[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eagles Fans--Vince Papale movie coming out

wiegie

I saw a preview for the movie earlier tonight. While i'm not an eagles fan, i'll still see it opening night. Mark Whalburg makes the greatness that is Enterouge, and stared in Boogie Nights... Thats good enough for me.

One other note, Greg Kinear looks and sounds exactly like Dick Vermeal in the previews. Great casting job there.

• 3 months later...

I just saw this w/ my wife tonight.

Can anyone shed any more life on his story? My wife and I both really liked the movie, fwiw.

Wikipedia:

Philadelphia's St. Joseph's College (now University) on a track scholarship, because the university did not have a football team. In 1974, while bartending and substitute-teaching at Interboro High School, he successfully tried out for the Philadelphia Bell of the World Football League as a wide receiver. He played for the team for two seasons until the league folded in 1975.

His performance with that team earned him a meeting with Coach Dick Vermeil of the Philadelphia Eagles after general manager Jim Murray got him an invitation to a private work-out held by Coach Vermeil.

Papale and Wahlberg during the filming of Invincible, a film based on Papale's football career

Papale, at 6'2" (1.88 m) and 195 pounds (88.5 kg), eventually made the team, thereby becoming, at age 30, the oldest rookie in the history of the NFL to play without the benefit of college football experience (other than kickers). He went on to play wide receiver and special teams for the Eagles from 1976 through 1978. During that time, he played in 41 of 44 regular season games (regular seasons being 14 games in 1976-1977 and 16 games in 1978) recording two fumble recoveries (including one that led to Vermeil's first NFL victory) and one fifteen-yard reception. He was voted Special Teams Captain by his teammates, and "Man of the Year" by the Eagles in 1978 for his many charitable activities.