[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Titans Weigh Options

spain

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9447461

Different options in Tennessee

By Adam Schefter

NFL Analyst

(May 18, 2006) -- The Tennessee Titans are exploring their options. Or, more specifically, the option.

Since the NFL draft wrapped up, the Titans have begun studying various option formations, with the intent of making some a limited part of their playbook this season for their first-round pick, Vince Young.

Now, the Titans are planning on installing a "Vince Young Package," one that would include the option and force opposing defenses to have to prepare for more than just Tennesee's basic offensive attack.

Behind the scenes, Titans coaches already have begun sifting through some of the various option options, pondering which to include for Young.

It would not be a difficult offense for Young to learn. At Texas, Young ran the "option read," in which he would watch the defensive end, then decide whether to hand the football to his running back or carry it himself. It is how he transformed himself into college football's most dangerous quarterback.

Vince Young's legs, not his arm, could get him on the field soon.

More of those opportunities could come this season in a package that could be a nightmare for opposing defenses. This is part of the reason the Titans are so intrigued about it. But it also could produce key yards in specific situations for Tennessee, which is why the franchise began debating the merits of it. Young could become the ultimate red-zone weapon, in an area where many offenses struggle to score touchdowns.

No NFL team is thought to have used the option for about 20 years, since around the time Young was born. But this could be about to change. These are different times, and Young is a different quarterback.

The Titans would have preferred to keep the idea secret, and even closed their team minicamp to the media on Wednesday. But the option offense is expected to get its share of practice in Tennessee, particularly in training camp, when the team will determine if its offense can be as adept at it as Young had been at Texas.

What Titans coaches also will have to wrestle with is their desire to keep Young on the bench and season him. Using him to run the offense would expose him to NFL defenses sooner than the organization would like. But in certain situations, it could be highly effective.

The quarterback who many consider to be the total package now will have his own package. And it is expected to include the option.

ROOKIE REVIEW

While the Titans are thrilled to have landed Young, they are just as excited to have plucked USC running back LenDale White in the second round.

When last season ended, the Titans believed White was a top-five talent, and would have considered drafting him with the third overall selection. But over time, White gained weight, fell out of shape and fell out of the first round, all the way to Tennessee's turn in the second round.

So in the end, Tennessee got its top-rated quarterback and one of its top two running backs. If White stays healthy, he is going to have a huge rookie year and be in the running for the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Year.

It'll be interesting to see, after all the years of analysts saying that the NFL is too fast a game for the option, if it's a total flop or it actually works sometimes. My bet is it goes down in flames, but nobody will know for sure till they actually implement it.

I remember back in the 70's when Lou Holtz installed the option in New York. The Jets were horrible and it failed miserably. I dont think this will be straight option as much as a bootleg to pass or run. The downside of this is the potential for injury to your franchise QB. It will be interesting to watch.

Edited by spain

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9447461

Different options in Tennessee   

By Adam Schefter

NFL Analyst

(May 18, 2006) -- The Tennessee Titans are exploring their options. Or, more specifically, the option.

Since the NFL draft wrapped up, the Titans have begun studying various option formations, with the intent of making some a limited part of their playbook this season for their first-round pick, Vince Young. 

Now, the Titans are planning on installing a "Vince Young Package," one that would include the option and force opposing defenses to have to prepare for more than just Tennesee's basic offensive attack.

Behind the scenes, Titans coaches already have begun sifting through some of the various option options, pondering which to include for Young.

It would not be a difficult offense for Young to learn. At Texas, Young ran the "option read," in which he would watch the defensive end, then decide whether to hand the football to his running back or carry it himself. It is how he transformed himself into college football's most dangerous quarterback.

Vince Young's legs, not his arm, could get him on the field soon.     

More of those opportunities could come this season in a package that could be a nightmare for opposing defenses. This is part of the reason the Titans are so intrigued about it. But it also could produce key yards in specific situations for Tennessee, which is why the franchise began debating the merits of it. Young could become the ultimate red-zone weapon, in an area where many offenses struggle to score touchdowns.

No NFL team is thought to have used the option for about 20 years, since around the time Young was born. But this could be about to change. These are different times, and Young is a different quarterback.

The Titans would have preferred to keep the idea secret, and even closed their team minicamp to the media on Wednesday. But the option offense is expected to get its share of practice in Tennessee, particularly in training camp, when the team will determine if its offense can be as adept at it as Young had been at Texas.

What Titans coaches also will have to wrestle with is their desire to keep Young on the bench and season him. Using him to run the offense would expose him to NFL defenses sooner than the organization would like. But in certain situations, it could be highly effective.

The quarterback who many consider to be the total package now will have his own package. And it is expected to include the option.

ROOKIE REVIEW

While the Titans are thrilled to have landed Young, they are just as excited to have plucked USC running back LenDale White in the second round.

When last season ended, the Titans believed White was a top-five talent, and would have considered drafting him with the third overall selection. But over time, White gained weight, fell out of shape and fell out of the first round, all the way to Tennessee's turn in the second round.

So in the end, Tennessee got its top-rated quarterback and one of its top two running backs. If White stays healthy, he is going to have a huge rookie year and be in the running for the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Year.

1481166[/snapback]

Shouldnn't they be trying to point Vince in the direction of the side of the big red barn? You know the one he can't hit with the football? :D

Gimmick offenses don't work in the NFL, teach the boy to throw the ball!!

Shouldnn't they be trying to point Vince in the direction of the side of the big red barn? You know the one he can't hit with the football? :D

Gimmick offenses don't work in the NFL, teach the boy to throw the ball!!

1482110[/snapback]

Gimmick offenses don't work but a gadget play here and there can work; ask the Steelers. It doesn't look like they are gonna be designing their entire offense around him but just a package. It sounds interesting but I don't think it'll work. Vince Young is not the answer for the option to succeed in the NFL.

I can see them running a single read pass/run option similar to what he did at Texas.  I don't see them running the straight option, if they do, Young will be killed.

1482162[/snapback]

Let's remember Young isn't smart enough to run anything else....

Gotta love those Wonderlic scores.

Edited by Goopster24

Let's remember Young isn't smart enough to run anything else....

Gotta love those Wonderlic scores.

1482171[/snapback]

He was smart enough to win a national championship, and only loose what 2 games in his college carreer. I don't put much credance in wonderlic scores. If you have two guys that are similar athletically ability at the same position, I might use the wonderlic as a tie breaker. Fortunatley for Young, there is nobody with anywhere near his athletic ability of Young.

My problem with this idea is that he's no longer head and shoulders above the talent level. He is nowhere near the biggest, fastest, or strongest. The linebackers and some ends can run him down. He's going to get a hugh wake-up call if they do try and run some gimmick plays... Refer to my earlier post.

College option as we know it, no.

Vick-like running plays and one read pass plays, why not.

1482199[/snapback]

Vince Young is nowhere near as fast or elusive as Mike Vick. He has to prove a lot to me before we talk about him in the same sentence as Vick.

What idiot would run a straight option? That's like giving and LB or FS a free shot on every play to plant Young six feet under without penalty. Gimicks....hah.....Titan offense has been a gimick for the past couple of years....White is not going to supplant Brownat RB...Brown is too agile....White will vulture goal line carries here and there and if Brown gets hurt get big PT...(Brown will get injured that is a gimme)....McNair goes (lets say)...Young over Volek....I say its Volek's job this year...with Young maybe coming in with a package of plays in every game to make a "D" plan for it....Volek IMO should be the starter until Young gets a grip on the playbook and NFL speed, etc... :D

My problem with this idea is that he's no longer head and shoulders above the talent level.  He is nowhere near the biggest, fastest, or strongest.  The linebackers and some ends can run him down.  He's going to get a hugh wake-up call if they do try and run some gimmick plays... Refer to my earlier post.

1482193[/snapback]

:D THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING FROM DAY ONE :D

Peace

policy