[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bengal's draft pick arrested

Bengal Mania

go to Bengals.com for full story

5th Rnd pick AJ Nicholson was arrested for burglary for an incident AFTER he was drafted by the Bengals

Marvin was criticized for drafting AJ Nicholson (and others w/ questionable character issues), and many questioned whether he gave only lip service to the "character counts" theme he has tried to portray since Chris Henry's arrests.

All is fair criticism, IMO.

We probably all have to admit it (character) is a tough thing to judge (maybe not for this kid, but as an issue in general). There ARE many cases of questionable people ending up being very good ambassadors for the game.

But I can't decide if Marvin truly doesn't put all that much weight on these matters (a mistake IMO), thinking they're paid to play football not be role models, OR if he thinks he can control/turn these suddenly rich low-lifes into model citizens. I don't like the first option, but at least if he's got delusions of grandeur (Opt 2), he may recognize that isn't a good way to go, and he can improve.

I think Marvin is great for Cincinnati, I think he's a great coach, a great motivator, etc. I just think he'd be better sending a VERY LOUD and VERY CLEAR message to all on his team (including himself!) when it comes to this chit. That's what Paul Brown would've done. I hope Marvin takes a page from the old man.

As far an Nicholson, he's not signed, they don't owe him anything. I hope they just drop him and donate their 5th pick for a lesson learned. I can't imagine he'd have any NFL issues since he's not under contract. If he would for some reason, I hope they offer the kid a $100 contract and use him during camp like a cheap wh.ore.

There are no 5th round busts, but I did wonder about him stressing character pre-draft and then taking him. 2 years in a row, and two knuckleheads. At least this one isn't signed. We don't need another LB anyway.

He was so excited he was drafted by the Bengals he broke into homes to celebrrate.

"Cincinnati Bengals linebacker A.J. Nicholson and former wide receiver Fred Rouse, who was dismissed by coach Bobby Bowden at the end of last season for detrimental conduct, are charged with burglarizing the Tallahassee home of current Florida State running back Lorenzo Booker on May 20 or 21.

Rouse confessed his involvement to authorities on May 28, according to police. Rouse was arrested and charged with three felonies: burglary of a dwelling, grand theft and unrelated possessions of a controlled substance without a prescription, which was ecstasy. Rouse has been released on bond.

A warrant is out for the arrest of Nicholson, who faces felony charges of burglary of a dwelling and grand theft and criminal mischief, which is a misdemeanor.

"Obviously, Lorenzo's not really happy that his former teammates, Rouse and Nicholson, did this," Tallahassee Police Public Information Officer John Newland said. "This incident occurred May 20 and A.J. was drafted in April. You knew you were leaving. Why would you put yourself through this? It's just really unfortunate."

A police source said that among the items investigators found at Booker's home was a wide receivers glove with "1," Rouse's former jersey number, stitched into the inside of it. The glove had been left under a color television that had been thrown onto the floor.

Entrance to the home, police said, was made by breaking a rear window. In gaining entry, the suspects appeared to cut themselves as they left blood there and on one of Bookers' roommate's sheets. Police later found drops of blood at the exterior of the home of Nicholson's girlfriend.

In a sworn, taped interview on May 28, Rouse said Nicholson entered the home and carried out two portable stereos, a DVD player and a pair of headphones. Rouse also said Nicholson had sustained a substantial cut on a finger.

Nicholson, who was accused of a sexual assault in Miami and sent home from the Orange Bowl, was selected by the Bengals in the fifth round. Nicholson, who has pleaded no contest to a DUI arrest and had another incident with Tallahassee police that led to dropped charges of resisting arrest, has not been charged in the sexual assault case.

Rouse, one of the nation's top freshman prospects last season, and a native of Tallahassee, had only six catches for 114 yards and one touchdown. Rouse also returned 11 punts for 97 yards and six kickoffs for 107 yards."

Edited by Randall