[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For those asking about the Lions' players attitude

BigTen

For those who were wondering how the players are responding to Marinelli's approach, I saw this article today. Take it for what is is worth, after all it is the Lions.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Players are buying into Marinelli's program

After the first week of OTA's, it appears the players are firmly buying into head coach Rod Marinelli's program.

When Marinelli and his players said last week that they had put the grievance behind them and were moving on, there was some skepticism about how united the team really was. They said all the right things to the media, but it was unclear how strong the undercurrent of discontentment had become.

During his first talk to the players at the start of the OTA's, Marinelli made it crystal clear that he wasn't backing down from his approach. He also made it clear that he wasn't going to let a couple of disgruntled players derail his mission. His message apparently got through -- to everybody.

According to several sources, the first week of OTA's last week was intense and highly energized. The players weren't just talking about it, they were actually doing it. The execution wasn't always there -- the players are learning new schemes on both offense and defense -- but the energy and focus was very high. The coaching staff couldn't be more pleased with how the team has responded.

The team is going through its second week of OTA's this week. After the mandatory minicamp the following week, the Lions will finish up with two more weeks of OTA's. After some time off, the team will regroup for the start of training camp in late July.

Hey BigTen,

You hearing anything about their QB situation yet?

1481670[/snapback]

Nope. I think that is is still to early just yet. I will post anything I hear as soon as I hear it.

Man, I'm already counting the victories.

:D

1481897[/snapback]

Luckily, you wont need more than one hand so your other hand will be free to pleasure yourself...

Luckily, you wont need more than one hand so your other hand will be free to pleasure yourself...

1481927[/snapback]

Wait...now that I think about it...

How do you figure?

1482075[/snapback]

Why not is the real question? He was Kiffin's right hand man in Tampa Bay. Give him a couple of years and then we will see if he is a solid head coach. I think he is on the right track at least.

Why not is the real question? He was Kiffin's right hand man in Tampa Bay. Give him a couple of years and then we will see if he is a solid head coach. I think he is on the right track at least.

1482183[/snapback]

Marinelli might be great.

I just wouldn't have confidence in a coach selected by a front office that champions the notion a hardass-motivator to toughen up the soft & lazy players that said front office has spent the last five years putting on the roster.

didn't I read somewhere that Rogers and BMW didn't like the new coaching staff or something to that extent?

1482527[/snapback]

I do not remember reading that. Rogers was in kind of a pi$$ing match with the D-Coor Henderson but they now see eye to eye. I think I also read that BMW was basically called out about his weight and that he realized that the comment made by the coaches were accurate and he has responded.

Also, they cut Wilikinson today:

Cutting Wilkinson puts bite in Marinelli's bark

New head coach Rod Marinelli has stressed all along that he wants players who want to play football and are passionate about it and Wilkinson simply didn't fill that role.

Wilkinson played well at defensive tackle last year, but he's been talking about retirement for the entire off-season and it was pretty clear that he wasn't thrilled about the more intense and physical practice habits of the new coaching staff. Also, and just as importantly, the Lions' new defense requires more speed and versatility from the tackles while Wilkinson is more of a stay-at-home type player.

The Lions made an attempt to trade Wilkinson but, knowing there was very little market for him at this stage, decided to cut ties with him so both parties could move on. This was a unique situation; don't expect any other players to be released.

Also, the Lions appear to have cooled on the idea of signing veteran receiver Az Hakim. Millen said the team, for the time being, will roll with what they have on the roster.