[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dillon-Maroney

theeohiostate

Patriots coach Bill Belichick had high praise for Laurence Maroney to a Minnesota coach.

"(Belichick) said it's been a long time since he's had a running back accelerate through the hole like Maroney," Gophers offensive coordinator Mitch Browning said. New England will try to keep the hype down, but it's hard to imagine Maroney not making a serious dent into Corey Dillon's carries. May. 19 - 10:02 am et

Bad news for Dillon owners.

Bill has little loyalty to vets when it comes to playing the best availble player, if Maroney picks up the offense well, Dillon could be splitting time by midseason.

I would be surprised if Maroney cut into Dillon's carries significantly this season, unless Cory starts missing games due to injury. Then he will get into the mix, and have a chance to make his mark. The thing he needs to do most is not fumble, which Kevin Faulk and Partick Pass are overly prone to do.

I think Maroney will be the starter by week 3 or 5, a la Clinton Portis. Dillon will be 32 in late October and coming off a season where he averaged a career worst 3.5 yds/carry. He had never gone below 3.9 before and did that only twice in seven seasons. He has averaged over 250 carries a year for his career, so he's not a 'young' 32 like some other guys who had some down years in the middle or late in their careers(Terry Allen, Marcus Allen to name two). The patriots haven't drafted an RB in the first round since Robert Edwards in '98. And one thing I've learned about Bill Belichick is he doesn't waste draft picks. If he felt there was a need to pick Maroney as the 21st player in the draft, I don't think he intends for him to stand by and fetch water for a 32 year old RB.

I think Maroney will be the starter by week 3 or 5, a la Clinton Portis. Dillon will be 32 in late October and coming off a season where he averaged a career worst 3.5 yds/carry. He had never gone below 3.9 before and did that only twice in seven seasons. He has averaged over 250 carries a year for his career, so he's not a 'young' 32 like some other guys who had some down years in the middle or late in their careers(Terry Allen, Marcus Allen to name two). The patriots haven't drafted an RB in the first round since Robert Edwards in '98. And one thing I've learned about Bill Belichick is he doesn't waste draft picks. If he felt there was a need to pick Maroney as the 21st player in the draft, I don't think he intends for him to stand by and fetch water for a 32 year old RB.

1478195[/snapback]

:D

U do have a very good point.

The problem with that is the same problem that Belichick had when Bledsoe was on the team and he wanted to make the move to Brady. It's not easy to just uproot an incumbant that is a fan favorite and that has been very effective in his career.

IMHO Belichick will go with Dillon until he faulters.

The problem with that is the same problem that Belichick had when Bledsoe was on the team and he wanted to make the move to Brady.  It's not easy to just uproot an incumbant that is a fan favorite and that has been very effective in his career.

IMHO Belichick will go with Dillon until he faulters.

1478291[/snapback]

I tend to agree with this. I'm a pretty big Maroney fan... it was pretty cool watching him as a Gopher. I just don't think he will start getting too many carries until maybe mid-season. Even then I don't think he will be a starter this coming season unless there is a major injury. I think he'll start to show his talent while relieving Dillon, maybe getting 25% of teh carries by the end of the season, and then maybe next year he pushes for the starting job.

No basis for this other than opinion.

I tend to agree with this.  I'm a pretty big Maroney fan... it was pretty cool watching him as a Gopher.  I just don't think he will start getting too many carries until maybe mid-season.  Even then I don't think he will be a starter this coming season unless there is a major injury.  I think he'll start to show his talent while relieving Dillon, maybe getting 25% of teh carries by the end of the season, and then maybe next year he pushes for the starting job.

1478346[/snapback]

I agree with a Viqueens fan. :D

I know Maroney can play, but will he unseat Dillon? If both are healthy I think they go with Dillon and work Maroney in slowly. But if Dillon has lingering injuries, you will have a hard time getting Maroney off the field. Once he gets significant time Dillon will be hard pressed to get him out. Maroney did a decent job of pass protecting at the U of MN but the Big 10 is not using the NFL blitz packages he will see now. So he will have a learning curve, but FF favorite word...UPSIDE! :D

I tend to agree with this.  I'm a pretty big Maroney fan... it was pretty cool watching him as a Gopher.  I just don't think he will start getting too many carries until maybe mid-season.  Even then I don't think he will be a starter this coming season unless there is a major injury.  I think he'll start to show his talent while relieving Dillon, maybe getting 25% of teh carries by the end of the season, and then maybe next year he pushes for the starting job.

1478346[/snapback]

I tend to agree. I see Maroney getting 5-10 carries per game early in the season, just giving Dillon breathers... but getting more like 10-15 carries by the end of the year. But if Dillon goes down, Maroney may not ever let him back in as the starter.

Bill plays the best players. Period. Right now Maroney is the better player. Younger, faster and hungrier. Dillon will start the season as the starter, but Bill's not like Skelator; when the back-up is averaging 6 yds/carry and the starter struggles for 4, he won't be the starter anymore. Maroney will finish the year with over a 1000 and 10 tds. Bank on it.

Bill plays the best players. Period. Right now Maroney is the better player. Younger, faster and hungrier. Dillon will start the season as the starter, but Bill's not like Skelator; when the back-up is averaging 6 yds/carry and the starter struggles for 4, he won't be the starter anymore. Maroney will finish the year with over a 1000 and 10 tds. Bank on it.

1479032[/snapback]

C'mon, dude. You haven't even seen the kid compete at minicamp yet, have you? How 'bout against NFL COMPETITION??

I'll agree that Belichick will play the best player, but you're stupid to anoint a rookie RB a better player than a Pro-Bowl NFL RB in MAY.

As a Pats homer, you're supposed to bring more valuable insights about your team. That crap doesn't qualify.

"DH" will take Leon Taylor's job just like the TV show.

In all seriousness, Corey Dillon is probably the 2nd most successful UW player in NFL history behind Hugh McElhenny. For personal reasons, I was praying the Pats would take a different type of back that would compliment him for a few years, rather than simply replace him pretty quickly. Feeling the heat, I think Dillon will start the year hot, and try to keep Maroney's helmet in his hands for as long as possible, but Maroney's a freakin' animal. Won't be long.

C'mon, dude. You haven't even seen the kid compete at minicamp yet, have you? How 'bout against NFL COMPETITION??

I'll agree that Belichick will play the best player, but you're stupid to anoint a rookie RB a better player than a Pro-Bowl NFL RB in MAY.

As a Pats homer, you're supposed to bring more valuable insights about your team. That crap doesn't qualify.

1479113[/snapback]

Is the type of insight you'd like to see where I wait until Bill tells everyone that Maroney is the starter, then come on here and say, go get Maroney, he's gonna be huge? As a homer I have seen every Pat's game over thr last 5 season's either in person or on tv. And what I saw out of Dillon last year was not impressive. Even in games when he had decent numbers, he was not the same player. Didn't look powerful, and never hreally showed the ability to make much happen in the defensive backfield, the few times he got there. And this is coming from a HUGH Dillon fan (heck, I started him in a fantasy league his rookie year on a Thursday night game vs. Tenn when he went for 246 and 4 tds, have been a fan since). He's coming off of a year where he battled an injured calf most of the second half of the year, and the Pat's managed to win a playoff game without him. Yes, the offensive line was banged up, but Patrick Pass ran at a 4.5 clip behind it, a full yard better.

Look, you do what you want with Dillon this year. Draft him like he's still a 1500 yard back, but he's not. I don't need to wait until I see pre-season games to know that. And I can tell you, unless he falls into the fourth round, he won't make a single roster of mine.

Is the type of insight you'd like to see where I wait until Bill tells everyone that Maroney is the starter, then come on here and say, go get Maroney, he's gonna be huge? As a homer I have seen every Pat's game over thr last 5 season's either in person or on tv. And what I saw out of Dillon last year was not impressive. Even in games when he had decent numbers, he was not the same player. Didn't look powerful, and never hreally showed the ability to make much happen in the defensive backfield, the few times he got there. And this is coming from a HUGH Dillon fan (heck, I started him in a fantasy league his rookie year on a Thursday night game vs. Tenn when he went for 246 and 4 tds, have been a fan since). He's coming off of a year where he battled an injured calf most of the second half of the year, and the Pat's managed to win a playoff game without him. Yes, the offensive line was banged up, but Patrick Pass ran at a 4.5 clip behind it, a full yard better.

1479498[/snapback]

I can respect all that, but wasn't Dillon banged up most of last year? And isn't he supposed to be 100% this year? :D That, to me, is a huge factor.

Look, you do what you want with Dillon this year. Draft him like he's still a 1500 yard back, but he's not. I don't need to wait until I see pre-season games to know that. And I can tell you, unless he falls into the fourth round, he won't make a single roster of mine.

1479498[/snapback]

In that case, something tells me he's going to be on several of your rosters. Dillon hasn't been going earlier than the 4th round in any draft I've seen.

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead

I can respect all that, but wasn't Dillon banged up most of last year? And isn't he supposed to be 100% this year? :D That, to me, is a huge factor.

In that case, something tells me he's going to be on several of your rosters. Dillon hasn't been going earlier than the 4th round in any draft I've seen.

1479503[/snapback]

As far as the injury...well yeah, he was injured for a lot of the season. And when see a 31 year old RB coming off a leg injury, and his team drafts the second RB selected in the first round, that tells me something.

I play in mostly 16 team leagues or larger, and most of the rankings I've seen for him is right around 50, which is the begining of the fourth at best, and in some instances, the third. Maybe I should have said unless he's available after the fourth round. Either way, he won't be on my team this year.

BTW, here is a link to the entire article that started this entire debate. Again, when Bill Belichick calls a rookies ex-o. coordinator to tell him how impressive he's been...again, that tells me something.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress...al/14614946.htm

Edited by Bring Back Pat!!!

Dude..

I know tour high on Maroney, but he's not going to take Dillon's job this year. He'll get 20-25% of the regular carries and mop-up time. I think, especially considering the Pats have a 3rd Down Back, 1000 yards and 6 TDs is a little ambitious. If Dillon get's hurt, that will be another story.

BTW - Dillon's been spending his spring running sand dunes in Cali because he was so pissed at his perfromance last year. He'll be on a mission in '06.

Dude..

I know tour high on Maroney, but he's not going to take Dillon's job this year.  He'll get 20-25% of the regular carries and mop-up time.  I think, especially considering the Pats have a 3rd Down Back, 1000 yards and 6 TDs is a little ambitious.  If Dillon get's hurt, that will be another story.

BTW - Dillon's been spending his spring running sand dunes in Cali because he was so pissed at his perfromance last year.  He'll be on a mission in '06.

1479527[/snapback]

I think he could very easily take Dillon's job, without an injury. He's faster, and plenty big enough ti run between the tackles. And because we do have a 3rd down back, his blocking isn't quite as important because he won't be out there on obvious passing downs. And you said if Dillon gets hurt? If you expect him to be fully healthy, prepare to be disapointed. Once a RB gets to 30+, injuries start taking longer to heal than when they were 24. He had a relatively minor calf injury last year that lasted 3/4 of the season.

And yes, I know Dillon's been running sand dunes in Cali. It's a workout made famous by Walter Payton. Just because a guy works out, is that supposed to mean something? I expect him to be working out

Dillon is on the fast track on the downside of his career, IMO. It was a great pick by the Pats. I think Dillon will continue to have injury problems this year, and Maroney will be starting at some point.

As a homer I have seen every Pat's game over thr last 5 season's either in person or on tv. And what I saw out of Dillon last year was not impressive. Even in games when he had decent numbers, he was not the same player. Didn't look powerful, and never hreally showed the ability to make much happen in the defensive backfield, the few times he got there.

1479498[/snapback]

Dillion's TDs saved my butt down the stretch and throughout my Fantasy playoffs, but watching him try to run between the 20s was painful. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a RBBC situation this year with Dillon once again getting the bulk of the goalline carries. I think 4th round is a pretty good call since Dillon will probably end up being a slightly more consistent Bettis/Duckett type of player this season.

One thing about Dillon is that he's an edgy guy. I wouldn't be surprised to see him to have one last hoorah, ala Martin 2 seasons ago.

That said, I am also not sure I would bet a high draft pick on that possibility in my fantasy draft. If he's lingering in the mid third round I take the chance. Mostly, I see Dillon getting 60-70% of the work, and Maroney working into the rotation as the main back-up.

I will say this much...if Belichick feels that Dillon is washed up or going to cause a problem, he'll probably cut the guy. I just don't think you see Dillon on the roster and not being the main ball carrier unless he's on the injurt report.