[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I like Hawk's attitude

Randall

Hawk's now all business

Rookie ready to tackle football full time

By TODD ROSIAK

trosiak@journalsentinel.com

Posted: June 12, 2006

Green Bay - After finishing his coursework at Ohio State and taking one final exam last week, Green Bay Packers linebacker A.J. Hawk put the wraps on a criminology degree.

Advertisement

Then, in a move that only a football fan could appreciate, he left Columbus immediately for Green Bay, the graduation ceremony on Sunday well down on his list of priorities.

"It really wasn't," Hawk said Monday when asked if it was difficult to skip. "I wanted to get up here as quickly as possible. I got done late Friday night and drove up. It was all football from there on."

Such devotion from the No. 5 overall pick in the draft has to be encouraging to a coaching staff charged with improving on the Packers' 4-12 record last season, their worst in the last 14 years.

The Packers desperately need playmakers on defense, as evidenced by the 21 takeaways that ranked it 26th out of 32 teams in 2005.

Hawk rejoined the Packers on Monday at Clarke Hinkle Field, marking the first time he had worked out in a team setting with his new mates since the post-draft minicamp in early May.

It was no surprise that he immediately stepped in with the No. 1 defense on the weak side. And with middle linebacker Nick Barnett absent and the strong-side spot up for grabs, Hawk was the lone projected starter to line up at his spot.

The 6-foot-1, 246-pounder didn't appear out of his element, either. Fast and powerful, Hawk got in on plenty of plays and appeared to be on the same page with his teammates.

"There's obviously a lot more defenses in now so it was a little more thinking than the first minicamp," he said. "But being comfortable with the guys and with the calls and the defenses we put in, I felt pretty good. I'm excited to be here the next two weeks and I feel like at the end of next week I should feel pretty comfortable."

Defensive coordinator Bob Sanders said he liked what he saw from Hawk.

"It's just one practice, but as far as remembering everything, he did a nice job," Sanders said. "A little rusty on his techniques, which is understandable. We added some new things on him; he'd done a good job of staying on top of what he had before."

That Hawk missed the Packers' second minicamp in May and the first half or so of its schedule of 14 workouts in June - all voluntary - was no surprise. Classes were still in session at Ohio State and NFL rules limit what players in Hawk's situation can do until school ends.

With that in mind, linebackers coach Winston Moss sent Hawk a DVD of the second minicamp with instructions to break it down in order to get a better grasp of the scheme.

At the same time, Hawk was also dealing with schoolwork, namely a five-hour, four-day-a-week sociology theory class that dealt mainly with statistics.

Throw in daily workouts, and Hawk's day was pretty much accounted for from sunup to sundown.

"It was obviously pretty busy," Hawk said. "I'd get up and work out in the morning. The good thing was that another first-round pick, Bobby Carpenter, another Ohio State guy, he couldn't go, either, so we'd work out together. Go to class the rest of the day and then start studying. I knew I'd get behind if I didn't stay fresh."

Hawk might have a problem staying fresh in Green Bay, though, as the team looks to be planning to use him as an every-down player. He'll play on the weak side in the base defense, in the middle in the dime and on the strong side in the nickel.

The Packers are clearly banking on Hawk's playmaking abilities to help turn the tide for a defense that got just two interceptions, three fumble recoveries and no forced fumbles last season from a group that included Barnett, Roy Manning and the now-departed Na'il Diggs, Paris Lenon and Robert Thomas.

In three years as a starter at Ohio State, Hawk averaged 123 tackles, 12½ tackles for loss and five sacks per season.

A 40-yard dash between 4.47 and 4.59 seconds, a 40-inch vertical leap and 24 repetitions at 225 pounds on the bench press all suggest he has the tools to translate that productivity to the next level as well.

To help eliminate at least some of the outside distractions, Hawk and his fiancée, Laura Quinn, closed on a house in the area shortly after the draft.

Laura has enrolled in classes at UW-Green Bay while continuing to seek a job in TV somewhere in the area. Hawk, meanwhile, is eager to get going in his classroom: the football field.

"It's just going to be nice because I don't have to worry about writing papers; it's all football and I know it's all football," he said. "I know it's all-day football but I know there are a lot of people who would love to be in this situation, so I'm going to try to make the most of it."

It shame he has to go to a franchise like the Packers...

No need to be jealous. He likes being on a team with a long history of winning.

He's a perfect fit for Green Bay.

No need to be jealous. He likes being on a team with a long history of winning.

He's a perfect fit for Green Bay.

Green bay has a "long winning history" or its a long time between winning seasons?

Green bay has a "long winning history" or its a long time between winning seasons?

Green Bay 4 winning seasons out of last 5. Or 80%.

Tennessee 2 winning seasons out of last 5. 40%

Saw a lot of Hawk as a Big Ten follower, and the guy is going to be a stud in the NFL. He looks like a linebacker, and plays with a motor that won't quit. Congrats to Green Bay on getting this guy. His clone, who my biased-self feels is slightly better will be coming out next year.......Paul Pozluszny. Hawk's attitude seems to be exactly what you would want from a draft pick, the Packers got themselves a sure thing.

Saw a lot of Hawk as a Big Ten follower, and the guy is going to be a stud in the NFL. He looks like a linebacker, and plays with a motor that won't quit. Congrats to Green Bay on getting this guy. His clone, who my biased-self feels is slightly better will be coming out next year.......Paul Pozluszny. Hawk's attitude seems to be exactly what you would want from a draft pick, the Packers got themselves a sure thing.

Let's hope he doesn't try to take up motorcycle riding. :D