving late from Los Angeles because of a traveling snafu. Rucker attended graduation ceremonies Friday. . .

Rookie free agent tight end Bristol Olomua got cut before camp after failing the physical. . .

Meyer, a pitcher who has been drafted three times by the major leagues, never came close to working down the street at Great American Ballpark. The Reds drafted him in the 37th round out of Lamirada High School on the border of Los Angeles and Orange counties, yet “I could live without playing baseball, but I couldn’t see myself not playing football,” said Meyer, winner of the Walter Payton Award as Division 1-AA’s Player of the Year. . .

The Sept. 10 opener is just 119 days away. You know that because the "Beat Kansas City" countdown clock is now back on the locker room wall. . .

I like McNeal's chances to have some success. He was suppose to have a huge last year and sorta failed to meet expectations. I like his athletic ability and I think it can translate to the NFL. The Bengals are a good fit for him as they are gonna be patient with him.

Yeah, even a newbie idiot like you could've figured it out.  :D

1467139[/snapback]

Hmm... :D You mean a myopic "newbie idiot" figured out that 99% of what you post here is complete garbage?

What are you gonna tell us next, Swerski? Grass is green? The sky blue? How about water is wet?

Really, McNeal's a great athlete, but not NFL QB caliber? In a thread devoted to the news that he lined up at WR in rookie camp?

GENIUS!

Hmm... :D  You mean a myopic "newbie idiot" figured out that 99% of what you post here is complete garbage?

1467144[/snapback]

Nice job of trolling, buddy. Do you have anything football-related to contribute before I throw you on my ignore list?

Perhaps you didn't know this, but there were people here who actually thought that McNeal would go in the 3rd or 4th round of the draft and would be a backup QUARTERBACK.

EDIT: If you have something to say to me, bushwanker, be a man and ditch the moniker. Only immature little trolls hide behind fake accounts.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Nice job of trolling, buddy.  Do you have anything football-related to contribute before I throw you on my ignore list?

Perhaps you didn't know this, but there were people here who actually thought that McNeal would go in the 3rd or 4th round of the draft and would be a backup QUARTERBACK.

1467160[/snapback]

:D That's not saying much; wasn't that deep of a talent pool QB-wise this draft. After the "big 3" and maybe Brodie Croyle, what really was out there? Granted, the Jets made a nice pick with Kellen Clemens... but I think it was pretty obvious McNeal was an "athlete first", that would require a ton of polishing to even consider merit as a NFL QB...

:D  That's not saying much; wasn't that deep of a talent pool QB-wise this draft.  After the "big 3" and maybe Brodie Croyle, what really was out there?  Granted, the Jets made a nice pick with Kellen Clemens... but I think it was pretty obvious McNeal was an "athlete first", that would require a ton of polishing to even consider merit as a NFL QB...

1467165[/snapback]

...and yet there were Huddlers who actually thought that McNeal would get snaps behind center on an NFL team. It boggles my mind as well.

But as a Bengals fan (Hey I can admit that w/o :D now) I love the pick it gives the Bengals a kid who is good in the open field, but can also get under center in a pinch. It's like getting 2 players for the price of one. I called my neighbor and said watch Marv take Vick late and I totally missed McNeal but as soon as I heard the pick..I thought Vick w/o the baggage...Once again Marv one step ahead...Marvin for president or at least mayor of Cincy!!!!

...and yet there were Huddlers who actually thought that McNeal would get snaps behind center on an NFL team.  It boggles my mind as well.

1467170[/snapback]

He's a project that the Bengals will try at QB in practice. You never know what will happen. Bigger longshots have made it, like Kurt Warner.

I see him at WR, but you never now.

Edited by Randall