[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trying a new marinade on chicken tonight

Big Country

SO.. last night getting dinenr prepared, have some boneless, skinless chicken breasts out and trying to figure out what ot do with them. I feel like doing something with an Asian theme, but don't want to do the bottled Terriyaki marinade again.. though that and then grilling them makes for some darn tasty chicken.

So, I go throug hthe fridge and spice drawer and come up with this.

Chopped up a lot of garlic.. a good 7 to 8 cloves, and half of a large onion.

Mixed with about 1 cup of soy saiuce and about a cup to cup and a half of balsamic

Some black pepper and some Szechuan pepper blend.

Whick that all together and dunked my chicken in.

So, after that was done for an hour, I go fire up my grill (gas grill), and let it warm up. Come back about 15 minutes later and no flames.... DOH... out of gas and I gave my backup tank to my mother-in-law for a BBQ last weekend. SO... we decide to let the cicken marinate overnight in this concoction and I will grill it up tonight.

On that note.... as my wife does not like very spicy food, any thoughts/reccomendations on some other Asian themed chicken rubs/marinades.

I've made a mrainade similar to the above for beef, though it used less balsamic and had red wine instead and some dijon mustard and honey. Now that comes out great on a london broil.

I use Zesty Italian dressing as my marinade for Chicken each time, then sprinkle a McCormick Chicken rub and then crushed garlic, and place it in the Fridge for half an hour. Then Grill on high heat for 3-4 mins each side to get the color and texture you want on the outside, then place the chicken in aluminum fool and turn down the grill to medium heat for about 10 more minutes, to ensure the middle is done. Its perfect every time.

Aluminum fool is a must. I dont grill anything anymore with out.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

My wife is a big fan of the italian dressing as marinade. I like it, but, have had it quite a bit that I am looking for something new.

Good call on the aluminum.... I use that when grilling larger pieces of meat, like whole tritips, etc. Sear them to lock in the juices, then wrap them and slow roast em on the grill.. delicious

BC.... we must have been sending smoke signals up & down the west coast last night 'cause we too tried a new marinade for chicken last night. :D

I gotta tell ya people... this was one of Mrs. frazia best finds yet..... it was freak'in outstanding.

Sweet & Sour BBQ chicken

3 garlic cloves - pressed of course

2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar

juice from 1/2 lime

juice from 1/2 lemon

1/3 cup light brown sugar

2 tablespoons dijon mustard

1/3 cup honey

1 teaspoon salt

1/3 teaspoon black pepper

4 tablespoons olive oil

whisk everything together except the olive oil...... then add that last for some reason. :D Once the sauce is done.... split it in 1/2...... 1/2 for basting - 1/2 for dipping. soak the breasts in the basting portion while you fire up the coals..... or if you use gas, drink a few brewskies before you start. :D:D

do your chicken breasts as normal...... then glaze them for the last few minutes before bringing them in.

i gotta tell 'ya...... is was as good of marinade as we've had in quite a while.

So, after that was done for an hour, I go fire up my grill (gas grill), and let it warm up. Come back about 15 minutes later and no flames.... DOH... out of gas and I gave my backup tank to my mother-in-law for a BBQ last weekend.

The BGE never runs out of propane.

BC.... we must have been sending smoke signals up & down the west coast last night 'cause we too tried a new marinade for chicken last night. :D

I gotta tell ya people... this was one of Mrs. frazia best finds yet..... it was freak'in outstanding.

Sweet & Sour BBQ chicken

juice from 1/2 lime

juice from 1/2 lemon

1/3 cup honey

1 teaspoon salt

4 tablespoons olive oil

whisk everything together except the olive oil...... then add that last for some reason. :D Once the sauce is done.... split it in 1/2...... 1/2 for basting - 1/2 for dipping. soak the breasts in the basting portion while you fire up the coals..... or if you use gas, drink a few brewskies before you start. :D:D

do your chicken breasts as normal...... then glaze them for the last few minutes before bringing them in.

i gotta tell 'ya...... is was as good of marinade as we've had in quite a while.

:D .....THIS IS THE BEST CHICKEN MARINADE I'VE EVER HAD.... :D

whisk everything together except the olive oil...... then add that last for some reason. :D

i imagine this is to create an emulsion, which will have different chemical properties than a "broken" dressing or marinade. the components will adhear to each other better (and the food differently). you may have noticed that many of the marinades i give are emulsions.

i imagine this is to create an emulsion, which will have different chemical properties than a "broken" dressing or marinade. the components will adhear to each other better (and the food differently). you may have noticed that many of the marinades i give are emulsions.

well bier... try this recipe & let me know what 'ya think. Maybe you could even add something to it that would make it even better. :D:D

i gotta tell 'ya..... it's pretty f'n good.

well bier... try this recipe & let me know what 'ya think. Maybe you could even add something to it that would make it even better. :D:D

i gotta tell 'ya..... it's pretty f'n good.

fraz, this looks great as is. some people have been a touch defensive when i have offered suggestions to enhance a recipe, so lately i have been holding a little back. imo the bottom line is that different people have different taste buds, and hence, will have a different impact on what they like.

i will give it a shot as stated above next time i bbq... and per your request will offer some ideas (if even needed). :D

telling you how to cook is like giving advice to UT on how to be annoying. :D Anything you would suggest my friend, would not garner a defensive reaction. :D

Agreed.. I'm always open to suggestions.

Bier, off topic, but, do you know any good sources that would give some good advice on what sort of herbs and spices go together well, etc. for various types of meats.

I'm always hesitant to use those I am not familiar with, but would love to open up my spice rack a bit more.

Bier, off topic, but, do you know any good sources that would give some good advice on what sort of herbs and spices go together well, etc. for various types of meats.

Great question. Trial and error has been my method but I'd love to see a list.

Agreed.. I'm always open to suggestions.

I'm always hesitant to use those I am not familiar with, but would love to open up my spice rack a bit more.

funny..... as i think about it, i don't think i have seen an actually resource like this. i will look around. if i find one (after i buy one) i'll let you what i come up with.

funny..... as i think about it, i don't think i have seen an actually resource like this. i will look around. if i find one (after i buy one) i'll let you what i come up with.

Your personal experience is fine by me as well as a resource.. maybe if I make a list of the seldom or never used spices you could give some suggestions

lemon/dill

lemon/tarragon

orange/corriander

lime/cilantro

oregano/basil

sage/thyme/rosemary

lemon/capers

blue cheese/figs

truffle oil/parmagean

soy/citrus

ginger/garlic/curry

tomato/basil

squash/apple

just brainstorming some good combos.... will list more when i get back later

• 1 year later...
BC.... we must have been sending smoke signals up & down the west coast last night 'cause we too tried a new marinade for chicken last night. :wacko:

Sweet & Sour BBQ chicken

juice from 1/2 lime

juice from 1/2 lemon

1/3 cup honey

1 teaspoon salt

4 tablespoons olive oil

gave this one a shot.... very good!