[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'll never own Peyton Manning

Piranha

It is all good. I'm just carrying a flag I have carried for a while. I was one of thos people that spoke loudly and tried to caution my Huddle bretheren against picking Manning top 6 last year, but so many were inclined to do it and had poor fantasy seasons to show for it. I will do the same thing this season with Steve Smith and Carnell Williams. I just don't think these players will merit their ranking.

Manning in the third round is no problem IMHO. At 3.10, with 2 RBS on staff I think it's a very good pick. Even with a top RB and a top WR I would consider it. In all the leagues I have been in and watched taking a QB too early has been fantasy suicide, so I never advocate it.

the owner who took Manning in the current mock...either took him in the late 2nd or early 3rd as he had the 2nd pick overall...

and by my opinion...he can still overcome taking Manning without taking a 2nd RB yet....but I won't spoil that for him if he does what I think he'll do...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the owner who took Manning in the current mock...either took him in the late 2nd or early 3rd as he had the 2nd pick overall...

and by my opinion...he can still overcome taking Manning without taking a 2nd RB yet....but I won't spoil that for him if he does what I think he'll do...

See...I have used this example with having the first pick overall in discussions.

Let's take LJ for example. If you approach the problem with the mindset that he can continue to average 29 fantasy points per start, then you have the equivalent of 2 14.5 PPG RBs. In perspective that is like having the #7 and 8 RBs from 2005. Now I can see taking a risk with drafting a QB at the end of the second or beginning of the third round. The thing to remember is that this will probably force you to scramble and do some extra WR drafting to make sure you have your bases covered, or to end up hoping that the guy you draft at RB2 later will actually get some touches. In this case it can be a worthwhile risk, but otherwise it can be a rough way to start your team.

See...I have used this example with having the first pick overall in discussions.

Let's take LJ for example. If you approach the problem with the mindset that he can continue to average 29 fantasy points per start, then you have the equivalent of 2 14.5 PPG RBs. In perspective that is like having the #7 and 8 RBs from 2005. Now I can see taking a risk with drafting a QB at the end of the second or beginning of the third round. The thing to remember is that this will probably force you to scramble and do some extra WR drafting to make sure you have your bases covered, or to end up hoping that the guy you draft at RB2 later will actually get some touches. In this case it can be a worthwhile risk, but otherwise it can be a rough way to start your team.

This is a VERY good point. The players you already have an impact. Getting LJ at 1.01, then TO or Chad Johnson or another good WR at 2.12 means you can take Manning at 3.01 because of the strength of the players you already have.

I must admit that in the 3rd round if Manning is still on the board you have to seriously consider him because by then the tier 1 & 2 RBs are likely gone and the tier 1 WRs are likely gone. However, I don't find it very likely that Manning would realistically be on the board in the 3rd round despite where he might have been taken in any mock. I fully expect that Manning will be taken in the 1st or 2nd in every single league that I am in where he is not already a keeper.

This is a VERY good point. The players you already have an impact. Getting LJ at 1.01, then TO or Chad Johnson or another good WR at 2.12 means you can take Manning at 3.01 because of the strength of the players you already have.

I must admit that in the 3rd round if Manning is still on the board you have to seriously consider him because by then the tier 1 & 2 RBs are likely gone and the tier 1 WRs are likely gone. However, I don't find it very likely that Manning would realistically be on the board in the 3rd round despite where he might have been taken in any mock. I fully expect that Manning will be taken in the 1st or 2nd in every single league that I am in where he is not already a keeper.

I think Manning falls to the 2nd round this year in most leagues just because owners over -expected from him last year and he hurt a whole lot of teams. but I don't see him falling to the 3rd round.

I think Manning/Gates/and any of the top tier WR's need to be taken in the 2nd half of the 2nd round. I would make sure there is gonna be a quality back or 2 left before I left from drafting RB's. JMO of course.

My local allows 6 pts for all TDs and .1 for every 10 yards passing/rushing/receiving. QBs score the most by far. Often 3 QBs are taken in the 1st round.

My local went from 4pts to 6pts for passing TDs last season. Manning went No. 1 overall. By the end of the second round, Culpepper, McNabb, and Bulger were off the board. Green, Vick and Collins were off the board by the end of the fourth.

I "settled" for Hass at the top of the 5th round and pretty much ran roughshod over everyone except the other guy who waited to take his QB (Brady) in the 5th round.

If you don't believe me, do a dozen or so mock drafts and use your first round pick on Manning if he's available. By the time you finish the fourth or fifth draft, you'll realize that if you take a QB in the first round, you'll be behind the curve for the rest of your draft and making several poor value picks out of necessity.

My local went from 4pts to 6pts for passing TDs last season. Manning went No. 1 overall. By the end of the second round, Culpepper, McNabb, and Bulger were off the board. Green, Vick and Collins were off the board by the end of the fourth.

I "settled" for Hass at the top of the 5th round and pretty much ran roughshod over everyone except the other guy who waited to take his QB (Brady) in the 5th round.

If you don't believe me, do a dozen or so mock drafts and use your first round pick on Manning if he's available. By the time you finish the fourth or fifth draft, you'll realize that if you take a QB in the first round, you'll be behind the curve for the rest of your draft and making several poor value picks out of necessity.

Yep. then you waste picks on platoon RB's in 2 of the next 3 rounds trying to make up ground there ,meanwhile everyone stocks up on the good WR's , TE's and QB's.

I never hear of teams winning with Peyton Manning on their teams, but I do hear of teams winning with Antonio Gates though, which seems odd cause it's the same strategy. But Gates doesn't go in the first round.

I would rather have Gates myself unless it is bigger than a 16 team league.

Considering that the quality of RB at 1.07 is much higher and that Manning will be gone by end of round 1/beginning round 2 latest.....I'd draft an RB at 1.07 a top WR or another RB at 2.04 (serpentine draft right??) and wait until 3-4th round for Palmer and pull the trigger on the "TOP" QB last year....

Huddle Mock Draft #2 (10 team with RB/WR Flex) I drafted Manning at 2.06...check it out on the main page...my team came out pretty good.....my judgement has always been to take the best available....IMO Manning is not the best at 1.07...but its pure judgement...particularly since its 6 pts. per passing TD....me...I prefer the Palmer tactics....if you don't get Palmer at 4.04...then hold out and get a QB later than sooner....JMHO :D