[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steeler Fans Rejoice

Menudo

This report is from Ed Bouchette, who is one of the main sports writers with Pittsburgh's largest newspaper. This by no means is a be-all, end-all, but, the closest thing to something official that I've seen, and I'm feeling pretty good right now. I'd still like to hear that they did an MRI on his knee(s), but, perhaps there isn't even a reason to do one ?

Anyway, here is the :D

Roethlisberger's injuries only on face, should be ready for opener

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The injuries to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger were confined to his face and the Steelers are confident he should heal and be ready to play in the season opener Sept. 7 against the Miami Dolphins, sources told the Post-Gazette today.

Roethlisberger has a broken jaw, a broken nose and some injuries to his teeth but otherwise came through his motorcycle accident on Monday with nothing else but some scrapes and bruises. Published reports that detailed injuries to his knees and shoulders are untrue, sources said.

One source said that the surgery on Roethlisberger's face took so long -- seven hours -- in order to assist in a faster recovery time. Roethlisberger also should be ready to participate in training camp, although he may not play in the first preseason game Aug. 12 in Arizona.

The quarterback had seven hours of surgery yesterday afternoon and evening to repair facial fractures caused when his motorcycle struck a car on Second Avenue at the 10th Street Bridge.

After the surgery, doctors said the facial fractures were successfully repaired but they would not elaborate. They did say that there appear to be no brain, spine, chest or abdomen injuries.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't hold your breath on that. Broken Jaws are very, VERY tender and can re-break very easy. My buddy broke his jaw and it took him over 8 months to heal up properly.

I would expect with that and his broken nasal cavity, which would put him coming back to around mid October. He may be healed but they wont clear him to play when the season starts.

Again I’m no Dr. but all of my experience with this is it’s going to be a while.

As I have said before, be careful here. I have had a broken jaw (surgerically repaired). Not so easy to come back from as it sounds. He will lose a lot of weight. He will be very cautious when taking hits in fear of another injury. Give him some time and he should be OK. Why rush him back?

I wouldn't hold your breath on that. Broken Jaws are very, VERY tender and can re-break very easy. My buddy broke his jaw and it took him over 8 months to heal up properly.

I would expect with that and his broken nasal cavity, which would put him coming back to around mid October. He may be healed but they wont clear him to play when the season starts.

Again I’m no Dr. but all of my experience with this is it’s going to be a while.

If MenMegan Foxo's post is not a jinx, then I don't know what is!!! :D

As I have said before, be careful here. I have had a broken jaw (surgerically repaired). Not so easy to come back from as it sounds. He will lose a lot of weight. He will be very cautious when taking hits in fear of another injury. Give him some time and he should be OK. Why rush him back?

I'm sorry, but you don't do a 35 MPH faceplant into a windshield in June and then play Quarterback in the NFL in September.

No way I buy it.

Lets just say that I am cautiously optimistic, because, Ed Bouchette has always shown himself to be very reliable. I'm assuming that his information is coming from Dr.'s, and I would hope that those Dr.'s are considering all options and aware of all possibilities before they are making their statements. We might know a little more after the Docs news conference in 10 minutes.

The Dr.'s are holding a press conference at 4PM Eastern....... hopefully, they will simply confirm what Mr. Bouchette has reported.

Doctors at General Hospital have confirmed that after many facial reconstruction surgeries, Big Ben will will only then be about 3 times as ugly as before the motorcycle accident...... :D

All joking aside, glad the idiotic "I don't have to wear a :D" Big Ben will be alright!!

he should sit the season for being stupid

If he plays:

Steelers 45

Browns 7

Steelers 34

Browns 3

If he doesn't play:

Steelers 35

Browns 10

Steelers 27

Browns 6

I hope he'll be ok and thanks for making this a new topic.

Well, I know there was already a long topic there, but, since it was a new udate, I thought I would post it here, so that people would be aware it was new information, instead of people telling me that Roethlisberger will look funny without his teeth.

No link yet, but, word from those that head the update on Pittsburgh radio are reporting the following:

Upgraded from Serious to Fair condition

Broken Jaw

Broken Nose (Sinal part)

NO KNEE ISSUES AT ALL

Will be out of the hospital in 3 to 5 days

Here is the :D and official report

Whether he is actually able to play opening day, considering how this sounded in the beginning, it is time for me to do this....... :D:D

Roethlisberger upgraded; no damage to knees

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

By Anita Srikameswaran and Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A doctor at Mercy Hospital today said Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has been upgraded to fair condition as he recovers from yesterday's motorcycle crash.

In addition, sources told the Post-Gazette today that Roethlisberger should be ready to play the season opener Sept. 7 against the Miami Dolphins.

Dr. Larry Jones, in a late afternoon briefing at Mercy, said the quarterback could be released in three to five days. His vital signs are stable and a brain scan shows normal functioning.

Jones said Roethlisberger suffered the following injuries when his motorcyle collided with a car on second avenue near the 10th Street Bridge yesterday morning:

Broken upper and lower jaw;

Mild concussion;

Fractured nose;

Multiple head cuts and bumps and bruises;

Two lost teeth;

Several other chipped teeth.

Jones said there is no evidence of any major structural damage to the quarterback's knees, which contradicts some news reports.

Roethlisberger has been moved out of the recovery room and is spending time with friends and family. He is in fair condition, which is an improvement over the serious but stable condition of yesterday and earlier today. He underwent seven hours of surgery yesterday to repair his facial bone breaks.

Jones would not take questions from reporters, at the family's request.

One source said that the surgery on Roethlisberger's face took so long in order to assist in a faster recovery time.

Roethlisberger also should be ready to participate in training camp, although he may not play in the first preseason game Aug. 12 in Arizona.

Edited by Menudo

When will we start hearing from the conspiracy theorists that this was all a setup to get him a plastic surgery overhaul so he can look pretty as the likes of Matt Leinart and Tom Brady and earn more endorsement deals?

he should sit the season for being an idiot

If he plays:

Steelers 45

Browns 7

Steelers 34

Browns 3

If he doesn't play:

Steelers 35

Browns 10

Steelers 27

Browns 6

He'll never be the same. I've been riding for 17 years, and have had friends go down hard, you're never the same afterwards. Sorry Menudo, but your boy-toy is going to be a shell of himself. Everytime someone blitzes him, he'll have visions of Granny cutting him off and his teeth smashing against glass. He's damaged goods. Game over. Hey, at least he won you a Super Bowl.

He'll never be the same. I've been riding for 17 years, and have had friends go down hard, you're never the same afterwards. Sorry Menudo, but your boy-toy is going to be a shell of himself. Everytime someone blitzes him, he'll have visions of Granny cutting him off and his teeth smashing against glass. He's damaged goods. Game over. Hey, at least he won you a Super Bowl.

::D

He's been proving people wrong on this message board sine he threw his first pass, you will just be a repeat offfender on that list.

If he plays:

Steelers 45

Browns 7

Steelers 34

Browns 3

If he doesn't play:

Steelers 35

Browns 10

Steelers 27

Browns 6

I don't get yer correlation.

I have to agree here to a point. You don't do a header into a car and step behind center in less than 2 months. This guy is going to be on a liquid diet. He is going to lose weight and muscle mass. The team can make whatever statement they want to and paint a nice pretty picture for all the Steeler faithful, but hte reality is that he won't be close to the same player until this time next year.

Reality check time.