[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gas or Charcoal

broncosn05

I put the foil with the chips right on the grill grates where I cook the chicken...do you call that the burner or the rack??

You got to remove the grates and put the chips right on the burner. The burner is where the fire comes out (not trying to be a diccck, just trying to be specific). Once you put the chips on the burner, replace the grate. Once it starts smoking, put the food on the grate.

Or, you could just purchase the Big Green Egg and live a life of smoking bliss.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You got to remove the grates and put the chips right on the burner. The burner is where the fire comes out (not trying to be a diccck, just trying to be specific). Once you put the chips on the burner, replace the grate. Once it starts smoking, put the food on the grate.

:D:D ok...no offense taken...sometimes I'm a little thick headed. So that is why I am not getting the smokie flavor I have been looking for. Thanks untateve, much appreciated. One more thing...so the foil and wood won't catch a blaze??? :D

Well, I would have considered the BGE but I already purchased the Weber Genesis Silver B. I am a definate Weber fan...have a charcole Weber as a standby. I was getting really frustrated that this weber was not living up to my expectation as far as smokie flavor...dumb newbie :D gas griller....now I will try the correct way to smoking under the silver B and see where that takes me.

Get some apple wood. Soak for a couple of hours. Take a sheet of aluminum foil and lay it out. Put 3 or 4 apple chunks on the sheet, then fold the foil up around it. Take the sides of the foil up first and then just crinkle the ends. You want the foil to resemble a long tube. Poke a couple of holes at either end. Place foil directly on your burners.

I would turn the heat as far down as possible if you really want to smoke something and put the food on the upper rack. Place a cookie sheet with water on the lower rack.

This will allow you to smoke meat on a propane or gas grill, and does a pretty good job. You may even want to make 2 "wood tubes" out of the foil for extra smoke.

I did this on my brothers grill when I was in Hawaii, and smoked some ribs for about 4 hours this way. Worked great.

I've used smoker pouches numerous times when smoking on a gas grill. Works fairly well but can't compete with the smoker. :D

Well, I would have considered the BGE but I already purchased the Weber Genesis Silver B. I am a definate Weber fan...have a charcole Weber as a standby. I was getting really frustrated that this weber was not living up to my expectation as far as smokie flavor...dumb newbie :D gas griller....now I will try the correct way to smoking under the silver B and see where that takes me.

Just don't burn down that big new deck!! :D

I've used smoker pouches numerous times when smoking on a gas grill. Works fairly well but can't compete with the smoker. :D

Very true. But works good when your only option is a gas grill. It actually amazed me how much smoky flavor we got when using this method on my brother's propane grill.

Weber fan you say DW? If you want a smoker, one of the best is the Weber Smokey Mountain cooker. For the $ it is a great value because of how it holds a consistent temp. The egg is a much more versatile unit, more cache, more $. It is a great unit and one day I'll have one. But for now, I make great Q on the Weber.

All you need to know about it is here.

Weber fan you say DW? If you want a smoker, one of the best is the Weber Smokey Mountain cooker. For the $ it is a great value because of how it holds a consistent temp. The egg is a much more versatile unit, more cache, more $. It is a great unit and one day I'll have one. But for now, I make great Q on the Weber.

All you need to know about it is here.

I do like the looks of that.... :D