[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Ben in mc accident

Front Row

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I smell B.S.

This thread should be locked down and tossed in the trash.

YWIA

This has been confirmed on local Pittsburgh news. Apparently a car pulled out infront of him on 2nd ave in Pgh. He reportedly went over the handlebars and hit his head into the cars windshield. Not wearing a helmet. Is in Mercy hospital in Pgh but no news on extent of injuries.

This has been confirmed on local Pittsburgh news. Apparently a car pulled out infront of him on 2nd ave in Pgh. He reportedly went over the handlebars and hit his head into the cars windshield. Not wearing a helmet. Is in Mercy hospital in Pgh but no news on extent of injuries.

100% accurate. It is being reported all over our local news just like this right now.

They just showed the windshield that his head went into. That windshield is messed up on the passenger side is messed up. They also just said that after his head hit the windshield that when he fell on the ground he landed head first there too.

Roethlisberger on riding his motorcycle without a helmet :D

NFL.com wire reports

PITTSBURGH (May 6, 2005) -- Despite Kellen Winslow 's accident and his own coach's admonition, Big Ben isn't hopping off his big bike just yet.

Ben Roethlisberger was lectured by Steelers coach Bill Cowher on the dangers of riding a motorcycle without a helmet -- as Roethlisberger has been spotted doing recently -- but the quarterback isn't ready to get off his $20,000 cycle.

"He talked about being a risk taker and I'm not really a risk taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said as the Steelers opened their minicamp. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

Asked why he doesn't wear a helmet -- something he wouldn't think about doing on a football field -- Roethlisberger pointed out Pennsylvania's 35-year-old state law requiring helmets to be worn was amended two years ago.

"Obviously Pennsylvania doesn't think people need to (wear a helmet)," he said. "There's a law you've got to wear it in football."

Steelers linebacker Joey Porter was surprised to hear the NFL offensive rookie of the year is taking such risks so soon after Winslow's accident. The Browns tight end, drafted five spots ahead of Roethlisberger last year, was injured May 1 when he flew off a newly purchased motorcycle after running into a parking lot curb.

"Some guys are real good on motorcycles and know what they're doing, but accidents happen," Porter said. "I can't knock the guy for doing it, but it's probably not the wisest thing to do. I don't own a bike because I don't trust them."

Porter occasionally gets on a Jet Ski, but he said that's different from steering a motorcycle through heavy traffic. Roethlisberger acknowledged many drivers become distracted when they see him riding, shouting or waving at him.

"If I fall off a Jet Ski, I hit the water, and I like my odds," Porter said. "I'm going to get wet. What I say about motorcycles is that concrete is undefeated."

Of course, Roethlisberger was, too, as a rookie, going 13-0 during the Steelers' team-record 15-1 regular season before losing to New England in the AFC championship game.

The Steelers are understandably cautious about combining a first-round draft choice and a high-speed vehicle. Gabe Rivera, the defensive lineman they chose instead of quarterback Dan Marino in the 1983 draft, was paralyzed after wrecking his sports car midway through his rookie season and hasn't walked since.

Many NFL contracts prohibit engaging in dangerous activities, but Roethlisberger's deal apparently doesn't specifically ban motorcycle riding.

Cowher didn't criticize Roethlisberger's riding, but is visibly uneasy with it.

"I certainly don't condone that," Cowher said. "It (playing pro football) is a very small time in your life and you've got to be very careful -- you can see it documented with Kellen Winslow in Cleveland. There are choices and consequences ... not just in riding motorcycles, but where you go and who you associate with. You have control over them but once you make your decision, they control you."

www.nfl.com

reported on ESPN news on TV as well.

We can all meet at Menudo's for the vigil...

Menudo is on his way to VA for business today isn't he. Hope he doesn't get the news while driving.

If true, and it's starting to sound more & more like the story is credible - what a damn shame. I hope the kid isn't a victim of his own poor judgement. Here's to hoping Roethlisberger is walking out laughing later today.

agreed

When will these "kids" learn. If you are riding a motorcycle wear a :D ! You'd never see them playing football without one, so why would you ride with out one!! :D

I hope Menudo is all right :D

Edited by T-Scorp