[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

going to Provence--thoughts on wine?

wiegie

Hello,

My wife and I leave for Switzerland tomorrow. As part of our trip we are going to spend a week in Provence visiting her aunt and uncle (who live just north of Aix-en-Provence).

Anybody have any recommendations for any wines from Provence or the Rhone that might be worth trying or picking up a few bottles of while we are there? (I'll be able to touch in here regularly until June 6th or so when we actually go there.)

(Or if you know a (free) website that might be useful for me to look up wines myself, that would also be helpful.)

I'm guessing the topic of Provencal wines is fairly esoteric, but I figured I would ask anyway.

Thanks!

Edited by wiegie

not well versed on provencial wines....

however, i don't think you should miss le beaux, arles, or avignon

edit;

doh! enjoy the trip :D:D

Edited by Bier Meister

Hello,

My wife and I leave for Switzerland tomorrow.  As part of our trip we are going to spend a week in Provence visiting her aunt and uncle (who live just north of Aix-en-Provence).

Anybody have any recommendations for any wines from Provence or the Rhone that might be worth trying or picking up a few bottles of while we are there?  (I'll be able to touch in here regularly until June 6th or so when we actually go there.)

(Or if you know a (free) website that might be useful for me to look up wines myself, that would also be helpful.)

I'm guessing the topic of Provencal wines is fairly esoteric, but I figured I would ask anyway.

Thanks!

1479765[/snapback]

Wiegie,

my mother and aunt are leaving on the 30th for a 3 week trip to Switzerland. Any words of advice for them?

Wiegie,

my mother and aunt are leaving on the 30th for a 3 week trip to Switzerland.  Any words of advice for them?

1480059[/snapback]

I'm not sure what sort of advice you are looking for. Are they going on their own or with a tour? If they are with a tour, they probably won't need much advice from me--if they are traveling on their own, I could be more helpful (I could also be more helpful even if they are going with a tour if I knew where they were going (in case I knew of anything in that city or area that I thought would be interesting)).

In general, Switzerland is a pretty easy place to visit. Most guidebooks do a pretty good job of giving advice. The country is run efficiently and most people speak English relatively well.

They should not be shocked by high prices--Switzerland is always expensive and right now it is as expensive as hell since the dollar is extremely weak against the franc.

Service at restaurants is generally slow (likely because servers don't work for tips--although if they want to leave a gratuity because of good service, they can have the server keep the change from their bill). Softdrinks are expensive and there is no such thing as a free refill.

I should note that the Swiss are generally reserved (and can appear unfriendly sometimes--at least to this midwestern-raised boy). My father-in-law (a Swiss)noted during his first trip to America that the one thing that stood out with him was how Americans generally seemed happy and smiling (and he noted this in comparison to the Swiss who are not usually this way). So if people seem not overly friendly to your mom and aunt, it's not because they dislike them personally.

Those are a few thoughts off the top of my head. Check your PM for my e-mail address in case it is needed.