[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gas or Charcoal

broncosn05

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry boys, I've cooked so many steaks I couldn't begin to give a number, and everyone I know raves about my steaks. If your having steaks-ya want PD cooking them for ya-trust me.

Did not mean to step on toes, but gas grills sucks. Ganging up on me with CD not here-put'em up :D

I think PD was just trying to tell us that he likes his charcoal grill and may not have cooked on a good big shiny stainless...

But I can't wait for the first "From the Crockpot" when he shows us his new charcoal powered crockpot! :D

I guess he could go with a Dutch Oven that I use camping or hunting! :D

Never seen a propane powered one either-now under the ole roof, electricity is a beautiful thing. I love that little SOB so much that when it expires I'll bury it instead of throwing it in the trash.

Sorry boys, I've cooked so many steaks I couldn't begin to give a number, and everyone I know raves about my steaks. If your having steaks-ya want PD cooking them for ya-trust me.

Did not mean to step on toes, but gas grills sucks. Ganging up on me with CD not here-put'em up :D

lmao.... i would bet that over some weekends i have cooked more steaks than you have in your lifetime... guess what- 95+% of professional kitchens don't use charcoal. i'm not saying you don't make a good steak, i am saying that one doesn't need charcoal to do it. and don't forget those idiots who use lighter fluid and get that irrisistable flavor in there. to be a charcoal elitist is complete bs. and you aren't steping on my toes, you're just wrong.

lmao.... i would bet that over some weekends i have cooked more steaks than you have in your lifetime... guess what- 95+% of professional kitchens don't use charcoal. i'm not saying you don't make a good steak, i am saying that one doesn't need charcoal to do it. and don't forget those idiots who use lighter fluid and get that irrisistable flavor in there. to be a charcoal elitist is complete bs. and you aren't steping on my toes, you're just wrong.

Lighter fluid is for Rosie O'Donnell!! I use good old unleaded gasoline to light my charcoal! mmmmmmmmm... gives it a good "industrial" flavor!

Lighter fluid is for Rosie O'Donnell!! I use good old unleaded gasoline to light my charcoal! mmmmmmmmm... gives it a good "industrial" flavor!

LOL. Those charcoal chimneys work pretty well with no fluid required. IMO, the best tasting meat still comes off a wood fire though. But I sacrifice the high / precise heat of propane. Typically, when I grill, I'm going to have to grills going. Once the meat is seared over propane, its going on the firebox.

LOL. Those charcoal chimneys work pretty well with no fluid required. IMO, the best tasting meat still comes off a wood fire though. But I sacrifice the high / precise heat of propane. Typically, when I grill, I'm going to have to grills going. Once the meat is seared over propane, its going on the firebox.

yeah... those chimneys are the way to go. and for flavor i'll take the wood. charcoal grills give you that option (which is a stength of cooking with a charcoal grill).

We have both a gas grill and an old charcoal grill. Everything tastes 10x better on the charcoal grill, but whenever I need a quick burger or hotdog the gas grill is definately the way to go.

Tailgating tho I will take the charcoal grill any day of the week!

• 2 weeks later...

Have and use both. Both do everything just as well as the other. Though for a good H2O smoking process I prefer the charcoal because of the layering effect it gives with ease :D

Edited by Hugh B Tool

Hey what would you guys recommend for a cheaper grill around $100?

I'm buying one for my brother since he is moving into a new house in college. He probably won't be doing anything fancy on it, just burgers, steaks, etc. and I hate seeing him use a George Foreman crap grill.

Hey what would you guys recommend for a cheaper grill around $100?

I'm buying one for my brother since he is moving into a new house in college. He probably won't be doing anything fancy on it, just burgers, steaks, etc. and I hate seeing him use a George Foreman crap grill.

Wal-Mart had sevearl the other day-gas :D and charcoal for around a hunny.

OK. You all know my take on this, though I must agree with Bier that you can make great food with gas/propane. However:

Grilling and smoking food is so much more than the propellant you use. It is about the sensory experience, the primeval responsibility to "make fire". And the real question is, do you want to "make fire" like a man, or "make fire" like a woman. Because in my world, it's WAY cooler to strike a match and watch the charcoal/hardwood flame up, then slowly die down to produce the optimum cooking temperature. When the caveman discovered fire, did he light his farts and cook with methane gas? NOOOOOOOO..........

He used wood. And he was the creator of delicious food for his family.

And for those of you who are products of the "instant satisfaction" generation and cannot wait a measly 20 minutes to light your fire, well....all I can say is it's time to slow down your lives, light the fire, play with the kids in the yard or drink a cold beer while the fire gets ready. Because ultimately, as men, we have been stripped of most of our manly responsibilities. If we don't have to kill our food, at least we can still "make fire" and fulfill our destinies as men.

:D

Edited by Chief Dick

OK. You all know my take on this, though I must agree with Bier that you can make great food with gas/propane. However:

Grilling and smoking food is so much more than the propellant you use. It is about the sensory experience, the primeval responsibility to "make fire". And the real question is, do you want to "make fire" like a man, or "make fire" like a woman. Because in my world, it's WAY cooler to strike a match and watch the charcoal/hardwood flame up, then slowly die down to produce the optimum cooking temperature. When the caveman discovered fire, did he light his farts and cook with methane gas? NOOOOOOOO..........

And for those of you who are products of the "instant satisfaction" generation and cannot wait a measly 20 minutes to light your fire, well....all I can say is it's time to slow down your lives, light the fire, play with the kids in the yard or drink a cold beer while the fire gets ready. Because ultimately, as men, we have been stripped of most of our manly responsibilities. If we don't have to kill our food, at least we can still "make fire" and fulfill our destinies as men.

That was fuggin beautiful :D

PD, you are so right. I have relinquished to the Weber Genesis out of pure laziness. It is much more conveneint and a little soaked chips can add some flavor. I know its lame, but the fam sure seems to enjoy. I'm pretty good with gas, so I can only imagine the magic I could make with charc. Maybe I'll see the light soon.

By the way, love me some panthers. How do you think Meyshawn will fit in.