[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I didnt say it but they said it for me!

loyalboyd

What really irritates me the most about all this Bush-bashing (no pun intended) is that I get a real feeling, no not even a feeling...I know, that if he'd gone to ANY other team we wouldn't be hearing ANY of this bullsh*t and that is all this is, bullsh*t. Screw y'all, the Saints FINALLY do something good & people are chomping at the bit to tear us down again. :D

Sorry for the rant, I'm just sick of it.

1478540[/snapback]

I didnt even know they were still in the NFL...

Im kidding.

Calm down there big guy, I'm just not a Bush fan. I never have been. Being an anit-Longhorn fan, Bush made me hate him with his stupid pitch in the Rose Bowl, which ended up being a determining factor. I don't hate your saints. I feel bad for them. I hope they can get it turned around ,I know they have the right coach for the job, but I just don't like Bush.

What really irritates me the most about all this Bush-bashing (no pun intended) is that I get a real feeling, no not even a feeling...I know, that if he'd gone to ANY other team we wouldn't be hearing ANY of this bullsh*t and that is all this is, bullsh*t. Screw y'all, the Saints FINALLY do something good & people are chomping at the bit to tear us down again. :D

1478540[/snapback]

Good points.

The guy is a great talent and noone knows what he will do until he does it, just like any other player. Until then be happy for Saints fans.

Edited by Randall

That's all well and good, but donating $200,000 (and "getting Adidas to donate $50,000," whatever that means) after winning a $20-million-dollar lottery ticket doesn't automatically make someone a real Saint in my book.

I also would like to hear from McPherson and McAfee before casting too much judgement here, but if I'm just taking all of Reggie's "puzzle pieces" and putting them together, I'm not exactly getting an image of a squeaky-clean, unselfish guy.

Above all, he seems like a guy who's waaay too concerned about as much money as possible, as soon as possible.

1478384[/snapback]

Yeah I totally agree with you on this one. In fact the other day someone offered me 10 million bucks and I flat turned it down. I just thought it would be selfish to accept it with all the suffering going on down here! :D

I guess we should be asking the question. What are all the other 1st round draft choices doing with their money?

1478880[/snapback]

:D They are probably all donating to Mother Theresa and the efforts in Darfur when they aren't busy volunteering at soup kitchens and their local churches? :D

Bush is the only one thinking of himself.

So tell us, what exactly has he done to make you think that?  :D

1478535[/snapback]

Hmm, you want ALL my reasons? Okay...

1. He left school early.

2. He obviously had some shady relationships with agents/marketing people WHILE in college (the house incident).

3. He reportedly started the contract negotiation process asking for WAAAY more than any the 1st overall pick should command, even including the yearly "inflation" bump.

4. Immediately upon being drafted, BEFORE SIGNING AN NFL CONTRACT, he focuses his attention on changing an NFL rule so he can wear a certain, silly number. Why? So he can sell more spamshirts.

5. He goes so far as to "offer" to donate a relatively small percentage of the jersey sales to Katrina victims IF the NFL caters to his request. Until/unless he offers the same percentage to charity even if he CAN'T wear #5, this move can only be seen as using an unfortunate circumstance as leverage against the NFL, which, to me, makes it a ludicrous P.R. stunt.

Could I be wrong? Sure. But I had ZERO bias against Bush throughout college and throughout the draft process. It wasn't until this whole BS with the #5 that he started getting on my nerves. I just can't imagine why such a thing would be such a HUGE issue for a rookie who's never played a down in the NFL. A truly humble young man would have at least waited until he was actually a MEMBER OF A TEAM before lobbying the NFL to wear a number.

1478540[/snapback]

:D I know you're not accusing ME of being anti-New Orleans. Honestly, I haven't heard ANY arbitrary Saints-bashing going on since Katrina happened. Who doesn't sympathize with the people of that region?

I disagree with how Reggie Bush is handling his business and, if anything, part of his behavior has caused me to call him out IN DEFENSE of Katrina victims.

Why would you think that "people are chomping at the bit" to tear the team down again? That seems like a completely illogical assumption to me.

4. Immediately upon being drafted, BEFORE SIGNING AN NFL CONTRACT, he focuses his attention on changing an NFL rule so he can wear a certain, silly number. Why? So he can sell more spamshirts.

This is where you (and alot of other people) have had it wrong from the start. He has said all along that he'd like to wear #5, but if he wasn't granted the waiver, no big deal, AND he never asked for the rule to be changed but petitioned the NFL for a waiver. I guess you can argue that it's all semantics, but the point is, everyone crying about him wanting the number are making a MUCH bigger deal of this than he has.

Quote from Bush regarding the number issue (Link)

"I haven't chosen a number but I am looking forward to it," he said. "Obviously I would love to be able to wear number five, but if I don't, I understand. I know there has been a rule for years before I got to this point and gotten here. It is something that I would like to happen, but if it doesn't, there is no loss and no worries."

And for what its worth, other players have petitioned the NFL to wear "non-conforming" numbers this year, including LeCharles Bentley (00).

5. He goes so far as to "offer" to donate a relatively small percentage of the jersey sales to Katrina victims IF the NFL caters to his request. Until/unless he offers the same percentage to charity even if he CAN'T wear #5, this move can only be seen as using an unfortunate circumstance as leverage against the NFL, which, to me, makes it a ludicrous P.R. stunt.

He has said that he would give the same amount, regardless of whether he gets #5 or not. Maybe you could do just a little research?

As far as a "relatively small percentage" goes, I simply find it amazing that anyone can be critical of another individual when someone is donating money well into the six figures, irregardless of the situation or circumstances. Simply unbelievable...

-------------

Re: the PFT article -- really classy calling the guy a selfish azzhole. The crotch nuzzling comment was really uncalled for as well, but I stopped reading PFT a long time ago. Not only do they have little class (as evidenced by this article) they either are wrong most of the time, or leave out pertinent facts. One prime fact in this case being A-Mac has already said that he'd gladly take #1 if the NFL approves Bush getting #5.

Edited by Cordo

This is where you (and alot of other people) have had it wrong from the start.  He has said all along that he'd like to wear #5, but if he wasn't granted the waiver, no big deal, AND he never asked for the rule to be changed but petitioned the NFL for a waiver.  I guess you can argue that it's all semantics, but the point is, everyone crying about him wanting the number are making a MUCH bigger deal of this than he has.

Quote from Bush regarding the number issue (Link)

"I haven't chosen a number but I am looking forward to it," he said. "Obviously I would love to be able to wear number five, but if I don't, I understand. I know there has been a rule for years before I got to this point and gotten here. It is something that I would like to happen, but if it doesn't, there is no loss and no worries."

1479329[/snapback]

Honestly, other than a few brief mentions of it at the "major" networks, the only place I've really heard about Bush petitioning the NFL for #5 is here on this board. I had never read that quote before, in this thread or any other thread on the subject, but now that I have, I hope he means it. If he does, I have no problem with his request.

He has said that he would give the same amount, regardless of whether he gets #5 or not.  Maybe you could do just a little research?

1479329[/snapback]

Maybe I should. :D I guess I assumed someone arguing the opposite point may have clued me in on such a thing a long time ago. I'm sure it's still partly a P.R. move, but it appears the intentions behind it are good. :D

As far as a "relatively small percentage" goes, I simply find it amazing that anyone can be critical of another individual when someone is donating money well into the six figures, irregardless of the situation or circumstances.  Simply unbelievable...

1479329[/snapback]

I wasn't critical of the amount he donated. You can't dispute the comment itself -- it IS a "relatively small percentage" -- relative to the money Bush will be making. I'd say most middle-class charity contributors donate a higher percentage of their total income than most professional athletes. Again, however, I wasn't criticizing the dollar amount. My point was that JUST because he's donating 25% of his jersey sales doesn't make him a great guy. I don't know the kid -- he might be a great guy, but that particular donation doesn't make it so.

A-Mac has already said that he'd gladly take #1 if the NFL approves Bush getting #5.

1479329[/snapback]

That's also good to know, but, again, I've never heard that until now. I'll certainly take your word for it, since you have no reason to lie.

Basically, the opinion I gave in this thread and others was based on the information I had been given...in the threads. I tried to make it clear that I could be wrong, but that I was just going off of what i knew. For instance...

I also would like to hear from McPherson and McAfee before casting too much judgement here, but if I'm just taking all of Reggie's "puzzle pieces" and putting them together, I'm not exactly getting an image of a squeaky-clean, unselfish guy.

So....thanks for sharing the additional and very pertinent information. Knowing all that, I'll certainly modify my opinion of Reggie Bush. :D

You sure can tell its off season around here... We've got a few more months left...

1479377[/snapback]

When training camp starts it gets a little easier especially in Green Bay. Thousands watch Packer practices. And the Lambeau scrimmage is always sold out like it's a real game.

I heard that Bush drowns puppies.

1479452[/snapback]

OK, that made me laugh. :D

BTW, wasn't it reported by Lenny P & posted here that Bush was never offered the same amount of money by the Texans by accident & that the Bush camp was ready to take the offer if they had ever recieved it? I'll have to research that one when I have some time, but I know I remember them saying that the claims that the Bush camp was asking for a ridiculous amount of money were, in fact, false and that in truth it turned out to be just a part of the pre-draft hype.

Basically, the opinion I gave in this thread and others was based on the information I had been given...in the threads. I tried to make it clear that I could be wrong, but that I was just going off of what i knew. For instance...

Fair enough. Guess I, like rajn, have gotten pretty fed up with all the criticism of Bush (here and on other boards), especially when most of it is based on false assumptions and inaccurate information.

By the way, Cordo, why was your entire post in bold? I almost didn't respond to it because it was so hard to read. :D

1479409[/snapback]

Man, don't know what happened there. :D A bit late, but I went back and fixed it...