[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

RBBC

PantherDave

I think the trend is more widespread for one simple reason, and that is this concept of "featured Back" comes from the glory days of the NFL. When the likes of Jim Brown and Csonka were taking it to defensive players, and OJ and Tony D, Dikerson could not be caught. The players on the defensive side of the ball have become bigger and faster than in the past, so there is no way most modern running backs could bear up to the increased size and strength aka more velocity on the defensive side of the ball. The likes of Earl Campbell could not have played as long as he did vs the modern day NFL defensive players. I don't think it's a "durability" issue, it's just simple physics now adays as RB's are just plain hit harder now than then-alot harder.

I don't think it is a function of physical size and ability really. Players now are bigger and faster across the board, including RBs. What is the culprit is mostly the offensive systems found in college and the pros. There is much more devotion to more complex offenses that feature more speciaists that are related to the different packages that coaches use. If you wanted to blame anyone in particular, consider Bill Walsh who used Roger Craig and Wendell Tyler (later Rathman) back in the mid-80's.

But I also think that while it seems that there is so much RBBC, the reality is that it is not all that much more now than it has been. You mention Csonka but in the perfect season, Csonka had 195 carries to Jim Kiick's 162.

Consider these realities from the past

1975 DAL - Dorsett (208) and Robert Newhouse (180)

1964 CLE - Jim Brown (280) and Ernie Green (109)

1991 BUF - Thurman Thomas (288) and Kenneth Davis (129)

1978 Steelers - Franco Harris (310) and Rocky Bleier (165)

What historically happened was a bigger use of the fullback than we see anymore. Think about it, other than Alstott there really has been no rushing fullbacks for a long time. That is because the NFL had many team go away from the traditional pro set (or "I" formation). Now it is more common to have a speedy third down back because there is more emphasis on passing.

I think you could almost argue that there is less RBBC now with players like Edgerrin James, Alexander, Tomlinson and so on that take a huge portion of their team's runs.

I'd probably write an article about this but in the end it won't help anyone win this year. I have and will write an annual break down of RBBC in the league.

Interesting subject to me though.

The likes of Earl Campbell could not have played as long as he did vs the modern day NFL defensive players.

1478932[/snapback]

Earl Campbell did not play very long. or at least was not productive for very long. mainly b/c he got the crap beat out of him.

Earl Campbell did not play very long. or at least was not productive for very long.  mainly b/c he got the crap beat out of him.

1479154[/snapback]

Yeah, I think he had five years where he played the majority of the season. No ones body can withstand the punishment he dished out and received. It just doesnt work.