[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

platooning QBs.

cliaz

Curious as to how many of you all use a platoon of QBs to ride through the season and if it has been successful in the past.

1487155[/snapback]

you mean stockpile a bunch of the good ones? What's a platoon of QB's?

I try to stick with a top 5 round pick QB and ride him through the season. Bulger wasn't able to play a lot last season so I ended up fishing in the waiver wire pool a lot.

if you look at my sig you will see as last year i own Brees & Bledsoe i switched them in my line up according to match up and got burned almost every time. one week one would get 30 points the other would get 14 points = i always ended up starting the one that got 14 points !!!

if you look at my sig you will see as last year i own Brees & Bledsoe i switched them in my line up according to match up and got burned almost every time. one week one would get 30 points the other would get 14 points = i always ended up starting the one that got 14 points !!!

1487221[/snapback]

This happens to me a lot. It's not really a strategy I look for though. I get ready to grab a QB in say the 5th and then someone else I never expected to be on the board is there at my turn so I pass on QB until the next but by then the run on QB's starts. I then end up getting 2 average qb's and tend to pick the wrong one I'd say 7/10 times.

Edited by Whiskey Pimp

I'm not sure if that is the right title for it or not but when you get 2 or more Qbs and play them according to matchups instead of using one QB all season long.

1487189[/snapback]

This year I have Eli and Trent Green so I may do it this year. Normally I don't.

You are much better off sticking with a good QB throughout the season then trying to predict all the good games an average QB will have....I've never seen QB Platooning work.....but I have seen D/ST platooning work very well.

You are much better off sticking with a good QB throughout the season then trying to predict all the good games an average QB will have....I've never seen QB Platooning work.....

1487285[/snapback]

No kidding, but sometimes it doesn't work out that well. Sometimes your QB2 is having a better than backup season and it makes you start to think about who to start. You can either grab 2 QB's from the 8-16 range or you can grab a top one early and wait for your backup and hope you only ever need that backup for the 1 bye week.

No kidding, but sometimes it doesn't work out that well.  Sometimes your QB2 is having a better than backup season and it makes you start to think about who to start.  You can either grab 2 QB's from the 8-16 range or you can grab a top one early and wait for your backup and hope you only ever need that backup for the 1 bye week.

1487290[/snapback]

Agreed. Thats the beauty of the draft. You select your starter early then you back up with your "sleeper" and hope both or at least one pans out. Injury is the biggest concern with these early round QB picks.....Think about all those poor people who drafted CPep, McNabb, & Bulger. I think its rare that a top 10 ranked QB doesnt end with near top 10 FF numbers unless its injury related......except Farve last year :D

I'm not sure if that is the right title for it or not but when you get 2 or more Qbs and play them according to matchups instead of using one QB all season long.

1487189[/snapback]

I love to do that. Matchup are always better to me than being so dependant on him to light it up every night. Which aint going to happen. In WDDL I have Eli Manning, Rex Grossman and Josh McCown. Not spectular but I think per match up wise I should be ok.

I am always building my RB/WR corps way before I even touch a QB.  QB's like Delhomme/Bledsoe/Plummer/Favre/Vick will be available after the top ones are gone and all these are pretty darn close almost every year, would much rather have a bench than waste an early pick on a top QB.

1487308[/snapback]

I agree with u only depending on the scoring system. I believe each position gets you closer to the championship. If you got 5 good RB. And can play only 2 a week why? Yeah u could trade but that is a risk in itself. If you build your team equally you can win consistantly. U can only play so many players per position. And if you match up better or equally in all place and excel in one because its built equally you have a better chance to win.

One 10-team league I play in starts 2 QBs. You can generally put one guy in there who you know will produce but your second guy is always interesting. I really like it becasue it adds an a whole new element of strategy to the game. You have to platoon and play the matchups, good stuff all around, unless of course you end up like me last year and have Culpepper, then Griese, then Bulger go down.

I agree with u only depending on the scoring system.  I believe each position gets you closer to the championship.  If you got 5 good RB.  And can play only 2 a week why?  Yeah u could trade but that is a risk in itself.  If you build your team equally you can win consistantly.  U can only play so many players per position.  And if you match up better or equally in all place and excel in one because its built equally you have a better chance to win.

1487340[/snapback]

Man...this guy is good. :D

I agree with u only depending on the scoring system.  I believe each position gets you closer to the championship.  If you got 5 good RB.  And can play only 2 a week why?  Yeah u could trade but that is a risk in itself.  If you build your team equally you can win consistantly.  U can only play so many players per position.  And if you match up better or equally in all place and excel in one because its built equally you have a better chance to win.

1487340[/snapback]

I seem to win my redraft at least every other year by waiting on a QB and building a strong bench. My teams, for some reason, always seem to be injury ridden. Last year in my redraft, I ended up winning it with RB's of Wells and Fisher towards the end cause I lost DD, KJones stunk up the joint and lost McAllister early in the season. Lost Walker, Boldin missed games too. I honestly can't remember who my QB was, but it wasn't a Peyton or Palmer. Seems to work for me building a bench, but to each their own.

Scoring system in my redraft is: 1pt/50yds pass, 1pt/10yds rush, 6pts/td, -1/int.

I actually tried this a couple of times last year as an experiment and I did NOT like the results. If you get middle tier QBs, it may seem to produce the equivalent of a top tier QB if you mix them correctly but it rarely works out that way. More often than not, you will pick the wrong one or they both will just be the average QB they were in the first place. In FF, you need difference makers in order to gain an advantage and you do not get that choosing between two average QBs each week.

As deeply as quality QBs last in drafts, there is no excuse for not having a good QB to rely on.

I"ve juggled QBs and had it work out OK, but for simplicity's sake, I like to make a decision and ride one guy for good or ill.

In '03 I was playing matchups with my QBs and RBs - so naturally I had Matt Hasselbeck ridin' the pine for his 5 td game and Jamal Lewis sitting on the sidelines when he went off for 295 yds.

I do this in almost all my redrafts, and have had great success with it. The trick is getting 3 qbs with a shot to be top 20, and who combined face a lot of bad pass defenses. The increased points at rb, wr, te is almost always worth what, if anything, i give up at qb.

In my experience, any time you try to platoon QBs (or just about any other position player), you're going to get burned. "Playing the matchups" blows.

I remember pulling my hair out with Grbac and Gannon that year. :D

Here is an option I haven't read in this thread yet. Seems like we are talking QBBC, but what about handcuffing your QB? You rarely see it happen in FF, because chances are that the backup QB won't be given free reign to chuck it up like the starter who got injured. But what if you could find a pass-happy team with an injury-prone QB and a proven veteran backup? A backup that you could draft in the last round perhaps. Yes, this year I am talking about drafting Marc Bulger, then getting your bye week filler in the late rounds, then picking up Gus Frerotte right near the end of the draft. If Bulger lasts the whole season, you'll be fine. If he goes down, Linehan isn't gonna drastically change the gameplan, because he'll have faith in Gus to take over where Marc left off.