[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Green Egg Follow Up

Atlanta Cracker

Life has been hectic the past three weeks with moving and deciding on what grill to get!! The silver lining is that, thanks to Unateve, I now have the most awesome grill on the planet in my backyard!!! :D

I'm still working on perfecting my process so that's why I'm back here for help. So far I have had the following experiences:

Cook #1: Ribeyes (about 1" thick)- My favorite steak rub (one side lemon pepper and the other garlic salt with sweet basil). Got the sucker up to 750 degrees and then had to wait about 10-15 mins on my wife to prepare other items so it just kept getting hotter. Slapped the steaks on for 2 mins a side with everything wide open and then 2 mins more with everything shut down as was done in the video. End result was the most delicious steak I have ever had BUT it was well done (though still incredibly juicy) not medium/medium rare as I'd hoped. Surely I can do better.

Cook #2: Ribeyes again (same thickness and rub) - Let's not try to get too complicated here right. Brought it up to 650 or so and started cooking right away. Went a min and a half on each side. This time not quite the char or flavor and very RARE though still delicious. I think what I need to do is split the difference.

Cook #3: Chicken Breasts (homade bbq sauce) - Cooked on both sides about 10 mins or so at 350-375. Very juicy and flavorful but a little rubbery and none of the great flavor of that first steak.

I have the inlaws coming in town this weekend and I need to get the steak cooking to medium down pat. I plan to pick up some nice filets at the local butcher that will be 2+ inches thick. Perhaps the 2/2/2 scenario at full but not excessive heat will do the trick??

I'm sure a serious gas griller could offer advice here too. How long should they be left out before cooking and how long on each side at crazy hot heat?

Thanks in advance! :D

That's awesome.

Although I'm not a proud owner of a big green egg I have found that if I preheat the grill (and it's gas) to 750+, I only need to put the steaks on for 2 min per side to achieve a nice rare center with a crispy outside. I cooked a filet for my wife that was about 2" thick pre-heating to about 850 and I only needed about 3 mins per side to get it a touch below medium rare. All grills are different so Unta would probably be able to give you the best advice on how to grill using the egg.

Edit:

I've also read that some people like to bring the meat to room temperature. I'm the opposite. I prefer my steaks pittsburgh style rare so I'll actually put the meat in the freezer 5 mins before I slap them on the grill. I'll get a nice char on the outside with a non-bloody inside.

Edited by twiley

I like to bring the steaks to room temp. My grill gets extremly hot at 1500 degrees, lately I have put the steaks on just long enough to put a real good sear on them and get the carmelization. I'll then throw my steaks onto a charcoal grill to get them nice. I think you can work the BGE the same way... maybe take the steaks off for a minute or two and leave the lid off then put them back on???

Do you let your steaks rest for a little while before serving them? I'll usually let them rest for 3-5 minutes after taking them off the grill. It helps them to cook a little more and the juices get sucked back up into the center of the meat.

:D

Do you let your steaks rest for a little while before serving them? I'll usually let them rest for 3-5 minutes after taking them off the grill. It helps them to cook a little more and the juices get sucked back up into the center of the meat.

:D

That's what I did with the first batch. I actually cut into my wife's steak straight off the grill and it looked perfectly medium. Then after sitting for 5 mins they were all cooked all the way through but still incredibly moist.

I think if I get some big honking filets I'll go back to the original process but do 1 min for the last cook (2-2-1) with everything shut off and see where they stand after sitting for 5 mins. I can always toss them back on there to get a little more cooking if needed.

you really should use the egg's forum for advice though I'm sure untateve knows plenty. rhumnjerk (or something like that) who posts there is my buddy who moved down there earlier this year.

You heading to Eggfest in October? My room is booked and will be in early Friday morning

you really should use the egg's forum for advice though I'm sure untateve knows plenty. rhumnjerk (or something like that) who posts there is my buddy who moved down there earlier this year.

You heading to Eggfest in October? My room is booked and will be in early Friday morning

I haven't gotten around to setting anything up on that site yet and some of this stuff is general grilling anyway.

I just PMed untateve asking if he was coming down based on another thread where you mentioned eggtoberfest. I suggested that if so we should have a cooking at my house one day. If other huddlers are around it sounds like a good excuse to grill and watch some Sunday Ticket the day after the fest is over! Actually, even if Unta isn't coming we should do that anyway!! How long are you in town?

I had a particularly long day today (started at 5am, got home at 9pm).

Here's how I do my steaks:

First of all, go to a butcher--don't buy meat from the grocery store. My steaks are minimum 1 1/2 inches thick. 1 3/4 - 2 inches are best. I also prefer NY Strip.

I let them get to room temp, a little olive oil rubbed in, salt and fresh ground pepper.

I get the Egg to 750-800 degrees. I sear the steaks for one minute on each side (the Egg is open--that is the lid is up). Take them off the Egg, put them on a plate and cover with foil. I then cap the Egg and close the bottom grate. After about 20 minutes, the Egg drops to 400 degrees. I put the steaks on, about 4 minutes per side (with the lid down). I go about 4 1/2 minutes per side when the steaks are 2 inches thick.

Take the steaks off, cover with foil and rest about 10 minutes. Perfect medium rare. I've pretty much stopped ordering steak in restaurants. Every now and then, I'll melt some of my garlic butter over the steak. I don't do more than this. It really is this easy.

Here's a link that I've used that I found really helpful for steaks:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm

Edited by untateve

I am debating getting an egg to go with my new house in NJ (I close june 29)

First of all, Egg is always capitalized.

Second, do not debate. Do not consider. Do not wonder. Do not pass Go. Get an Egg. It is the most amazing, and versatile, grill/smoker you can own. As I may have mentioned in the past, there are so few items that you will ever buy that will so far exceed your expectations as the Egg.

Peruse the site and the message board:

http://www.biggreenegg.com/index.php

I haven't gotten around to setting anything up on that site yet and some of this stuff is general grilling anyway.

I just PMed untateve asking if he was coming down based on another thread where you mentioned eggtoberfest. I suggested that if so we should have a cooking at my house one day. If other huddlers are around it sounds like a good excuse to grill and watch some Sunday Ticket the day after the fest is over! Actually, even if Unta isn't coming we should do that anyway!! How long are you in town?

I responded to your PM and I would love to come. It is indeed my dream. Hurricanes have impacted my life in a rather bothersome manner the last two years as I took two direct hits in 2004 and one direct hit in 2005. A flight to Atlanta is relatively inexpensive. As the time approaches, plans shall be made. Big John is in Atlanta, too. This could be good fun.

First of all, Egg is always capitalized.

Second, do not debate. Do not consider. Do not wonder. Do not pass Go. Get an Egg. It is the most amazing, and versatile, grill/smoker you can own. As I may have mentioned in the past, there are so few items that you will ever buy that will so far exceed your expectations as the Egg.

Peruse the site and the message board:

http://www.biggreenegg.com/index.php

the drawback of apartment life -- i miss my grill. i just told my wife that if we ever live someplace with a backyard again, i may have to get an Egg. she said if i ever get a $700 grill, she's getting a $1200 purse.

First of all, go to a butcher--don't buy meat from the grocery store. My steaks are minimum 1 1/2 inches thick. 1 3/4 - 2 inches are best. I also prefer NY Strip.

I let them get to room temp, a little olive oil rubbed in, salt and fresh ground pepper.

I get the Egg to 750-800 degrees. I sear the steaks for one minute on each side (the Egg is open--that is the lid is up). Take them off the Egg, put them on a plate and cover with foil. I then cap the Egg and close the bottom grate. After about 20 minutes, the Egg drops to 400 degrees. I put the steaks on, about 4 minutes per side (with the lid down). I go about 4 1/2 minutes per side when the steaks are 2 inches thick.

Take the steaks off, cover with foil and rest about 10 minutes. Perfect medium rare. I've pretty much stopped ordering steak in restaurants. Every now and then, I'll melt some of my garlic butter over the steak. I don't do more than this. It really is this easy.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that this weekend!

I had my best cooking yet tonight. Just some small little chicken strip pieces with BGE rub on them that came with my grill at 500 degrees for about 4 mins a side. I don't remember my exact quote but it was something like "Sweet Mary, mother of tender juicy chicken!!"

we're driving so there would be no Sunday football for me as that's driving home day. 12 hours worth...But we will be around Friday and Saturday nights...

So take an extra day?? :D

Outside that we can certainly plan some sort of cookout between Eggtoberfest events. Are you guys participating/cooking or just checking things out?

This sounds like the way to go but I honestly don't have the patience.

I know it's only about 45 mins but I have the attention span and patience of a 6 year old. :D

So take an extra day?? :D

Outside that we can certainly plan some sort of cookout between Eggtoberfest events. Are you guys participating/cooking or just checking things out?

an extra day isn't an option. If it were just me, no problem...the other guy has a rather rough time getting days off.

We will most likely be cooking something. My buddy always does something phenomenal.

I can't speak for the techniques of the BGE, but I've always cooked on charcoal and had several different grills. I'm not a fan of these extreme high temps for cooking steaks. I always let my steaks come to room temp and let my coals ash over and become med-high temp wise before I put my steaks on the grill. I can have eight people over and ask how they want them, then it's just time. I keep my coals about 4-6" under the grates and go from there as I always go 1 1/4-1 1/2" thick and go by time. I prefer mine med-rare and that's around 10-12 min. at med-high temps. My brother-n-law is always amazed at how I pull them off and they are cooked to order, but I've been grilling for many a moons and have perfected my method, so AC, just keep practicing and you will be a BGE master in no time, as it took some time to adjust to my new Red Oak Deluxe since the cooking surface was the biggest I've owned so far in my grills.

Be thankful she only wants ONE! Trust me on this. I could open a shoe/purse store with my wifes collection and probably buy a new Audi A6 with the cash :D

My wife is the same way. She's the only person I know that can walk into a furniture store and come out with a new purse. True story... I'm still trying to figure out how she did it.