[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chicken this weekend

Big Country

So.. going ot a friends house for a BBQ this Saturday.... going to do a sort of Mexican theme... there will be a taco salad, going ot do some grilled peppers, corn on the cob, and I believe a fruit salad, etc.

Looking to do some chicken that I will cook on the grill

Probably going to make use of this recipe:

1 C white wine

1 tsp black pepper

1/2 shallot (finely chopped)

1 garlic clove (minced)

1 tbs chipotle in adobo sauce

from bier in this thread

But, I am being asked to do a few variations of hispanic style chicken as some of the people there really don't like spicy food... so, thinking a lime based marinade for those folks.

THe above marinade looks like it will have a nice smoky flavor from the chipotles with added flavor from the shallot and garlic (I'll likely use a bit more garlic, but that's just me)

So.. any thoughts on marinades/rubs that would go well with the above.

Looking for something that is not spicy but has that definite Hispanic flavor, and then some options that are spicier (not scoth bonnet hot, but flavorful spicy)

You could make a pretty simple Mexican Lasagna using tortillas instead of pasta--using either chicken or beef as a filling--use enchilada sauce instead of marinera and add ricotta to spinach as your cheese layer.--Works pretty well with the outdoor food you have plan and you can make it ahead of time.

You could make a pretty simple Mexican Lasagna using tortillas instead of pasta--using either chicken or beef as a filling--use enchilada sauce instead of marinera and add ricotta to spinach as your cheese layer.--Works pretty well with the outdoor food you have plan and you can make it ahead of time.

That sounds good, but Ithink the group is pretty set on a grilled chicken dish as the main course, but this is something I will certainly do in the not too distant future.

SO, ended up going with the variations on the recipe in the original post as well as a variation of the citrus/garlic recipe.

Variations on the citrus garlic one was that I used a lot more garlic and did not use cilantro. Came out very tasty, and I am not a huge fan of lemon/citrus chicken. It ended up having just a mild hint of the citrus (used about 2 cups of OJ, juice from 3 large lemons and juice from 5 limes, abou 6 or 7 cloves of garlic, the 3 bay leaves, olive oil and some pepper). Grilled it up and it was very tasty.

Then, for the above recipe, I used about 2 cups of white wine, 7 or 8 cloves of garlic, 1 1/2 shallots and chopped about 7 or 8 of the chipotles and pured in all of the adobo from I would guess a 6 or 8 oz. can of them. Perfect amount of background kick without an overwhelming heat to it. It really did take a few seconds before my mouth triggered that there was some heat in there.

SO, thank you all for your input and recipes. Going to ad both of those to my regular arsenal

Averaged about 300 for 2.75 hours. I thought it would take longer like a brisket but I guess having a bone in shortened the time. First time I've ever smoked ribs.

Wow....thats hot.

Very interesting. I did a couple racks about 3 weeks ago but had to smell them cooking all day at 215.

Did you do them wet or dry?

Edited by Seattle LawDawg

Wow....thats hot.

Very interesting. I did a couple racks about 3 weeks ago but had to smell them cooking all day at 215.

Did you do them wet or dry?

Well, it was 3:30 when I put them on and we didn't want to be eating at 8pm so I cranked it up a little hotter than normal. If I had more time I would have set it at around 250. I bought some racks labeled "St. Louis" cut and for the life of me I don't know why they were called that. :D

I did a dry rub but also used a vinegar mop sauce every 30mins to keep the meat moist.

Well, it was 3:30 when I put them on and we didn't want to be eating at 8pm so I cranked it up a little hotter than normal. If I had more time I would have set it at around 250. I bought some racks labeled "St. Louis" cut and for the life of me I don't know why they were called that. :D

I did a dry rub but also used a vinegar mop sauce every 30mins to keep the meat moist.

Pork Spareribs, St. Louis Style

St. Louis Style Ribs originate from pork spareribs and are prepared by removing the brisket bone approximately parallel to the rib side, exposing cartilage on the brisket bone side. Skirt meat is removed.