[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'll never own Peyton Manning

Piranha

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My league has a flex position which can include a QB. Because the required positions are QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, FLEX, K, DEF there are more QBs available as the flex spot than RB or WR. Pretty much everybody in my league has at least one QB by the 4 round AND some managers have even employed a draft stragey by drafting 2 RBS and 2 QBs by the 4th round (RBs and QBs score higher than WRs). I'm drafting 7th (10 team league) this year and I will be faced with the Peyton Manning decision....not sure yet what I will do.

...because I never take a QB in the first round.

and somebody always takes him in the 1st.

So, who are you?

fess up

The only chance you have of getting Manning is by finding a league full of people like you.

How have those rookie owners done after drafting Manning so high? No one in my local drafts a QB until late in the second or early 3rd depending on the RB's left.

I traded for him two years ago in my BOTH league (3 player keeper league) and have, overall, been pretty happy with that trade. Though, I'm not sure I'd draft him in a redraft this year until late 1st round, early 2nd.

I am not sude I'd even touch him in the 2nd...

I'll let someone else scramble for a RB....

My local allows 6 pts for all TDs and .1 for every 10 yards passing/rushing/receiving. QBs score the most by far. Often 3 QBs are taken in the 1st round.

my league awards between 6-9 pts for a QB passing TD...

but I'd still rather take a combination of WR's and RB's before taking my 1st QB....and to ensure quality...I might take 2 QB's close to one another in picks just to make sure I get the players I want...unless they are sleeper material...

My local allows 6 pts for all TDs and .1 for every 10 yards passing/rushing/receiving. QBs score the most by far. Often 3 QBs are taken in the 1st round.

even though your scoring is ENHANCED for the QB its enhanced for ALL of them, so I would still be waiting...

for me its not about the scoring system but how evenly they score overall after the top 1-3

and I wont be scrambling to catch up because i took any QB early

even though your scoring is ENHANCED for the QB its enhanced for ALL of them, so I would still be waiting...

for me its not about the scoring system but how evenly they score overall after the top 1-3

I forgot to mention that in this league, you cannot draft backups at any position until all your starters are chosen. That means round 10 is the earliest that a 3rd RB can be picked. I think that changes the value drastically of a top-tier QB. (BTW we are trying to change this rule and maybe go to an auction draft this year)

I forgot to mention that in this league, you cannot draft backups at any position until all your starters are chosen. That means round 10 is the earliest that a 3rd RB can be picked. I think that changes the value drastically of a top-tier QB. (BTW we are trying to change this rule and maybe go to an auction draft this year)

That is a ludicrous rule. Owners should be allowed to draft whom they please when they please.

I drafted him at the 1.5 spot in my dynasty league's first draft 4 years ago. Just about every other player has been traded or dropped since then, but Manning remains.

I'll draft a QB anywhere if he fits in my plan. I don't care. Usually, its not until late 2nd or early 3rd (at the earliest) for redraft leagues however.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

I don't disagree, but in the league where the QB points are as much as the RB (for TDs), added to the fact the Manning may throw an extra 15-or-16 TDs in the year (that's one per game folks), that moves him up in my book. (Not to 1st round mind you, but I draft him/Palmer higher in that kind of league that a 3-4 pt TD league)

Question, does that tier 3 RB you select (instead of Manning) score a TD more per game than the tier 4 RB you'd be "stuck" with by jumping earlier and getting Manning. NO!

I know all the trends, histories, etc.

But if you apply an "exception" to the top 3 WRs over the last few years, I don't believe you completely ignore a guaranteed top 3 QB (who is always injury free!) in Rnd 2 for a principle.

2 years ago I drafted Manning either at 1.10 or 2.02 (can't remember which, got Edge w/ the other). The 49 TD helped me just a tad. (That league also has higher points for 10+ and 40+ yd TDs, and Manning used to throw a lot of those, that's another factor often not considered: A QB who throws a good deal of long TDs increases in relative value)

Edited by Bengal Mania

So far this year I haven't seen him go in the first round - always in mid second.

Considering all the question marks surrounding the other 'elite' QBs, and with Edge gone, he's worth a look in the second round. Drafts seem more WR heavy in late 2 - 3 rounds than in previous years, so you can pick up a decent RB in Rds 3-4

Question, does that tier 3 RB you select (instead of Manning) score a TD more per game than the tier 4 RB you'd be "stuck" with by jumping earlier and getting Manning. NO!

Wrong question.

The correct question is ... will the QB I draft in the 5th round plus the RB I get in the 2nd round get more points than Manning + the RB I draft in the 5th round. The drop off between Manning and a middle QB is not as severe as the drop off in RBs ... largely because most leagues only require ONE starting QB per team while TWO or more RBs are started per team.

In GenLost last year all TDs are 6 points and Manning was drafted at 1.02 ... the next 5 rounds of that owner's team:

2.11 - BWestbrook

3.02 - TOwens

4.11 - KBarlow

5.02 - Roy Williams

6.11 - TJones

At 1.02 this owner could have drafted SAlexander, still got Westbrook on the turn around, got Owens in the 3rd and then at 4.11 he could have ANY of the QBs that finished in the top 10 EXCEPT for Peyton Manning INSTEAD of Barlow. The difference between Manning (who finished 3rd overall behind Palmer and Brady) and the 10th QB was 48.85 points over 17 weeks ... an average of 2.87 points per week. The difference between SAlexander and KBarlow was 275.1 points ... or 16.18 points per week.

Manning + Westbrook + Owens + Barlow+ Roy Williams + TJones

vs

SAlexander + Westbrook + Owens + Palmer + Roy Williams + TJones

Obviously taking Manning in the second round would lower the numbers and they wouldn't be as extreme ... but I believe it would still hold true that for the most part you are better off letting somebody else draft QBs in the first 3 rounds.