[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ahman absent at mini camp?

theeohiostate

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Packers | Green not expecting to suit up until late in training camp

Mon, 8 May 2006 17:52:40 -0700

The Associated Press reports Green Bay Packers RB Ahman Green (thigh) is not expected to suit up until the latter part of training camp. Green resumed running last month.

Will this impact who is the opening day starter?

Depends on how he heals. The injury is supposed to keep him out until around late July or so.

Last I read anyway.

May 04, 2006

Green still is several months away from returning from his torn quadriceps tendon. It’s unlikely he’ll participate in any of the offseason practices, and it’s not even a given he’ll be ready for the start of training camp in late July.

www.packersnews.com

If I remember correctly, the contract TT signed Green to, is heavily incentive based. TT set it up in such a way, that if Green isn't right come Sept, TT can send him packing with little to no cap hit.

Does this suggest Gado may be more valuable?

1468660[/snapback]

Will this impact who is the opening day starter?

1468662[/snapback]

Both Ahman and Davenport are missing a lot of offseason action. IMO this will most definitely effect who may be the opening day starter. I do think Gado will be the back that starts. When Ahman is ready, he may be given the job to lose. Well, unless Gado blows up consistantly...which is actually possible.

I am really excited to see how all this works out in the end! That's for sure!

S.T.

I see Gado and Davenport sharing the ball.

Green is on his way out...

1469063[/snapback]

If healthy, I think Davenport is the best of the bunch. Gado very well may get the early season starts if Davenport isn't healthy, but Davenport IMO is an explosion waiting to happen. While he doesn't have great agility, he is a big back with great in-line speed, which is what GB will need with that O-line.

If healthy, I think Davenport is the best of the bunch.  Gado very well may get the early season starts if Davenport isn't healthy, but Davenport IMO is an explosion waiting to happen.  While he doesn't have great agility, he is a big back with great in-line speed, which is what GB will need with that O-line.

1469406[/snapback]

I agree with you 100% Look at his only start last year... 50+ yards and two td's in a half. He plays 100 miles an hour and punishes people. I've got him in my auction dynasty league, and i'm keeping him because I think he'll take over, as long as he's healthy.

As far as Gado goes, I see him as someone similar to Nick Goings. He was in the right place at the right time. Counting on him to repeat his performances is going to be expecting too much.

I've also said for months, but Green will not be an impact player again. He'll be at best, a third down, pass receiving back. Before injury last year, he had no explosion or moves. He's going downhill at a breakneck speed. I love him for all the things he did in the past though.

I think Gado will come crashing back to reality this year. Davenport clearly has ability and talent and is a back who if he can get the injury bug off of him, is ready to explode like others are saying. Green was done a while back my friends, didn't we see this coming? He had some good years but it's been a while I believe.

Fellas, fellas, fellas.

While I like the Gado story as much as anyone and love the poop jokes with Davenport, I think you're prematurely sticking the fork in Green if he fully recovers from his quad injury.

Lets not forget these facts.

Green just turned 29 (born 02/16/1977)

He is only one season away from a string of four consecutive Pro Bowl years.

Green has had only 5 seasons as the main ball carrier. 3 of those 5 seasons he saw less than 300 carries.

Green has suffered only one major injury (torn quadriceps last year) in his NFL career.

Lastly, reports from the Pack, is that they want Green to be their starter.

Offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski, one of first-year coach Mike McCarthy's more significant hires, indicated that Ahman Green stands to get the starting nod if the team re-signs the veteran free agent.

"If he's back, obviously it would probably be him. He's a Pro Bowl player," Jagodzinski said. "I'm not going to pigeon-hole anybody. That's Mike's decision on who's the guy. But I would imagine if he's back, as a Pro Bowl player, that's the kind of guy I'd want in there."

Although later in that same article you do see this;

Jagodzinski envisions a competition between Green and Gado for the lead role.

:D

His quad tear was a complete one. Thats something you don't come back from in a year. Them wanting Green is to keep there fading star back happy. Yes, we'd all like to have him back, but its not going to happen.

You talk about him being a year removed from four consecutive pro bowls, thats fine, but look at the numbers and you'll see how he's deteriated since his hugh year in 03

In 2004 he ran for 720 yards less than in 2003, also averaging .8 yards a carry less, and scoring 8 less touchdowns.

The only stat you can look at from last year was his yards per carry, which was 3.3 Thats an entire 2 yards less per carry than two years ago. Before his injury he had absolutley no burst. Thinking he can capture that burst after blowing his quad is entirley wishful thinking.

And no mention of Davenport in one article... Its one article. In early May. Wait and see, as someone who has watched every packer game since NFL Sunday ticket, I can tell you that out of every back on the packers, Davenport is the best fit. He could be a beast. All he needs is his health.

His quad tear was a complete one. Thats something you don't come back from in a year.  Them wanting Green is to keep there fading star back happy. Yes, we'd all like to have him back, but its not going to happen.

1471176[/snapback]

:D You're off by quite a bit.

If the quadriceps or patellar tendon is completely ruptured, a surgeon will reattach the ends. After surgery, the patient will wear a cast for 3 to 6 weeks and use crutches.....A partial or complete tear of a tendon requires an exercise program as part of rehabilitation that is similar to but less vigorous than that prescribed for ligament injuries. The goals of exercise are to restore the ability to bend and straighten the knee and to strengthen the leg to prevent a repeat injury. A rehabilitation program may last 6 months, although the patient can return to many activities before then.
pediatrics.about.com

I imagine six months is probably for John Q public. Maybe 7 to 8 months for an athlete?

You talk about him being a year removed from four consecutive pro bowls, thats fine, but look at the numbers and you'll see how he's deteriated since his hugh year in 03

1471176[/snapback]

2003 was indeed a monster year for Green and might have been his career year.

2004 was a more normal year for Ahman.

+--------------------------+-------------------------+                |          Rushing         |        Receiving        |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| Year  TM |   G |   Att  Yards    Y/A   TD |   Rec  Yards   Y/R   TD |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| 1998 sea |  16 |    35    209    6.0    1 |     3      2   0.7    0 || 1999 sea |  14 |    26    120    4.6    0 |     0      0   0.0    0 || 2000 gnb |  16 |   263   1175    4.5   10 |    73    559   7.7    3 || 2001 gnb |  16 |   304   1387    4.6    9 |    62    594   9.6    2 || 2002 gnb |  14 |   286   1240    4.3    7 |    57    393   6.9    2 || 2003 gnb |  16 |   355   1883    5.3   15 |    50    367   7.3    5 || 2004 gnb |  15 |   259   1163    4.5    7 |    40    275   6.9    1 || 2005 gnb |   5 |    77    255    3.3    0 |    19    147   7.7    0 |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+|  TOTAL   | 112 |  1605   7432    4.6   49 |   304   2337   7.7   13 |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+

In 2004 he ran for 720 yards less than in 2003, also averaging .8 yards a carry less, and scoring 8 less touchdowns.

1471176[/snapback]

You forgot to mention that he had about 100 less carries in 2004, than in 2003.

The only stat you can look at from last year was his yards per carry, which was 3.3  Thats an entire 2 yards less per carry than two years ago.

1471176[/snapback]

Didn't he lose two Pro Bowlers off the line last year?

He played at the beginning of the year too, right?

Green was running behind the revamped line, before they had time to jell.

Before his injury he had absolutley no burst.  Thinking he can capture that burst after blowing his quad is entirley wishful thinking.

1471176[/snapback]

Tough to have any burst when you're getting hit behind the line.
And no mention of Davenport in one article... Its one article.

1471176[/snapback]

Read my post again.

I said I haven't seen any mention in any article anywhere about Davenport getting the starting gig.

In early May.  Wait and see, as someone who has watched every packer game since NFL Sunday ticket, I can tell you that out of every back on the packers, Davenport is the best fit.  He could be a beast.  All he needs is his health.

1471176[/snapback]

Good luck with mentioning health & Davenport in the same sentence.

He has been in the league 4 years as a back up and hasn't had a healthy season yet!

I shudder to think what would happen to him, if they tried to make him a feature back.

If Green isn't back on the field late July on, then I'll begin to move Gado up my rankings.

Oh! I forgot this.

Davenport IS NOT being mentioned anywhere, in any article, as being considered for the starting gig.

1471110[/snapback]

If Green had any chance at returning to full health this year, there would have been several teams interested in his services. After all, as you pointed out, he IS just a year removed from a bunch of Pro Bowls, right? :D

In the end, though, the only team who even made him an offer was Green Bay and even the Packers wouldn't give him anything resembling a secure deal. He got lowball contract, which Green Bay can terminate THIS SUMMER without any real cap consequences. What's more, he accepted it! The writing is on the wall for Green. And pirates is right -- anyone who saw him play more than once last year (before the devastating thigh injury) could tell that he wasn't a Pro-Bowl player anymore.

I also agree with Perch and pirates about Davenport having the best shot at being the long-term Packers RB. Both he and Gado have running styles suited for the zone scheme, but Davenport is more powerful and assertive. Gado is certainly faster, but that's about all he's got on Davenport.

Of course, Davenport has to get healthy, too. :D

If Green had any chance at returning to full health this year, there would have been several teams interested in his services. After all, as you pointed out, he IS just a year removed from a bunch of Pro Bowls, right? :D

1471216[/snapback]

I have read that Green instructed his agent to let other teams know he wasn't interested in playing for any team, except Green Bay.

Regardless, there is no doubt Green is still recovering from the quad injury and when he recovers, is good for maybe another 2, possibly 3 years? Who would want to spend money to get a back on the downside of their career?

In the end, though, the only team who even made him an offer was Green Bay and even the Packers wouldn't give him anything resembling a secure deal. He got lowball contract, which Green Bay can terminate THIS SUMMER without any real cap consequences.

1471216[/snapback]

I know Swiss. I wrote exactly that, in the third post of this thread. And don't forget, the contract is heavily incentive laden.

If I remember correctly, the contract TT signed Green to, is heavily incentive based. TT set it up in such a way, that if Green isn't right come Sept, TT can send him packing with little to no cap hit.

1468666[/snapback]

I have read that Green instructed his agent to let other teams know he wasn't interested in playing for any team, except Green Bay.

Regardless, there is no doubt Green is still recovering from the quad injury and when he recovers, is good for maybe another 2, possibly 3 years? Who would want to spend money to get a back on the downside of their career?

I know Swiss. I wrote exactly that, in the third post of this thread. And don't forget, the contract is heavily incentive laden.

1471225[/snapback]

I'm not disputing anything you've said, really, other than the conclusion you make after knowing the same information I do -- that Green still has "maybe another 2, possibly 3 years" left in his tank.

As someone who probably didn't see a lot of Packers games last year, I'm sure it's reasonable for you to assume that Green's 3.3-yard average was the fault of the Packers' all-encompassing-scapegoat O-line. Unfortunately, it just wasn't the case. If anything, Green benefited from an OUTSTANDING O-line in years past, when Green Bay had all 5 guys playing at a Pro-Bowl level. So, back then, his high YPC probably wasn't as true an indicator of his own ability as you might think. Add a couple of years (to a guy who wasn't all that durable in the first place) and a merely average O-line and you get 3.3 YPC.

Plus, if it were just the offensive line, your argument would have to be that the players magically "jelled" as soon as Davenport (then Gado) took over for Green. Those guys were finding the holes that Green was missing.

Again, I'm not criticizing your opinion. It's about as informed an opinion as I could find among non-Packers-fans. However, I've watched Green run for several years and the burst and power he had (when healthy) from 2000 to 2003 was G-O-N-E in 2005. Now he's dealing with a severe injury. You do the math.

1 + 1 + 1 = Fork.

If healthy, I think Davenport is the best of the bunch.  Gado very well may get the early season starts if Davenport isn't healthy, but Davenport IMO is an explosion waiting to happen.  While he doesn't have great agility, he is a big back with great in-line speed, which is what GB will need with that O-line.

1469406[/snapback]

He can't stay healthy. When he has had his opportunities he hasn't been able to string 2 starts together.

He and Ahman are still hurt. I have heard good things about Gado's off season work so far. He is better than people realize.

As George Bush says "Don't mis-underestimate the man".

Edited by Randall

I've watched Green run for several years and the burst and power he had (when healthy) from 2000 to 2003 was G-O-N-E in 2005. Now he's dealing with a severe injury. You do the math.

1 + 1 + 1 = Fork.

1471235[/snapback]

I know you've watched many more Packer games, than me.

I :D when you drop some Green Bay knowledge.

Edited by Big Score 1

The Green Bay Press-Gazette confirms Ahman Green won't be able to practice until late August.

Green is near the top our list of players to avoid in fantasy drafts this season. There is no telling what kind of player he is going to be after missing nine months with a torn quadriceps. May. 19 - 10:42 am et

Not looking good for Ahman, August may be far to late to secure the #1 spot, hello Gado.

I see Gado and Davenport sharing the ball.

Green is on his way out...

1469063[/snapback]

1469406[/snapback]

Agreed...

Fixed  :D

Gado will be the back if Green can't go.

1478266[/snapback]

I know that's your opinion and all, and I'm inclined to agree, but it's worth mentioning that Davenport will get his shot at the job. His injury isn't nearly as serious as Ahman's, so he should be ready to compete with Gado by training camp.

My point, I guess, is that Davenport might get injured in October, but that wouldn't stop him from winning the job in August. :D

You know, I'd absolutely LOVE to see what Davenport could do with the starting job.

Had Green last year with Davenport as his handcuff and was watching the pooper smear dooky all over the Saints.....until the half.

Then...out for the year. :D

I have no confidence in Davenports ability to stay healthy.

That's zip, zero, nada & none!

You know, I'd absolutely LOVE to see what Davenport could do with the starting job.

Had Green last year with Davenport as his handcuff and was watching the pooper smear dooky all over the Saints.....until the half.

Then...out for the year. :D

I have no confidence in Davenports ability to stay healthy.

That's zip, zero, nada & none!

1478299[/snapback]

:D You have B.O.S. -- Bitter Owner Syndrome -- and it's clouding your judgement. :D

Like I said, you may be right in predicting an injury to Davenport, but I can say with utmost confidence that the chance of a future injury won't hurt Davenport in the competition for the starting RB job in training camp.