[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rick Spielman to the Vikings

Fantasy Jesus

Vikings | Spielman hired

Tue, 30 May 2006 12:16:49 -0700

Don Seeholzer, of the Pioneer Press, reports the Minnesota Vikings have hired Rick Spielman to replace Fran Foley as their vice president of player personnel. "We are extremely excited to hire Rick," owner Zygi Wilf said in a statement. "We are impressed with Rick's expertise, passion, character and work ethic." Spielman was to be introduced at a 4 p.m. press conference in the team's Winter Park Fieldhouse. Spielman, who joined ESPN Insider as an NFL analyst after a five-year stint with the Miami Dolphins, has been part of three divisional championships and six playoff teams.

Condolences to all Viking fans.

...things were looking up in MIN...

Sorry to hear about the new front office hire, guys.

1491889[/snapback]

Yes but us Packer fans are saying. :D:D:D:D

From another board-

With the Dolphins attempted trade of Eddie Moore to the Saints for linebacker Courtney Watson, which was rescinded when Moore failed his physical, I couldn't help but wonder if drafting Moore was the worst personnel move in the Dave Wannstedt and Rick Spielman era.

Wannstedt was heavily criticized for drafting Moore in 2003 rather than receivers Anquan Boldin or Tyrone Calico. (Moore's return to the Dolphins may be short-lived as the oft-injured linebacker could be released; Watson still may end up on the Dolphins.)

In 2004, Spielman traded a fourth-rounder to jump up a spot to take Vernon Carey, who hasn't lived up to the expectations of being a first-round pick. The Dolphins can be second-guessed for not staying put and selecting defensive tackle Vince Wilfork. Spielman believed they outmaneuvered New England and Dallas to acquire Carey by swinging a trade with Minnesota.

Then there was the selection of Jamar Fletcher in the first round of the 2001 draft (Yes, that was the year the Dolphins passed on Drew Brees).

The overspending of a second-round pick on A.J. Feeley and desperately using a third-round pick for running back Lamar Gordon also won't soon be forgotten.

Edited by Randall

Good luck with this guy. I've heard him talk a lot on Colin Cowherd's show and I think the dude's an idiot. He's very opinionated and seems pretty closeminded for a player personnel guy. He seems to think he's quite the legend in his own mind.

JMHO of couse.

Yes but us Packer fans are saying. :D  :D  :D  :D

From another board-

With the Dolphins attempted trade of Eddie Moore to the Saints for linebacker Courtney Watson, which was rescinded when Moore failed his physical, I couldn't help but wonder if drafting Moore was the worst personnel move in the Dave Wannstedt and Rick Spielman era.

Wannstedt was heavily criticized for drafting Moore in 2003 rather than receivers Anquan Boldin or Tyrone Calico. (Moore's return to the Dolphins may be short-lived as the oft-injured linebacker could be released; Watson still may end up on the Dolphins.)

In 2004, Spielman traded a fourth-rounder to jump up a spot to take Vernon Carey, who hasn't lived up to the expectations of being a first-round pick. The Dolphins can be second-guessed for not staying put and selecting defensive tackle Vince Wilfork. Spielman believed they outmaneuvered New England and Dallas to acquire Carey by swinging a trade with Minnesota.

Then there was the selection of Jamar Fletcher in the first round of the 2001 draft (Yes, that was the year the Dolphins passed on Drew Brees).

The overspending of a second-round pick on A.J. Feeley and desperately using a third-round pick for running back Lamar Gordon also won't soon be forgotten.

1491911[/snapback]

So it would seem like he's no worse than Denny Green in terms of judging talent. :D

(Yes Denny had his moments of clarity, but by and large.................they stunk.)

So it would seem like he's no worse than Denny Green in terms of judging talent.  :D

(Yes Denny had his moments of clarity, but by and large.................they stunk.)

1492064[/snapback]

I heard he fought for Boldin but Wannstedt wanted Moore. Dolphin fans are very down on him so I'll let them chime in.

speilman was playing GM on NFL Draft Sunday on ESPN.  It was wierd watching this guy go from GM to announcer.  He did seem very opionated

1492532[/snapback]

That's what analysts are hired to be!! :D

Studwell didn't want the job, otherwise they would have hired him. He liked where he was - and signed a new contract about a month ago. Spielman doesn't have full authority so it isn't a huge deal. Childress has more power than many people think.

Everything thats just been said, Foxsports summed up into a pretty nice few paragraphs for Spielman, I thought it was pretty funny:

"I'm not quite sure I would've hired Spielman to pick the lunch buffet, let alone the next crop of Vikings players.

What exactly attracted the Vikes to Spielman?

Was it the fact he traded a valued second-round pick for third-string quarterback AJ Feeley? This was a deal that was easily first guessed when it was made. Making the already horrendous transaction worse, Spielman pulled the trigger on it when everyone in the football world knew that veteran quarterbacks, like Kurt Warner, Kerry Collins and Jeff Garcia, were about to be available. And you wouldn't have to give up a pick! This is one of the worst deals in NFL history, and you knew it at the time.

Spielman also botched the Adewale Ogunleye negotiations and the ensuing trade to the Bears. Moreover, he drafted Eddie Moore over Anquan Boldin and traded a Day 1 draft pick for legendary Dolphins running back Lamar Gordon. Was it the way he traded way too much to acquire Vernon Carey in the 2004 draft? You would think the folks in Minnesota might remember that since it was the Vikings who fleeced Spielman when he traded up one slot.

And of course, Feeley would've never been needed if the Dolphins selected Drew Brees over Jamar Fletcher.

Again — these are all easy first guesses.

And yes, this is the same Spielman who was figuratively locked in a closet by Nick Saban during the combine/draft period when Saban took over in 2005.

Maybe Minnesota liked his smile on television.

It can't be they liked his football decisions."

The guy sounds like an idiot from everything i've read, though admittedly i've never seen him speak. A Dolphin fan at work says he's absolutely horrible. I read somewhere he goes way back with both Studwell and Brezinski so that probably played into the decision I guess.

Eddie Moore went to the Univ of Tennessee, so I watched his entire college career. He was a decent college player but nothing spectacular who was some sort of "cant miss" prospect. When he was selected by the Dolphins with their 1st pick(2nd rounder), I was shocked. Most people had Moore rated in the 5th round range. Taking him in the 2nd, may have been the worst 2nd round reach since Quincy Carter. That said, I have no idea who made the call on Moore for the Fins. I just remember my uncle, who is a long time Dolphins season ticket holder, screaming bloody murder when I informed him that Miami had really reached for Moore in that spot... :D