[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bears set backfield Depth Chart (may 23rd)

cliaz

TJ eats up more cap space....

it would be ideal to keep Peterson as he's still very talented and doesn't hit the cap like TJ does....

plus TJ has more trade value...

1489643[/snapback]

Let's not forget that Peterson had a 0.8 YPC average better than Jones last year. Granted, Jones got a great majority of the reps. However, not a single Chicago RB's YPC was below 4 last year.

Don't get me wrong, I like Jones. However, Chicago is turning into a Denver or a KC style paradise for RBs. With Kruetz in the middle, Tait and Brown on the right side, and with Miller and Metcalf on the left side, this is one of the best offensive line us Bears fans have seen in a long time. IMO, Benson is the better back. However, like it's been said before, I don't get to watch these guys everyday like Lovie does. I honestly think that Jones will be out of Chicago before the season starts.

Most importantly... Lovie is the coach and a darn good one at that. I'll stand behind him with whichever decision he makes. :D

Let's not forget that Peterson had a 0.8 YPC average better than Jones last year.  Granted, Jones got a great majority of the reps.  However, not a single Chicago RB's YPC was below 4 last year. 

Don't get me wrong, I like Jones.  However, Chicago is turning into a Denver or a KC style paradise for RBs.  With Kruetz in the middle, Tait and Brown on the right side, and with Miller and Metcalf on the left side, this is one of the best offensive line us Bears fans have seen in a long time.  IMO, Benson is the better back.  However, like it's been said before, I don't get to watch these guys everyday like Lovie does.  I honestly think that Jones will be out of Chicago before the season starts.

Most importantly... Lovie is the coach and a darn good one at that.  I'll stand behind him with whichever decision he makes. :D

1489898[/snapback]

I concur with the OL comment....this is why I liked TJ so much heading into the 2004 season.....and he lived up to those expectations until Grossman went down and the passing game was laughable..

Smith has TJ as his #1 so he doesn't lower his trade value....

he'll either be traded or cut shortly after june 1st...

1489327[/snapback]

I think Lovie has TJ as his #1 right now b/c right now TJ has earned that right and Benson has not. I think CHI should be open to trades... but I really expected a move to happen before or during the draft. I'm not so sure but what they go with both of them this year unless someone really comes after TJ strong - and I'm just not convinced that is going to happen.

As far as him being CUT, that seems out of the question to me. Why in the world would they do that?

I say all of that, btw, as a devout Longhorn fan and alum, and as an owner of Benson who would LOVE to see him given the reins... I just think it may be another season in the coming.

I think Lovie has TJ as his #1 right now b/c right now TJ has earned that right and Benson has not.  I think CHI should be open to trades... but I really expected a move to happen before or during the draft.  I'm not so sure but what they go with both of them this year unless someone really comes after TJ strong - and I'm just not convinced that is going to happen.

As far as him being CUT, that seems out of the question to me.  Why in the world would they do that?

I say all of that, btw, as a devout Longhorn fan and alum, and as an owner of Benson who would LOVE to see him given the reins...  I just think it may be another season in the coming.

1490973[/snapback]

Adam Schefter or whatever his name is was talking about it on NFL network...

edit: also...he isn't expected to report to any form of camp any time soon...

Edited by Avernus

There's plenty of time for Benson to change Lovie's mind, right?  Or am I supposed to read this as there's no way Benson can play his way into the #1 over the pre-season?

1491576[/snapback]

Of course there is a way for Benson to change Lovie's mind - and I think that is precisely what it is going to take. Benson needs to show the goods, and TJ will have to waver, either by not playing as well or by being stupid and holding out, which is what landed Benson in this position in the first place. If they both look good in the preseason, I expect will see them split time for awhile, barring a trade of TJ.

Don't get me wrong, I like Jones.  However, Chicago is turning into a Denver or a KC style paradise for RBs.  With Kruetz in the middle, Tait and Brown on the right side, and with Miller and Metcalf on the left side, this is one of the best offensive line us Bears fans have seen in a long time. 

1489898[/snapback]

Strong words for an OL that has only produced 1 healthy season since 2002, and that was last year. Other than that, it's been just short of a disaster.....

The past 3 seasons have all been 1,000+ yard rushing seasons.  You consider this "just short of disaster"?  Guess my definition of a successful rushing season is a bit skewed... :D

1492086[/snapback]

Umm, no they haven't. Where are you getting your stats from?

2002, 2004 no 1000 yard rusher. And for that matter in 2003 ATrain squeaked by with 1024 yards. That qualifies, but not overwhelmingly. 2005 - their best season by far, in a long while.

My, how soon we forget they stareted 11 or 12 guys on their OL in 2004.

In fact, here is the yardage ranking for the last 5 years.

2001- 17th

2002 - 32nd

2003 - 18th

2004 - 26th

2005 - 8th

In the meantime, you take both KC and Denver over those 5 year spans and they are in the top ten 9 of 10 timies total. The Bears have been consistently in the bottom half, with the exception of last year when they were healthy for the season.

We have a LONG WAY to go before the Bears are close to what you claimed: a RB haven in the mold of KC/Denver.

just the facts, couresy of football-reference.com

Edited by Pope Flick

Umm, no they haven't. Where are you getting your stats from?

1492142[/snapback]

Anthony Thomas: 1,024 rushing yards (did not play weeks 7, 8, 13)

Brock Forsey: 195 rushing yards (combined weeks 7, 8, 13)

Thomas Jones: 948 rushing yards (did not play weeks 9, 10. Had 1 carry in week 8)

Anthony Thomas: 280 rushing yards (combined weeks 8, 9, 10)

Thomas Jones: 1,335 rushing yards

Using your same website as a reference it shows me in (in essence) 2003 we had a 1200 yard rusher, in 2004 we had a 1200 yard rusher, and in 2005 we had a 1300 yard rusher. I never said we were at the level of KC or DEN but, simply excited that we're getting better every year.

Anthony Thomas: 1,024 rushing yards (did not play weeks 7, 8, 13)

Thomas Jones: 948 rushing yards (did not play weeks 9, 10. Had 1 carry in week 8)

Anthony Thomas: 280 rushing yards (combined weeks 8, 9, 10)

Thomas Jones: 1,335 rushing yards

Using your same website as a reference it shows me in (in essence) 2003 we had a 1200 yard rusher, in 2004 we had a 1200 yard rusher, and in 2005 we had a 1300 yard rusher.  I never said we were at the level of KC or DEN but, simply excited that we're getting better every year.

1494681[/snapback]

It is not much of an accomplishment for a team to eclipse 1000 yards rushing ... that's only an average of 62.5 yards rushing per game.

I think the Bears will go into the season with Jones with Benson getting between 5 and 10 carries a game(depending on how he plays). if I am the Bears I stick with Jones. who wants to be the guy who trades Jones( a guy who has produced) and then Benson shows he can not stay healthy enough to be the starter and you end up using 4 or 5 RB's during the season while Jones makes you look silly somewhere else.

As I said..I think I any of them can produce behind this line. not so sure they can stay healthy though. besides, it never hurts to have 2 good backs. If Benson produces this year though I think he would end up the starter by the end of the season or at the beginning of next for sure.

Using your same website as a reference it shows me in (in essence) 2003 we had a 1200 yard rusher, in 2004 we had a 1200 yard rusher, and in 2005 we had a 1300 yard rusher.  I never said we were at the level of KC or DEN but, simply excited that we're getting better every year.

1494681[/snapback]

Well, I took your original to be a single player eclipsing 1000 yards.

Since you want to go team concept, I'll just point out where they rank compared to the rest of the league each year. I don't know if they're 'getting better' because of last year or just 'played healthier.'

In any event, it's nothing to be happy about - the last 5 yeras rushing. There's a lot of work to do. It's easy to show improvement when you were 32nd a few years ago.

Edited by Pope Flick

1494681[/snapback]

I can honestly and with no bias say that Brock Forsey was a stud of the highest caliber. Chicago, Miami, and Washington all made a huge mistake cutting him.

So is it Benson's job to lose now or is Lovie just punishing Jones?

1498665[/snapback]

I'd say the latter. It's Lovie's style. JMO