[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

David Kirtman, USC's former FB

I'm not sure how many people will care about this, but while I was perusing Dr. Rock's page of player highlights, one thing that unexpectedly jumped off the screen was David Kirtman's lead-blocking for Reggie Bush and LenDale White.

He doesn't just have power behind his blocks -- he also displays great vision in finding the nearest would-be tackler and attacking him. He seeks, then he destroys.

Shaun Alexander (and whoever comes after him) will be VERY happy, even after Mack Strong retires.

My question is can he beat out Mack Strong.  I doubt it so he will be on the practice squad and then picked up by another team.  And make that running back better.  Only reason I said nothing.

1478387[/snapback]

Mack Strong is getting up there in years and will probably retire in the next 2-3 years. Don't most teams carry a back up FB on their active roster?

Mack Strong is getting up there in years and will probably retire in the next 2-3 years. Don't most teams carry a back up FB on their active roster?

1478432[/snapback]

Some do and some dont. Think its based on team needs. So I guess this is a possiblity.

I like hearing this type of news about positions I rarely research.  :D

1478471[/snapback]

Funny thing is Swiss Cheese Head is right to talk about this. If you know the fullback and think he is good and develops properly. U can bet that running back he is blocking for is only going to get a enhanced value. So this is just a part of the big picture of the puzzle. U dont just look and say this back will be great. It goes deep from coaching, O-Line, the scheme, fullback then the running back. U can have the most talented back in the world but if you dont have all those in place that back will look lost or get his but tossed in the backfield.

Kirtman is an interesting prospect. I don't know how widely it has been reported, but Kirtman's parents happen to live next door to Seahawk HC Mike Holmgren. You get the feeling the Seahawks are going to do everything they can to turn this kid into the heir apparent to Mack Strong. Knowing Holmgren, he'll give the kid some chances to make plays early, as he seems to like to test young players to see how they respond to NFL action. As far as the practice squad..no way. They've always had a backup fullback eligible, and besides that, they're gonna do their darndest to get the youngster a little seasoning.

It's been rumored that Mack would retire every year since the Hawks drafted Heath Evans like 5 years ago. Mack was never supposed to make the team in the first place, and now he just won't leave. I think the fans probably respect the job Mack does more than any other player, so Kirtman's got some pretty big shoes to fill, but everyone out here is really high on him.

Edited by Seahawks21

1478432[/snapback]

Seahawks seem like they always have.

Leonard Weaver in 2005.

Heath Evans 2001-2004.

Reggie Brown 1996-2000.

Funny thing is Swiss Cheese Head is right to talk about this.  If you know the fullback and think he is good and develops properly.  U can bet that running back he is blocking for is only going to get a enhanced value.  So this is just a part of the big picture of the puzzle.  U dont just look and say this back will be great.  It goes deep from coaching, O-Line, the scheme, fullback then the running back.  U can have the most talented back in the world but if you dont have all those in place that back will look lost or get his but tossed in the backfield.

1478512[/snapback]

Exactly. That's why I steered clear of DcAllister 2 years ago because I found out they were going to stop using a fullback. Like I said, it's a position I don't research because unless someone sees the guy play or he already has a reputatioin, there are no stats to look for. There should be a "relavant block" stat.

So u think he can beat out Mack Strong?

1479004[/snapback]

I think he's either saying Kirtman beating out Strong would "never happen" or that the Seahawks putting Kirtman on the practice squad would "never happen." Either way, you're a little off base, loyalboyd. Kirtman wasn't drafted to be a practice squad player and he's not expected to beat out Strong right away. He's Strong's future replacement, and he'll be on the active roster.

Exactly.  That's why I steered clear of DcAllister 2 years ago because I found out they were going to stop using a fullback.  Like I said, it's a position I don't research because unless someone sees the guy play or he already has a reputatioin, there are no stats to look for.  There should be a "relavant block" stat.

1478743[/snapback]

I remember those conversations. :D Terrelle Smith was (and still is) one of the best blocking FBs in the league and the Saints let him go to Cleveland.

What may have been MORE of a red flag than Smith leaving was Deuce's attitude about it. He made a couple of telling public comments about how he wasn't happy with the team's new singleback running schemes and that it was going to take some time to adjust.

Of course, some people back then were adamant about the loss of a FB not making the slightest difference in a fantasy RB's prognosis, but I think my comment was something like, "A fullback might not realistically make a huge difference in a RB's production, but if that RB believes it will make a huge difference, then I'll be worried." DMac wasn't happy with it and he struggled all year -- till the team starting using a lead blocker again.

I think he's either saying Kirtman beating out Strong would "never happen" or that the Seahawks putting Kirtman on the practice squad would "never happen." Either way, you're a little off base, loyalboyd. Kirtman wasn't drafted to be a practice squad player and he's not expected to beat out Strong right away. He's Strong's future replacement, and he'll be on the active roster.

1479017[/snapback]

All I was trying to figure out was which? Everyone is wrong sometimes. I just wanted clarification.

I remember those conversations. :D Terrelle Smith was (and still is) one of the best blocking FBs in the league and the Saints let him go to Cleveland.

What may have been MORE of a red flag than Smith leaving was Deuce's attitude about it. He made a couple of telling public comments about how he wasn't happy with the team's new singleback running schemes and that it was going to take some time to adjust.

Of course, some people back then were adamant about the loss of a FB not making the slightest difference in a fantasy RB's prognosis, but I think my comment was something like, "A fullback might not realistically make a huge difference in a RB's production, but if that RB believes it will make a huge difference, then I'll be worried." DMac wasn't happy with it and he struggled all year -- till the team starting using a lead blocker again.

1479020[/snapback]

Those extra steps.........Priceless

So u think he can beat out Mack Strong?

1479004[/snapback]

Well, the funny thing about Weaver is, he has delusions of grandeur abour being a tailback, & actually performed pretty well last year in spot duty. It could very well pan out that they keep 5 RB's:

TB:

SA

Morris

Weaver

FB:

Strong

Kirtman

With the added benefit that if they got in injury trouble, Weaver could play either.

Edited by Bonehand

Well, the funny thing about Weaver is, he has delusions of grandeur abour being a tailback, & actually performed pretty well last year in spot duty. It could very well pan out that they keep 5 RB's:

TB:

SA

Morris

Weaver

FB:

Strong

Kirtman

With the added benefit that if they got in injury trouble, Weaver could play either.

1479070[/snapback]

I could be wrong but isn't Scobey a TB on the depth chart?

1479017[/snapback]

The guy will play special teams for crying out loud.