[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Theismann Slams Ricky

Flip_Side

Former NFL quarterback Joe Theismann, who began his professional career with the CFL's Toronto Argonauts, isn't as forgiving as his former team when it comes to Ricky Williams.

Theismann, an NFL analyst for ESPN, said he is "embarrassed right now to be a Toronto Argonaut" in an interview with ESPN Radio's Colin Cowherd.

"I don't ever want to be mentioned in the same breath as Ricky Williams as a football player," said Theismann. "He's a disgrace to the game. The man doesn't deserve to play football. He should go on with his life and treat his drug addictions or go do whatever he wants to do. He's been suspended from the National Football League on multiple occasions. Doesn't anybody have any class anywhere? For gosh sakes, let the kid go do what he wants to do. He doesn't want to play football."

Williams, who is serving a one-year suspension from the NFL for violating the league's substance-abuse program for the fourth time, signed a one-year contract Sunday to play for the Argonauts. Williams will return to the Dolphins after the season ends in November.

Theismann said Williams is a "good kid" but that the troubled running back has had too many chances.

"We have rules in the National Football League," Theismann said. "It's real simple. Don't do drugs and you can play. It's a privilege to be able to play professional football. It's not some rite of passage. He's insulted the Miami Dolphins after they took him back and gave him a chance to play. Now he insults the intelligence of everybody that thinks that doing drugs is OK. To me, it's the wrong message to send to kids. It's the wrong thing to be doing, and the Toronto Argonauts have embarrassed themselves as an organization signing him."

In Response to this interview Ricky Says:

Suspended Dolphins running back Ricky Williams isn't worried about Joe Theismann's latest harsh assessment of him. After all, Williams said today, he knows an apology will be forthcoming.

After his second day of practice in Canada today, Williams noted that Theismann has often been critical of him in the past, consistently bashing anyone who is willing to associate with the controversial star.

But Theismann reverses course when he sees Williams in person, the player said.

"Every time he says something, here's what happens: He says a remark about me that's offensive, then when he has to (broadcast) one of our (Dolphins) games, he comes in and apologizes and says, 'I'm sorry,'" Williams said.

Williams indicated that he would accept an apology from Theismann.

"I don't hold any hard feelings against him," Williams said. "I understand it's his job to say things. The thing about people, if you meet a positive person, you'll never have anything negative to say."

Personally, I like Ricky. Always have. I don't like the way he's handled his Josh Gordon but everybody has to do their own thing.

If he should be allowed to do whatever he wants to do, wouldn't that include playing in the CFL?

Theisman is a tool. Always has been, always will be.

Personally, I think there's a conspiracy in place between ESPN and Sirius. ESPN picked the most obnoxious broadcasting team they could find for the Monday night games so that fans would be forced to put the mute button on and subscribe to Sirius for the local play by play.

ESPN gets their ratings, Sirius gets their subscribers, and everyone's happy.

Theisman is a tool.  Always has been, always will be.

Personally, I think there's a conspiracy in place between ESPN and Sirius.   ESPN picked the most obnoxious broadcasting team they could find for the Monday night games so that fans would be forced to put the mute button on and subscribe to Sirius for the local play by play.

ESPN gets their ratings, Sirius gets their subscribers, and everyone's happy.

1492414[/snapback]

:D:D

Edited by Hitman

Personally, I like Ricky.  Always have.  I don't like the way he's handled his Josh Gordon but everybody has to do their own thing. 

If he should be allowed to do whatever he wants to do, wouldn't that include playing in the CFL?

1492396[/snapback]

F Theisman he's an idiot.

First off, I can't stand Theisman, but, he does make one good point. The rules of the NFL are not to do drugs. Ricky Williams should have followed the rules. He chose his love of smoking Josh Gordon over playing in the NFL, which is sad. Such wasted talent, what a shame.

First off, I can't stand Theisman, but, he does make one good point.  The rules of the NFL are not to do drugs.  Ricky Williams should have followed the rules.  He chose his love of smoking Josh Gordon over playing in the NFL, which is sad.  Such wasted talent, what a shame.

1492706[/snapback]

Exactly! Ricky's a loser. I don't blame Theisman for his comments. Theis may be an egotistical ass, but I don't blame him for saying it.

IMO it is the CFL that ends up looking more foolish than anybody else here. Ricky and Onterrio have enough problems to keep them from playing in the NFL, but the CFL has apparently zero standards to keep from trying to cash in on them. Thiesman should be ashamed of ever being associated with the CFL in general, not with Ricky Williams.

I don't like either too much. Smoking a little herb is fine with me, but knocking chicks up and running away isn't, neither is abandoning your teammeates when they need you only to come back for the money. Theisman is a jerk-off himself too.

I think Theisman just likes to hear his own voice. Besides that, he gets his name mentioned on national TV, further inflating his own ego.

Theismann-Ricky is denigrating my years in the CFL. :D Give me a break. Ricky screwed up and by every report that matters-his own teammates he is playing and working hard to play.

Theismann :D

IMO it is the CFL that ends up looking more foolish than anybody else here.  Ricky and Onterrio have enough problems to keep them from playing in the NFL, but the CFL has apparently zero standards to keep from trying to cash in on them.  Thiesman should be ashamed of ever being associated with the CFL in general, not with Ricky Williams.

1493053[/snapback]

It's not necessarily a CFL vs NFL issue. It's more of a Canadian vs American ideology issue. The reason the CFL does not test for drugs, is because we aren't 'against' smoking dope. We don't have ANY form of drug testing in any of our workplaces, never will. How can we test these players (or other regular employees) for a substance that isn't even ILLEGAL in our country?

Before you make a statement like the one above, maybe ask the question first. why doesn't the CFL test for Josh Gordon? Rather than, making an idiotic and ignorant statement. You sound like Joe Theisman.

It's not necessarily a CFL vs NFL issue. It's more of a Canadian vs American ideology issue. The reason the CFL does not test for drugs, is because we aren't 'against' smoking dope. We don't have ANY form of drug testing in any of our workplaces, never will. How can we test these players (or other regular employees) for a substance that isn't even ILLEGAL in our country?

Before you make a statement like the one above, maybe ask the question first. why doesn't the CFL test for Josh Gordon? Rather than, making an idiotic and ignorant statement. You sound like Joe Theisman.

1493798[/snapback]

Dude has a point...

First off, I can't stand Theisman, but, he does make one good point.  The rules of the NFL are not to do drugs.  Ricky Williams should have followed the rules.  He chose his love of smoking Josh Gordon over playing in the NFL, which is sad.  Such wasted talent, what a shame.

1492706[/snapback]

I know what you're saying but it's his talent to waste and I would imagine he is happier than ever. I think he's even said that.

He knew the rules and has accepted his punishment.

I am waiting for Theisman to say Joe Namath is an embarresment to the league when he showed up drunk and horny. But he won't because alchohol is legal and he is in the Superbowl QB frat.

It is sad if you apply the everyman (ours) desire to play NFL football which we never could and never will. But it isn't right to apply it to Ricky, he appears to be conducting his life as he wants (albeit weird) and not hurtting anyone.

1493798[/snapback]

I stand by my statement 100% dillweed. It's not ignorant not idiotic to say that the CFL apparently has no standards in this regard. Just because the rest of your stupid F'n country also has no standards does not nullify the observation. before you make a presumption about what someone else is saying, why don't you enter into a civilized discussion before you make yourself look like an ass. Or maybe that's just unavoidable in your case.

How can we test these players (or other regular employees) for a substance that isn't even ILLEGAL in our country?

1493798[/snapback]

I'm Canadian. Josh Gordon IS illegal.

Regardless. Screw Theisman. And why shouldn't the CFL take Ricky? This is basically a semi-pro league. If they can get a name like Ricky Williams for cheap it'd be stupid not to. As far as I'm concerned, they can all start smoking and head north. Its only Josh Gordon. If its good enough for the NBA, its good enough for us.