[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

David Boston to the Bucs?

Otis

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heres an interesting tidbit from a chat session today with denny greens son jeremy

rj (miami): Did the Bucs sign David Boston only to push Michael Clayton? The WR position is getting a little crowded. Galloway, Clayton, Hilliard, Boston, and rookie Stovall. I don't think they can keep both Hilliard and Boston.

Jeremy Green: (4:05 PM ET ) If Boston comes in and regains his old form, they could eventually try to move Clayton. I talked with a scout on their staff that has told me the coaching staff is tiring of his partying, being late for meetings, not paying attention in meetings and basic aloof attitude.

1487685[/snapback]

Wow. That's news to me. All I've ever heard is that Clayton's a great "character guy."

Good info. :D

Believe IMO that Ike has seen his last days if Boston does well...could push Clayton and Galloway....Boston in Tampa means Gruden don't like someone on his WR Corp...whom might that be????? :D:D

Wow. That's news to me. All I've ever heard is that Clayton's a great "character guy."

Good info. :D

1487811[/snapback]

swiss...heres a question that rolled in the same chat session several minutes later

nolan, new orleans: do you have bad information about michael clayton? or does the beat writer for the bucs? there was an article in the tribune last week saying how gruden and clayton were on the same page and clayton has been at the bucs site all summer working out hard and trying to regain his rookie form? where does the truth lie?

Jeremy Green: (4:30 PM ET ) Well I know this... If Gruden bad mouths him, I would guess his trade value would go down.

i should add this one too

Jeremy: In refernce to your thoughts on Gruden and Clayton, would a coach really make positive public statements just to solidify a player's trade value? sounds like a conspiracy theory.

Jeremy Green: (4:35 PM ET ) Happens every day... That is why there are so few trades in the NFL. I worked in and NFL Front Office and teams lie all the time.

Wow...some funny goings on here....Boston...Simms.....no mention of Clayton???

Buccaneers | Boston says he's healed on all fronts

Fri, 26 May 2006 05:47:57 -0700

Stephen F. Holder, of the St. Petersburg Times, reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers WR David Boston (knee) said he is driven to be the player he was once was. Less than 24 hours after completing a deal with the Buccaneers, Boston participated in the team's voluntary workout at Raymond James Stadium Thursday, May 25. He immediately returned to One Buc Place, where he began a series of calisthenics followed by a meeting with his position coach. "When you've gone out and had success in the league, you know what it's like and how hard you need to work and how hungry you were when you were doing it," said Boston, who was selected to the Pro Bowl after a career year in 2001. "I've never forgotten that. It sets a standard." Boston said his knee is about 90 percent healed, so, to be safe, he will take only a limited number of reps, 15 to 20 each workout for now.

Buccaneers | Simms excited about Boston addition

Fri, 26 May 2006 05:43:02 -0700

Roy Cummings, of the Tampa Tribune, reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers QB Chris Simms is excited about the addition of WR David Boston to the team. "It's great to have him here," Simms said of Boston, who signed a free agent contract with the Bucs Wednesday, May 24. "It definitely gives us another downfield threat. I mean, if you put Joey (Galloway) on one side and David Boston on the other, it's going to make defenses think about who they want to cheat their safeties to in coverage. We really have a lot of speed at receiver now." In reality, though, it is way too soon to suggest that Boston will provide the Bucs with a deep threat to complement Galloway

Very interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Wow...some funny goings on here....Boston...Simms.....no mention of Clayton???

Buccaneers | Boston says he's healed on all fronts

Fri, 26 May 2006 05:47:57 -0700

Roy Cummings, of the Tampa Tribune, reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers QB Chris Simms is excited about the addition of WR David Boston to the team. "It's great to have him here," Simms said of Boston, who signed a free agent contract with the Bucs Wednesday, May 24. "It definitely gives us another downfield threat. I mean, if you put Joey (Galloway) on one side and David Boston on the other, it's going to make defenses think about who they want to cheat their safeties to in coverage. We really have a lot of speed at receiver now." In reality, though, it is way too soon to suggest that Boston will provide the Bucs with a deep threat to complement Galloway

1487978[/snapback]

Clayton is an over-the-middle possession receiver, and not a downfield guy, which is why Simms is talking about Boston and Galloway stretching the field. Safeties would not be covering Clayton. To make an analogy, Clayton is a Boldin-type receiver, not a Fitz.

That said, I don't see Boston doing much of anything to stretch the field. He is just too slow. Unless there have been some seriously dramatic changes and he is 100% healthy, this is much ado about nothing.

::D

Clayton is an over-the-middle possession receiver, and not a downfield guy, which is why Simms is talking about Boston and Galloway stretching the field.  Safeties would not be covering Clayton.  To make an analogy, Clayton is a Boldin-type receiver, not a Fitz.

That said, I don't see Boston doing much of anything to stretch the field.  He is just too slow.  Unless there have been some seriously dramatic changes and he is 100% healthy, this is much ado about nothing.

::D

1488034[/snapback]

Yeah, Fitzgerald is a real burner!

And what's this about Boston being slow? He was never slow -- he always had a crazy size/speed ratio, which is why he was selected so high in the draft...and the reason he averaged over 16 yards per catch for three years in a row, on 201 total catches.

:D

And what's this about Boston being slow? He was never slow -- he always had a crazy size/speed ratio, which is why he was selected so high in the draft...and the reason he averaged over 16 yards per catch for three years in a row, on 201 total catches.

1488647[/snapback]

Thank you yeah Speed Kills, but smarts and Strength will be a DB anyday.

1488647[/snapback]

Are we pretending that the past 5 years haven't happened?

Are you saying that Boston has somehow gotten significantly slower in the last TWO years?

1488967[/snapback]

Have you watched him play at all in the past 2-3 years? He is big and stiff and can't get ANY separation. Blame it on the roids, or blame it on the knee, but either way, he is a shadow of the player he was getting out of college.

Are you saying that Boston has somehow gotten significantly slower in the last TWO years?

1488967[/snapback]

after his lis franc sprain...he never regained form and he bulked up too much....so much that he never had the speed to get open...

I thought this was common knowledge around here :D

after his lis franc sprain...he never regained form and he bulked up too much....so much that he never had the speed to get open...

I thought this was common knowledge around here  :D

1488981[/snapback]

I thought this was common knowledge on every fantasy football message board on the internet.

I thought this was common knowledge on every fantasy football message board on the internet.

1489005[/snapback]

I thought I heard that he has slimmed down some and isn't quite as muscular. I think he is worth taking as a 5th or 6th WR.

after his lis franc sprain...he never regained form and he bulked up too much....

1488981[/snapback]

That part is certainly common knowledge.

so much that he never had the speed to get open...

1488981[/snapback]

That part is NOT common knowledge -- sounds more like your opinion.

Speed is a natural ability. After recovering from injuries, most players can regain the speed they had before. Unless you guys have some valid reason to believe that Boston's injury was so unique that it robbed him of his "God-given" speed, then I'll assume he regained it once he got healthy (or will regain it once he gets fully healthy).

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead

That part is certainly common knowledge.

That part is NOT common knowledge -- sounds more like your opinion.

Speed is a natural ability. After recovering from injuries, most players can regain the speed they had before. Unless you guys have some valid reason to believe that Boston's injury was so unique that it robbed him of his "God-given" speed, then I'll assume he regained it once he got healthy (or will regain it once he gets fully healthy).

1489330[/snapback]

When Boston came out of college he was listed at 6-1 and 212-215 depending on the source. And he was routinely clocked right around 4.45-4.5 in the forty, which is good, but not a spectacular. Right now most of the reports have him listed at 6-2(?) and 228-235, again depending on the source. It was not the injury per-se that robbed him of his speed. It was the fact that because he got injured he turned to a freak-like work out regimen in an attempt to stave of another injury(his reasoning at least). In doing so it's obvious he put on some serious pounds. If he had started from a point of a 4.28 guy and then now he was running a 4.4or 4.5, then fine, but there's no way he runs a 4.45-4.5 now, after adding those pounds of pure muscle. Tell me you think this guy is fast:

http://images.google.com/images?q=david+bo...images&ct=title

When Boston came out of college he was listed at 6-1 and 212-215 depending on the source. And he was routinely clocked right around 4.45-4.5 in the forty, which is good, but not a spectacular. Right now most of the reports have him listed at 6-2(?) and 228-235, again depending on the source. It was not the injury per-se that robbed him of his speed. It was the fact that because he got injured he turned to a freak-like work out regimen in an attempt to stave of another injury(his reasoning at least). In doing so it's obvious he put on some serious pounds. If he had started from a point of a 4.28 guy and then now he was running a 4.4or 4.5, then fine, but there's no way he runs a 4.45-4.5 now, after adding those pounds of pure muscle. Tell me you think this guy is fast:

http://images.google.com/images?q=david+bo...images&ct=title

1489342[/snapback]

This is a stupid argument, but...

I remember different 40 times being attributed to Boston before he was drafted, but I do remember reports out of Miami (when they acquired him) that he ran a 4.36 at 240 pounds. Also, I've read a few reports out of Tampa in the last couple of days that said part of the reason they signed him was because he ran an "impressive" 40-yard dash.

Either way, my point is you don't know. You can't just look 3-year-old pictures of him from Google's image directory and say, "He just doesn't look fast." He averaged over 16 yards over a 201-catch span. Slow guys don't do that. Actually, I bet you'd be hard-pressed to find another WR in the NFL today who has a similar YPC over a similar span.

If he's healthy, I assume he's retained his physical abilities unless I have reason to believe otherwise. If you want to believe he's slow, okay. :D I just wouldn't be surprised AT ALL if he's still running under a 4.5.

I thought this was common knowledge around here  :D

1488981[/snapback]

Not to say he has regained his speed or anything, but I am steering clear of Simms if he contradicts Avernus about Boston's speed:

Buccaneers | Simms excited about Boston addition

Fri, 26 May 2006 05:43:02 -0700

Simms is a bad judgement of speed as he has to throw the ball not clock Boston.... :D:D:D:D

He averaged over 16 yards over a 201-catch span.

1489358[/snapback]

That span started 6 years ago is the point. What about his 2003 year when he averaged 12.6 over 70 catches? And since then he hasn't been able to stay healthy. You're assuming a lot of things. Assuming he's fully healthy. Assuming that even if he's fully healthy, he's back to his 4.4-4.5 speed. I'm just saying recent history, not 6 year old stuff, points to him not being able to be a huge contributor.

Randy Moss averaged over 17 yards in the exact same three season span. Wanna make the argument that he's going to average 17 this year?