[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bears set backfield Depth Chart (may 23rd)

cliaz

Bears head coach Lovie Smith addressed his crowded backfield this week and continued to give public support to incumbent Thomas Jones. "I still think there's a one and there's a two, and you have to establish that, which we've done," Smith told Yahoo! Sports. "Our No. 1 is Thomas Jones. Our No. 2 is Cedric Benson. Our No. 3 is Adrian Peterson…The No. 1 will get the majority of reps. But it's a long year. You have to play the two some. We're planning on [benson getting more carries]."

The prevailing notion among fantasy rankings this spring is that Benson is the higher-paid, more-talented runner in the Bears backfield and will be a more valuable commodity this season. However, Jones has been the team's offensive MVP for two years running—accounting for 41 percent of their total touchdowns—and Lovie has never wavered in support of his starter. It may surprise most to hear that Jones is slated for the majority of the reps, but that remains the plan for now.

No surprise, to me anyway. :D It is the way it should be. "Dance w/ the one that brung ya!". Some disagree, but I think Lovie is telling the truth for NOW! Production, injuries, etc. could/will change his mind!

No surprise, to me anyway.  :D  It is the way it should be.  "Dance w/ the one that brung ya!".  Some disagree, but I think Lovie is telling the truth for NOW!  Production, injuries, etc. could/will change his mind!

1483687[/snapback]

Too bad Benson didn't get into camp last year. I hope other rookies are paying attention.

Too bad Benson didn't get into camp last year. I hope other rookies are paying attention.

1483763[/snapback]

Prolly not! Too much $$$$$$$ at stake or so they think. Enough $$$$$ for 4 families to live on for the rest of their lives and these kids want more! :D

Prolly not!  Too much $$$$$$$ at stake or so they think.  Enough $$$$$ for 4 families to live on for the rest of their lives and these kids want more! :D

1483820[/snapback]

A-freakin-men dude.

I love it!  Hope Lovie isn't blowing smoke.  Way to get behind your team's most productive offensive player, Lovie!  :D

1483658[/snapback]

Here's to hoping he stick to his decision (barring injury of course) :D

Prolly not!  Too much $$$$$$$ at stake or so they think.  Enough $$$$$ for 4 families to live on for the rest of their lives and these kids want more! :D

1483820[/snapback]

Very true but I remember Holt saying he told his agent to get a fair deal but just get him into camp early. They have 3 months to do it.

They will give up some money but if they just take last years #? picks money it may not be much.

Or if they get picked 7th ask for last years money plus whatever extra % the first signee got. If the #6 signed and got 3% more than last year ask for that.

Very true but I remember Holt saying he told his agent to get a fair deal but just get him into camp early. They have 3 months to do it.

1485389[/snapback]

Benson is NOT Holt. Holt has more class, IMHO, at least what I've seen so far. I could be wrong, but wasn't it Benson who fired his agent and hired his homey? :D

Nice move! :D He has shown nothing. He cried when he was drafted, and those were NOT tears of joy! :D I'll wait and see.

Atomic,

Jones has done more than anyone expected. 2 solid years, prolly his best 2. I wish I could go back two years and bring up his negs & doom that was posted here.

Lovie is right...."Dance w/ the one that brung ya!". But the best player plays. Twill be interesting. It's Jones' job to lose.

Benson is NOT Holt.  Holt has more class, IMHO, at least what I've seen so far.  I could be wrong, but wasn't it Benson who fired his agent and hired his homey?  :D

Nice move!  :D He has shown nothing.  He cried when he was drafted, and those were NOT tears of joy! :D I'll wait and see.

1485492[/snapback]

Well Benson did go to UT. :D I wonder how he did on the Wonderlic.

Well Benson did go to UT.  :D I wonder how he did on the Wonderlic.

1485513[/snapback]

:D I like UT. A beautiful campus. Loved the grackles(sp) in the spring! That was RR juniorettes secondary school if she couldn't go to U of I! (UTA, anyway) My guess his Wonderlic scores were low.

Majored in social work.

No offense to Social Workers :D (long hours low pay few rewards), but that ain't a tough major.

I have them both in one dynasty league. I'd like to see what Benson can do with a shot as the starter, but I think Jones has made it difficult to replace him. Ideally for me, I'd like to see Jones take his services elsewhere, as he's been under-rated for quite a while, and some teams are probably kicking themselves now for not grabbing him a couple of years back. I think Lovie is right in not yanking the starting job from Jones right now, and this talk could also just be a bit of appeasing Jones...I mean he did sign with Rosenhaus not too long ago right? :D I think this situation will resolve itself, and I doubt Jones will be happy with the way it plays out. Lovie can make this decision for now...but if Jones struggles in the least bit, or the Bears are not in contention...the calls for Benson will be loud. Eventually, this decision isn't Lovie's.

Edited by Hitman

spoken like a benson owner who doesn't own jones.  :D

1485504[/snapback]

I thought it was an honest assesment. :D

Before I ever drafted Benson, I was let down several times by Jones in Arizona and Tampa. It leads me to the conclusion that maybe Chicago's system may be helping his numbers, and a more talented back could do even more.

But, maybe it's just that TJ finally found a place that can use his style of play.

I thought it was an honest assesment.  :D

Before I ever drafted Benson, I was let down several times by Jones in Arizona and Tampa.  It leads me to the conclusion that maybe Chicago's system may be helping his numbers, and a more talented back could do even more. 

But, maybe it's just that TJ finally found a place that can use his style of play.

1485922[/snapback]

Jones played excellent when given the chance on T.B. the only place he did not produce was Arizona, and what RB has produced there? and ,IMO Jones last year in Arizona was not that bad considering the circumstances and the fact that he only played in 9 games.

That all being said, Kruetz(if that is how it is spelled) is the main reason for Chicago's excellent run game. and the fact that Jones puts his head down and gets the yards the line gives him IMO is his biggest plus. I think either RB would do well, for that matter I think Peterson would do well on this team. but I think Jones is,and should be the number 1 back. he has proven he can get it done..so why tinker with it.

I have them both in one dynasty league.  I'd like to see what Benson can do with a shot as the starter, but I think Jones has made it difficult to replace him.  Ideally for me, I'd like to see Jones take his services elsewhere,  as he's been under-rated for quite a while, and some teams are probably kicking themselves now for not grabbing him a couple of years back.  I think Lovie is right in not yanking the starting job from Jones right now, and this talk could also just be a bit of appeasing Jones...I mean he did sign with Rosenhaus not too long ago right? :D  I think this situation will resolve itself, and I doubt Jones will be happy with the way it plays out.  Lovie can make this decision for now...but if Jones struggles in the least bit, or the Bears are not in contention...the calls for Benson will be loud.  Eventually, this decision isn't Lovie's.

1485584[/snapback]

RB isn't where the issue is....Bears QB needs attention...RB is least of Lovie's issues IMO...2 good RB's =no problem here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

That all being said, Kruetz(if that is how it is spelled) is the main reason for Chicago's excellent run game. and the fact that Jones puts his head down and gets the yards the line gives him IMO is his biggest plus. I think either RB would do well, for that matter I think Peterson would do well on this team. but I think Jones is,and should be the number 1 back. he has proven he can get it done..so why tinker with it.

1485971[/snapback]

I have to credit the system for a lot of it when Brock Forsey can rush for 137 in a single game. (see my sig line) :D

Smith has TJ as his #1 so he doesn't lower his trade value....

he'll either be traded or cut shortly after june 1st...

1489327[/snapback]

Interesting theory. But, as a Denver fan... I know the value of good backups. Seems silly to put all your eggs in one basket when you have two perfectly good baskets? How expensive is TJ to them?

I have to credit the system for a lot of it when Brock Forsey can rush for 137 in a single game.  (see my sig line) :D

Interesting theory.  But, as a Denver fan... I know the value of good backups.  Seems silly to put all your eggs in one basket when you have two perfectly good baskets?  How expensive is TJ to them?

1489461[/snapback]

I heard about the TJ situation yesterday on NFL Network....and he's clearly unhappy there and is likely not participating in any camps...

they are trying to trade him and he could end up the wildcard on june 1st....him and Marcel Shipp could be available...

scratch that...Shipp WILL be available and could be pretty good behind an at least good OL...

Smith has TJ as his #1 so he doesn't lower his trade value....

he'll either be traded or cut shortly after june 1st...

1489327[/snapback]

Possible, but Peterson is a trade candidate also.

Possible, but Peterson is a trade candidate also.

1489556[/snapback]

TJ eats up more cap space....

it would be ideal to keep Peterson as he's still very talented and doesn't hit the cap like TJ does....

plus TJ has more trade value...