[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steven Jackson

flynn_1972

These are my thoughts on Steven Jackson, as I origionally posted on another board.

Steven Jackson

I like what I'm hearing coming out of St. Louis.

Linehan has said that protecting the QB is going to be a priority, which of course leads to more emphasis on the O'line blocking which will only help the running game. Hopefully with a year under his belt, last years 1st round draft pick, Alex Barron, picks up his play a notch. Orlando Pace while now getting a little long in the tooth is still one of the best. Claude Terrell ain't bad at all and while he is good at pass blocking he is a natural at run blocking. Timmerman is a tough, smart, steady player and an excellent technician, which one would expect after playing for 12 years in the NFL. That however is a problem with Timmerman, the 12 years have taken a toll on his body. Andy McCollum is another solid veteran presence with some versatility. He is the Rams starting Center but has played both Guard spots in times of need and preformed admirably at that position.

What's not to like about the Rams WR's? Add Klopfenstein as a legitimate pass catching TE and you know opposing teams won't be able to stack the line of scrimmage unless Ryan Fitzsucks ends up QB'ing again. That however, is unlikely to happen. Frerotte followed Linehan to St. Louis and is next in line if Bulger goes down. The chances of a teams #1 & #2 QB going down two consectuttive years in a row, is highly unlikely (knock on wood).

What about the man himself, Steven Jackson?

Getting only 254 carries last year, in the pass happy Martz offense, and having the disadvantage of trying to run with Martin & even worse, Ryan Fitzsucks at QB, Jackson still managed to post a respectable 4.1 ypc avg. His hands aren't too shabby either. Very solid natural pass catcher. Jackson doesn't fight the ball into his body. Instead he can use those soft hands of his, to pluck the pass out of the air. Excellent run after the catch ability.

I think Linehan recognizes that Jackson is the kind of back who gets better as the game goes along. Linehan will make better use of his 231 lb RB than Martz did. I easily see Jackson getting 46 more carries than last year (that's slightly more than 2 per game) and honestly expect about Linehan to feed Jackson about 70 more times then last year. We also know Jackson is a bull at the Goal Line. Even if he's having a terrible day rushing the ball elsewhere on the field, feed him the ball at the Goal Line and he has a nose for the end zone.

324 carries at 4.3 yards per carry = 1,393 yards with 10 TD's

45 receptions at 7.5 yards per catch = 337 yards with 3 TD's

Combined yardage & TD's = 1,730 yards with 13 TD's

These are my thoughts on Steven Jackson, as I origionally posted on another board.

Steven Jackson

I like what I'm hearing coming out of St. Louis.

Linehan has said that protecting the QB is going to be a priority, which of course leads to more emphasis on the O'line blocking which will only help the running game. Hopefully with a year under his belt, last years 1st round draft pick, Alex Barron, picks up his play a notch. Orlando Pace while now getting a little long in the tooth is still one of the best. Claude Terrell ain't bad at all and while he is good at pass blocking he is a natural at run blocking. Timmerman is a tough, smart, steady player and an excellent technician, which one would expect after playing for 12 years in the NFL. That however is a problem with Timmerman, the 12 years have taken a toll on his body. Andy McCollum is another solid veteran presence with some versatility. He is the Rams starting Center but has played both Guard spots in times of need and preformed admirably at that position.

What's not to like about the Rams WR's? Add Klopfenstein as a legitimate pass catching TE and you know opposing teams won't be able to stack the line of scrimmage unless Ryan Fitzsucks ends up QB'ing again. That however, is unlikely to happen. Frerotte followed Linehan to St. Louis and is next in line if Bulger goes down. The chances of a teams #1 & #2 QB going down two consectuttive years in a row, is highly unlikely (knock on wood).

What about the man himself, Steven Jackson?

Getting only 254 carries last year, in the pass happy Martz offense, and having the disadvantage of trying to run with Martin & even worse, Ryan Fitzsucks at QB, Jackson still managed to post a respectable 4.1 ypc avg. His hands aren't too shabby either. Very solid natural pass catcher. Jackson doesn't fight the ball into his body. Instead he can use those soft hands of his, to pluck the pass out of the air. Excellent run after the catch ability.

I think Linehan recognizes that Jackson is the kind of back who gets better as the game goes along. Linehan will make better use of his 231 lb RB than Martz did. I easily see Jackson getting 46 more carries than last year (that's slightly more than 2 per game) and honestly expect about Linehan to feed Jackson about 70 more times then last year. We also know Jackson is a bull at the Goal Line. Even if he's having a terrible day rushing the ball elsewhere on the field, feed him the ball at the Goal Line and he has a nose for the end zone.

324 carries at 4.3 yards per carry = 1,393 yards with 10 TD's

45 receptions at 7.5 yards per catch = 337 yards with 3 TD's

Combined yardage & TD's = 1,730 yards with 13 TD's

1498709[/snapback]

Good stuff. Hope you are right.

I had Jackson on my squad last year and he scares me. The guy is a monster once he gets rolling, but it takes him way too long to hit the hole. He's fast once he gets in the open field, but he seems to lack the quickness necessary in order to make the cuts to get there.

I watched at least part of every Rams game last season and he was dropped for a loss in the backfield more times than just about any other back I followed. I'd like to see the guy succeed, but I think he's going to need a LOT of help from his offensive line in order to realize his potential...more help than the average starting NFL back needs.

Statement on Marshall Faulk's Mini-Camp Status

June 8, 2006, 5:00 PM CT

Marshall Faulk’s representative has informed the Rams that Marshall is unable to practice and will not take part in this weekend’s mini-camp.

Faulk had arthroscopic surgery on both knees in February. He has been undergoing rehabilitation in California and his condition is being evaluated.

Rams coach Scott Linehan will be available to the media following Friday’s afternoon practice.

www.stlouisrams.com

At least we know Faulk won't be much of a threat to Jackson's carries.

...or perhaps even more importantly, his receptions. As you mentioned, Jackson is a very good receiver out of the backfield. He put up some nice stats last year when he remained in the game during passing downs and the hurry-up offense.

Good point.

As far as RB receptions last year, it was split just about 50 / 50 between Faulk (44) & Jackson (43).

With Faulk out of the picture it points to an increase in receptions for Jackson even with Fisher added (he's no Faulk).

Jackson is another of those upright runners who scare me because of the injuries that guys like that get.

I actually forgot about that...

and I've seen him leave a few games because of his shoulder or sternum last year....

those are the stats you don't see.....how many left games...I recall Ahman Green doing a bit of that when his wheels were starting to fall off...

interesting thought.....when I think upright runners, I think Chris Brown..

Actually, Jackson's injuries last year were a bruised sternum, where he missed no time except a series or two & a minor hip pointer week 15, where he stayed in that game but played sparingly after the injury.

Jackson was made inactive for week 16 because of the hip pointer, but the season was already down the tubes and the Rams felt it wiser to just let him sit that one out.

I think his rookie year, he banged his knee against the 49er's and missed the next couple of games with some swelling, but that, the sternum & hip pointer are about it, as far as game impacting injuries to Jackson. :D

No doubt you can pull up an injury report on him and find a ton of little dings, but that's the same for every NFL RB.

I wouldn't sweat injuries to Jackson that much more than other RB's...

...and a lot less than some (Fragile Fred...you know who you are).

Yeah, for Brown owners of the past he will never be forgotten. I remember 2 years ago he would get between 70-100 yards in the 1st half and then not return. he made want to do this -----> :D

exactly...I owned him and luckily I managed to package him and Andre Johnson for LT2

I already had Walker, Harrison and some other stud I fenagled through trades at WR because I was stacked at RB...

Actually, Jackson's injuries last year were a bruised sternum, where he missed no time except a series or two & a minor hip pointer week 15, where he stayed in that game but played sparingly after the injury.

Jackson was made inactive for week 16 because of the hip pointer, but the season was already down the tubes and the Rams felt it wiser to just let him sit that one out.

I think his rookie year, he banged his knee against the 49er's and missed the next couple of games with some swelling, but that, the sternum & hip pointer are about it, as far as game impacting injuries to Jackson. :D

No doubt you can pull up an injury report on him and find a ton of little dings, but that's the same for every NFL RB.

I wouldn't sweat injuries to Jackson that much more than other RB's...

...and a lot less than some (Fragile Fred...you know who you are).

but I am still leery of upright runners....always have been....

I didn't really like him that much last year and was thankful I skipped him and took LJ2....

somehow I have been drinking the SJax koolaid for no apparent reason...