[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steelers' Santonio Holmes

Flypaste

Exactly. A cop can pretty much arrest anybody for anything, if the cop determines the behavior to be "disorderly." Something tells me that some cops have loose definitions of the word.

1490408[/snapback]

Well according to the definition of "disorderly conduct:

A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally:

(1) engages in fighting or in tumultuous conduct;

(2) makes unreasonable noise and continues to do so after being asked to stop; or

(3) disrupts a lawful assembly of persons;

commits disorderly conduct. . . [1]...

The only legal punishments are probation, restraining orders, and community service.

I do not see what the big deal of this arrest is, other than the embarrasment. Why is it always the cops fault for someone acting like an a$$hat? Maybe he deserved it. You would think that an upstanding citizen would not make a scene. You are right that there are bad cops but no cop should have to be verbally abused by anyone. Why not just do as the officer says and then complain to a superior? Sounds like it would have been best for Santonio.

(2) makes unreasonable noise and continues to do so after being asked to stop; or

commits disorderly conduct. . . [1]...

The only legal punishments are probation, restraining orders, and community service.

I do not see what the big deal of this arrest is, other than the embarrasment.  Why is it always the cops fault for someone acting like an a$$hat?  Maybe he deserved it.  You would think that an upstanding citizen would not make a scene.  You are right that there are bad cops but no cop should have to be verbally abused by anyone.  Why not just do as the officer says and then complain to a superior?  Sounds like it would have been best for Santonio.

1490483[/snapback]

I actually agree with you. He probably did something to deserve this. It is a little bit disappointing, but, nothing to get to upset about.

From ProFootballTalk

HOLMES CAUGHT UP IN SOUTH BEACH CRACKDOWN?

Though we're not making excuses for Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes, who might ultimately make the team regret passing on Chad Jackson in round one, it looks like Holmes' recent arrest might have been due in part to some overly zealous police officers in Miami.

According to the Associated Press, two members of the Washington Wizards also were arrested over the weekend in South Beach, as part of what the AP describes as a Memorial Day "crackdown on disorderly behavior." In all 557, people were arrested from Thursday morning through Saturday night on Miami Beach.

Like Holmes, Awvee Story of the Wizards was in the street, blocking traffic. When police told him to get out of the street, he failed to do so, and was busted.

Enter Gilbert Arenas, who emerged from a nearby vehicle and walked toward the scene. Police told him to get back to his car, he failed to do so, and was busted.

Said Arenas in response: "You can't arrest me. I'm a basketball player. I play for the Washington Wizards, and I'm not going to leave my teammate."

Hey, Gil -- you were on South Beach, not the beaches of Normandy.

The point here is that, in an area where folks presumably get liquored up in one or more of the local clubs and then take the party out to the sidewalk (and beyond), police are trying to reverse the trend by encouraging folks not to do things like stand in the street. Earlier this offseason, Eagles linebacker Dhani Jones was busted in South Beach for refusing to quit dancing in the street.

And the work "crackdown" implies that part of the problem here is that police previously were too lax.

Still, guys like Holmes and Story and Arenas need to understand that, when a guy with a badge tells you to do something, it's usually a pretty good idea to comply.

Said Arenas in response:  "You can't arrest me.  I'm a basketball player.  I play for the Washington Wizards, and I'm not going to leave my teammate." :D  :D

Still, guys like Holmes and Story and Arenas need to understand that, when a guy with a badge tells you to do something, it's usually a pretty good idea to comply. :D

1490548[/snapback]

(2) makes unreasonable noise and continues to do so after being asked to stop;or

commits disorderly conduct.

1490483[/snapback]

Hmmmmm ... no mention of postpadding in the definition, so we may be safe in here ... :D

557 arrests for disorderly conduct in 3 nights? I call BS. Add to the fact that he was not intoxicated tells me the cops were trying to make a buck over the holidays. I'm starting to sway towards the cops being the derbys in this scenario.

Still sounds like a bunch of BS to me.  I may be tainted by my little brush with some ass hole cops and how they can abuse power when they feel like it.  I'm not saying that all cops do this but I am saying that my research into the laws has me thinking that even though it would be in bad taste, I can scream F You at the cops and not be arrested for it unless I am trying to start a fight or something of that nature.  Four letter words do not equal an arrest.

1490272[/snapback]

If I was a cop and you yelled, "F-You" to me, there WOULD be a fight. The worst part of the story is that he wasn't even drunk, which means he's just an A-Hole at heart.

If I was a cop and you yelled, "F-You" to me, there WOULD be a fight.  The worst part of the story is that he wasn't even drunk, which means he's just an A-Hole at heart.

1491709[/snapback]

::D

Enjoy last place.

Hopefully the reflection off of our 5 rings doesn't hurt your eyes..... :D

If I was a cop and you yelled, "F-You" to me, there WOULD be a fight.  The worst part of the story is that he wasn't even drunk, which means he's just an A-Hole at heart.

1491709[/snapback]

Well, good thing you're not a cop then. Cops have to have very thick skin to be good at their job. A lot of them do and a lot of them make great cops. I on the other hand have first hand experince with at least one that doesn't make the cut. Trust me, if you get out of your bubble then you will see that there are cops that use the DC as a way to screw somebody when there really isn't a good reason to do so. I have no problem with anyone that was arrested for DC. It is just telling me that they were in the wrong place at the wrong time and didn't do something wrong enough to be arrested for a real problem.

Edited by Skippy

Well, good thing you're not a cop then.  Cops have to have very thick skin to be good at their job.  A lot of them do and a lot of them make great cops.  I on the other hand have first hand experince with at least one that doesn't make the cut.  Trust me, if you get out of your bubble then you will see that there are cops that use the DC as a way to screw somebody when there really isn't a good reason to do so.  I have no problem with anyone that was arrested for DC.  It is just telling me that they were in the wrong place at the wrong time and didn't do something wrong enough to be arrested for a real problem.

1491904[/snapback]

And I a m sure that is has nothing to do with just being an idiot, right? Why is it so hard to respect authority? Yeah, some cops need to get thick skin. Maybe some one should explain to Santonio that you get respect by giving it. But of course he is an athlete and I guess he does not need to abide by the rules the rest of us need to. Eitrher way, it is really not a big deal.

Big Ten - You have missed my point. Or maybe I didn't make it very well. Anyway, yes indeed he may very well have been acting like an idiot.

All I am saying is that the DC charge really doesn't mean squat to me.

Big Ten - You have missed my point.  Or maybe I didn't make it very well.  Anyway, yes indeed he may very well have been acting like an idiot. 

All I am saying is that the DC charge really doesn't mean squat to me.

1491923[/snapback]

I agree, other than a way to jam up an a$$hat like this.

I agree, other than a way to jam up an a$$hat like this.

1492090[/snapback]

You weren't there, but, you are 100% sure that Santonio Holmes was being an a$$hat ? In this thread, it seems like you really don't like Mr. Holmes..... :D

Ohio State 35

Michigan State 24

02:37 OSU - Holmes, Santonio 51 yd pass from Smith, Troy (Huston, Josh kick)

4th 04:56 OSU - Holmes, Santonio 46 yd pass from Smith, Troy (Huston, Josh kick)

Receiving No. Yds TD Long

----------------------------------------

Holmes, Santonio 5 150 2 51

I'm defnitely conflicted about this one. It seemed apparent that Holmes is an idiot fuctard, if the initial reports were accurate about holding up traffic and talking back to a cop. After reading subsequent reports it seems possible that the cops were on a witchunt and this is much ado about nothing, character or criminal. After reading Menudo's last two posts I'm hoping the Steelers wasted a first round pick on an idiot fuctard. :D

You weren't there, but, you are 100% sure that Santonio Holmes was being an a$$hat ?  In this thread, it seems like you really don't like Mr. Holmes.....  :D

Ohio State  35

Michigan State    24

02:37 OSU - Holmes, Santonio 51 yd pass from Smith, Troy (Huston, Josh kick)

4th 04:56 OSU - Holmes, Santonio 46 yd pass from Smith, Troy (Huston, Josh kick)

Receiving            No.  Yds  TD Long

----------------------------------------

Holmes, Santonio        5  150    2  51

1492113[/snapback]

First of all I could care less about Holmes. I am sick and tired of it always being the cops fault and never the athlete's. Funny how itis ALWAYS the police's fault. No I was not there, and I cannot be sure what happened. IMHO, something happened and I believe that Santonio was his own enemy.

First of all I could care less about Holmes.  I am sick and tired of it always being the cops fault and never the athlete's.  Funny how itis ALWAYS the police's fault.  No I was not there, and I cannot be sure what happened.  IMHO, something happened and I believe that Santonio was his own enemy.

1492693[/snapback]

Just having some fun. You very well could be right.