[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Iron Head" Heyward passes

Hitman

KFFL

NFL | Heyward passes away

Sat, 27 May 2006 18:05:34 -0700

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports former NFL RB Craig Heyward died Saturday, May 27. He was 39. He had fought a 7 1/2 year battle with a brain tumor. KFFL sends their condolences to his family and friends.

and this from Wikipedia:

Craig Heyward was widely regarded as a nightmare for opposing defenses because he was often as big, and sometimes bigger, than the defenders who had to stop him, and had surprising quickness and agility. One of the NFL's best "big man" running backs in the vein of Earl Campbell, Heyward, at 5'-11" and reportedly between 250-280 pounds (the latter is arguably more accurate) was a punishing runner who was also a good blocker and receiver.

In the mid-1990's, Craig Heyward showcased his sense of humor in a series of well-received commercials pitching Zest body wash.

In November, 1998, Heyward complained of blurred vision in his right eye, and was diagnosed with a benign tumor at the base of his skull. After it was partially removed in a 12-hour operation, Heyward underwent 40 rounds of radiation treatments and was later pronounced cancer free. However, in 2005, Heyward suffered a recurrence of the tumor. Heyward passed away on May 27, 2006.

:D Many Saints and ATL fans remember this guy...rajn and I were just talking about some of the Saint's best players and teams over the years, and he was surely one of my favorites. His best season was in 1995 with ATL, when he rushed for 1083 yds. and 6 TDs. "Iron Head" will be remembered by many.

Edited by Hitman

Even though I'm a born and raised Washingtonian, "Iron Head" was who I modeled my playing style after, jersey # and everything. While his physical ways often led to injury, he was a man amongst boys when healthy, before linebackers became 260lb freaks of nature.

On a positive note:

Ironhead's son Cameron stars as a defensive tackle for Suwanee High in Peachtree, Georgia. He is set to graduate in the Class of 2007, and is reportedly being recruited by several high profile schools in the ACC and SEC as well as Ironhead's alma mater, the University of Pittsburgh.

Hope the kid makes it. :D

On a positive note:

Ironhead's son Cameron stars as a defensive tackle for Suwanee High in Peachtree, Georgia. He is set to graduate in the Class of 2007, and is reportedly being recruited by several high profile schools in the ACC and SEC as well as Ironhead's alma mater, the University of Pittsburgh. 

Hope the kid makes it.  :D

1489812[/snapback]

That would be pretty cool if he went to the University of Pittsburgh.

RIP

On a positive note:

Hope the kid makes it.  :D

1489812[/snapback]

Sad news, but to know his legacy lives on through his son is a great thing.

He played part of one season for the Colts because Marshall Faulk and the Colts o-line couldn't convert a third and one to save their lives. I remember when they put him in for short yardage play shortly after signing him, and he bowled over the linebacker to convert. The whole stadium was cheering like mad for a 1.5 yard gain. He was diagnosed with the tumor shortly thereafter, ending his career.

Iron head was from Passaic high school..He used to terrorize North Bergen which was the high school I went to(After he played ). North Bergen was one of the best teams in the country one year which was the only year out of all the time ironhead played at Passaic that they were able to beat him. Every other year was heartache because of him. He is a legend in these parts as far as high school RBs goes. Hudson county NJ is very sad to hear this news because although he would run all over our teams practically every year he was a joy to watch as a football fan..RIP Ironhead.

Edited by whomper