[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Interboard League

DocNiner52

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was Usual Suspects and served as thehuddle commish last year. I think some of the criticisms cited on this string regarding thehuddle's 2005 performance are valid. We had a lot of new owners last year (new to the IBL), and we (okay, I) probably didn't do enough to help the new guys understand how complex the league really is. On the other hand, I think it's valid to say that our owners had some unusually bad luck with injuries last season. Thehuddle has done well in this league in the past (we won the very first IBL championship), and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if we finished on top again in 2006.

As Tim (Buffalo Wings) mentioned, I'm stepping down this year, both as thehuddle commish and an owner, but here are a few parting thoughts:

1) I agree with StormChasers that MikesVikes would be a solid choice as the new commish. Mike has been in the league for a long time (from the beginning I think?) and understands how it all works. If anyone can give good advice to the other owners on strategy, it's Mike--and Tim of course. (Mike, I love ya, man, but one little piece of advice--to be a good commish, a little less surliness and a dash more tact would serve you well. :D)

2) I agree generally that we as a league didn't do enough strategizing together before the draft. In fairness, I took on a lot of work setting up and running the draft sites and the main league site, and it took so much time doing all that and eventually helping to run the drafts and keeping on top of all Da Bomb controversies (sigh) that it was all I could do to take care of my own team. </excusesoff>

3) Trading is huge in this league. It's not so much the volume of trades that makes the difference, but understanding good value and keeping on top of who has been taken where in each of the five drafts. That's vital. For those who don't realize it, there are five separate 12-team IBL drafts, staggered by various starting dates, and any owner in one draft can trade with any owner in another draft at any time. It's mind-boggling, hard work to keep track of it all (especially for the commissioners!), but watching every draft and how all 60 rosters are developing is key to succeeding in this league.

4) Keeping on top of the waiver wire is absolutely crucial. I was forced to make a ton of moves last year because I got hit hard by injuries early and had to constantly review who was coming available on waivers. I survived and actually finished 2nd in the overall individual standings because I was able to jump on a few guys who came on-line just as they got hot (which is part luck I admit). By scrambling with the waiver wire, I managed to survive a draft that included Culpepper, Julius Jones, Roy Williams and Isaac Bruce as my 2-3-4-5 picks. So there are ways to succeed in this league in spite of bad luck if you're willing to work at it.

5) Study the rules. Study them well. Talk to the IBL vets like Mike and Tim and get their help. If you don't, you'll likely blunder your way through the draft and the first quarter of the season, and by the time you come on line and figure out what you've done wrong and what you could have been doing all along to help yourself, it will be too late, and you'll be struggling the rest of the season just to get to .500.

Most of the above is just standard strategy that you've all heard a hundred times. Don't mean to bore you or insult anyone's intelligence by citing it here. But the reason it's standard strategy is because it's sound.

Final parting thought: the IBL is THE MOST COMPLEX AND CHALLENGING LEAGUE I HAVE EVER PLAYED IN. And I've played in a lot. It's not for novices. Only hard core players are likely to succeed. Don't volunteer if you're not willing to spend some time learning the game and are dedicated to succeed.

Good luck to thehuddle owners in '06.

BT

To be completely honest, I was thinking more about getting out of this league than becoming the commish when I first read someone questioning the Huddle spirit in this league. When I replied to Perch's post, I wasn't implying that he was an inactive owner last year. I pm'ed him and told him so. He did do a good job with his team last year. I fully expect him to have a solid team in this league each year minus the rough luck he had with injuries this past season.

Maybe it did show in some of my posts here, but this has been a rough month or two for me. Our family has been staying with my in-laws during that time as they are both bouncing in and out of hospital stays with strokes and other things. Today is the first day since early May that we have moved back into our own house on a full time basis. Hopefully this will lead to a better mood Mike.

When August rolls around, I know that I'll be ready to roll just like I have been every year since the first one. I give alot of credit to Big talker and Buffalo Wings for the work that they've done in this league. I know for a fact that this league would've fallen apart if it weren't for Tim and his "non-surliness" ways. :D

I'll consider being the commish for this year. When August is here, I know that I'll be primed for this league just like I have been since day one.

Edited by MikesVikes

Mike - I hope all is well on the home front. Thanks for the kind words. We'd love to have you has the board commish for the league. I think you'd be a great candidate. I also think that Zach will take over as head commish of the league and we won't miss a beat. Being the head commish of this entire league was a daunting task at times, but with the help of the rest of the board commishes, it was definitely managable. I don't think I could have managed it without the help of Joe, Dave, Zach and Duk in particular. They definely helped to mantain my sanity at times. Overall it really isn't that much work for any one particular person, as long as the entire commish structure chips in with their fair share.

Anyway, now that I've gotten to rambling and most have stopped reading, Mike, you've been an awesome owner and I hope you consider taking over for Joe.

Tim

Buffalo Wings

Any chance of inviting David Dorey, Walt Whitney or another Huddle staff member to participate in the IBL? I know they're all pretty busy but it may provide a boost for the Huddle team. If they can't be involved as a member of the team maybe they could provide some time with the Huddle team to discuss draft strategy, player values, trade strategy or any other areas of the IBL contest that would help get the Huddle back on top. I've been around on the other sites except for Fantasy Sports Wire and from my observations the Huddle members are just as good or as I feel, better fantasy players than some on the other IBL teams. I know there's a lot of trading that goes on in the IBL, which I'm sure help teams, but I think if the Huddle team focuses as a group as well as individuals the outcome will show. I know that can be a hard thing to accomplish since a lot here focus on their money leagues, which I for one am focusing on, and there is no real reward in the IBL other than bragging rights. It's a pretty big committment considering how difficult the IBL can be. The Huddle is the only site I'm a paid member of and I'd like to see them back on top for all the things they've given to help make me a better fantasy player.

Mikes Vikes would be a great choice to head up the IBL team.

One thing I know I look at in compiling the FSW team is, believe it or not, friendship. I'm in active contact with the people on my team year-round, and compete in year-round leagues with members of the team. So I know what kind of grinders I'm going to war with. And believe me, this league is all about being able to grind, from pick 1.01 of Draft A, to the last waiver wire of the year. Because if you do, as has been noted, slack on keeping dead weight on your team, or are not grinding or networking to keep improving your team through the year, you're probably going to get steam-rolled. And it can get really, really ugly in a hurry.

Bottom-line, this league is all about Networking. The bigger and wider your network, the more lines of opportunity you have.

And I could never see DD or WW or Joe Bryant or Mike Krueger putting their balls on the block and competing in a league like this. They would be exposing themselves way too much. They compete in their "expert leagues" where they can't be touched.

Edited by dukdown

Mikes Vikes would be a great choice to head up the IBL team.

One thing I know I look at in compiling the FSW team is, believe it or not, friendship. I'm in active contact with the people on my team year-round, and compete in year-round leagues with members of the team. So I know what kind of grinders I'm going to war with. And believe me, this league is all about being able to grind, from pick 1.01 of Draft A, to the last waiver wire of the year. Because if you do, as has been noted, slack on keeping dead weight on your team, or are not grinding or networking to keep improving your team through the year, you're probably going to get steam-rolled. And it can get really, really ugly in a hurry.

Bottom-line, this league is all about Networking. The bigger and wider your network, the more lines of opportunity you have.

And I could never see DD or WW or Joe Bryant or Mike Krueger putting their balls on the block and competing in a league like this. They would be exposing themselves way too much. They compete in their "expert leagues" where they can't be touched.

FBG do have several "writers" on their team. Some have above .500 records, some don't. I'm sure that DD, WW, Joe, or Mike Krueger wouldn't be over their heads in a league like this. I don't expect any of them to sign up or even approve of the league at all. :D

Thanks Duk, Do those kind words need to stay in Vegas?

Any chance of inviting David Dorey, Walt Whitney or another Huddle staff member to participate in the IBL? I know they're all pretty busy but it may provide a boost for the Huddle team. If they can't be involved as a member of the team maybe they could provide some time with the Huddle team to discuss draft strategy, player values, trade strategy or any other areas of the IBL contest that would help get the Huddle back on top. I've been around on the other sites except for Fantasy Sports Wire and from my observations the Huddle members are just as good or as I feel, better fantasy players than some on the other IBL teams. I know there's a lot of trading that goes on in the IBL, which I'm sure help teams, but I think if the Huddle team focuses as a group as well as individuals the outcome will show. I know that can be a hard thing to accomplish since a lot here focus on their money leagues, which I for one am focusing on, and there is no real reward in the IBL other than bragging rights. It's a pretty big committment considering how difficult the IBL can be. The Huddle is the only site I'm a paid member of and I'd like to see them back on top for all the things they've given to help make me a better fantasy player.

I was a Huddle staff rookie and IBL rookie last season. As I've stated several times in this thread, I think I was a bit unaware of the sheer complexities of the league when I offered up to join The Huddle's squad. I won't make any excuses, as I thought I had a pretty solid draft, but injuries didn't help. :D

Hey - we need to determine who is going to be the board commish for theHuddle.

Is it going to be MikesVikes, REZ or NoGoHawk?

I'm willing to be the assistant commish and assist with whatever you need me to assist with, however for the most part I really just want to take the low key role of being an active owner.

We need to get this thing rolling so that whoever the commish is going to be can get in contact with Zach and get things ironed out with the up coming season and start figuring out who is staying and who is going and replacing those that are going with new active and iterested owners.

So get off your asses, and lets get this show on the road. :D

We should get a password protected forum here for the IBL league, that way we can openly discuss strategy with each other, and keep people informed of things that might have an impact on their teams.

My spot is up for grabs. I'm sticking to my 2 local leagues and NVN.

Mine too. I had trouble understanding the draft pick trading as well,

and didn't like the idea of playing 5 teams in a weekend or something like that.

Is there a forum for this league?

We should get a password protected forum here for the IBL league, that way we can openly discuss strategy with each other, and keep people informed of things that might have an impact on their teams.

Excellent idea

I recall we weren't allowed to have one, for some reason. :D

I don't see a reason why we can't have one just for the Huddle guys. We weren't allowed to host the main league-wide message board here.

Ah, maybe that was it. But I coulda sworn we had asked for a forum - for just us - and we were denied. :D But YES, if we CAN have one, it would be incredibly useful.

I recall we weren't allowed to have one, for some reason. :D

We had one that didn't refer to the league at IBL in any way shape or form at one time. I'll look into it. I can see advantages of having this offsite if not password protected.

Edited by MikesVikes

We had one that didn't refer to the league at IBL in any way shape or form at one time. I'll look into it. I can see advantages of having this offsite if not password protected.

I seem to remember REZ setting something up 2 years ago. Never could find the thing, so never really used it. It would be better to have a password protected forum here.

I think it was actually Cap'n Grunge who set it up for us.

I was the Commish when he did it.

Problem was, nobody visited the site much.

And I'd be shocked if Voltaire responded. He doesn't come here much, if at all.

He was hanging out at FFToday mostly.