[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

49ers May take shot with Ahmad Brooks

49ers | Team may take a shot with A. Brooks

Wed, 31 May 2006 05:59:04 -0700

Matthew Barrows, of the Sacramento Bee, reports the San Francisco 49ers will consider making a bid for former Virginia LB Ahmad Brooks in the July 13 supplemental draft, personnel director Scot McCloughan said Tuesday, May 30. Brooks will hold a workout for pro scouts at the Virginia campus June 22 and is preparing for the event at Competitive Edge Sports, an Atlanta-based outfit run by Chip Smith. Smith said Brooks now weighs 268 pounds, five or so more than his playing weight at Virginia. He also has begun to shed the maturity issues that plagued him at Virginia. Smith said Brooks has recovered from the injuries that cut short his 2005 season and estimates he will run the 40-yard dash in the 4.5-second range.

how high could the bidding get on this guy?  could he actually go as high as a first rounder given up next year?

1497738[/snapback]

I can't imagine anyone would offer a 1st-rounder. My guess is that a few teams will offer a 3rd, but somebody might offer a 2nd and win him.

Still, supplemental drafting is really unpredictable. I was surprised when the Texans used a 2nd on Tony Hollings and I was even more surprised to see Manuel Wright won by the Dolphins with a 5th-rounder. :D