[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Salsa and Guacamole Recipes

Big Country

I've got a couple salsa recipes I've done before, and I think I've made guac like once, so, looking for some good recipes to consider for a party next weekend.

I'll need to make enough for 16-20 people.

Perhaps a mild and a spicy salsa recipe and then a classic guacamole recipe.

I welcome your input

Off the top of my head, here's my recipe for guacamole:

The measurements are to taste and not specific:

4 Avocados

1 jalepeno diced with seeds removed

2-3 tomatos diced

A hefty spoonful of crushed garlic

1 or 2 green onions sliced

A tablespoon or so of cilantro

Sea salt - season to your liking

1 lime - for juice

I cut the avocados in half, remove the seed then create a grid with my knife out of the avocado flesh with the skin still on. I'll then take a spoon and scoop it out. Perfect cubes. When mixing all of the ingredients together I'll fold then as opposed to mixing and mashing because I like my guacamole to be chunky and colorful.

Edit: Just remember, add more of something if you think it needs it. These are all guesses as I generally eyeball eveything. You'll definitely need more for 16 people. I would slowly add the salt, lime juice, and cilantro.

Edited by twiley

My favorite spicy one; I wing it so don't really know the measurements!

This has some great heat to it and a lot of flavor, it's addicting!

For 16-18 people:

Approx: 8-10 Habernero pepers, seed them and chop finely.

Add onion, tomatoes, garlic, cilantro, fresh squeezed limes and a half cup of O.J.

The orange juice offsets the habernero's. Great fresh, but better after it sits for a while!

My favorite spicy one; I wing it so don't really know the measurements!

This has some great heat to it and a lot of flavor, it's addicting!

For 16-18 people:

Approx: 8-10 Habernero pepers, seed them and chop finely.

Add onion, tomatoes, garlic, cilantro, fresh squeezed limes and a half cup of O.J.

The orange juice offsets the habernero's. Great fresh, but better after it sits for a while!

I do one similar but instead of tomatoes I'll use pineapples and scotch bonnets. I'll post the recipe when I get home.

I usually just wing it

Me too - I don't think I've ever made it the same twice. :D

I do use lots of juicy tomatoes - I like a local variety called DX-5212s. Always add white onion, jalepeno, cilantro, salt and lots of fresh lime juice. Usually add garlic, sometimes serano peppers or habeneros if it's just for the guys. I'll also throw in some fresh corn if I get a wild hair.

I beleive that habeneros and Scotch bonnets are in fact, the same type of pepper. They look a bit like miniature pumpkins. 8 to 10 habeneros? Holy smokin tongues hangin out! OJ, pineapple, I don't care.... you put 10 habeneros from my garden in a freakin vat of guacamole, and people are going to the hospital. :D

I have also added a bit of fresh dill to the base recipes here, and that's pretty good. A bit of finely chopped basil instead is nice as well. I've added some finely shredded carrot bits, which can help turn the fire from the peppers down a bit (in any recipe). I use a veggie peeler, and then dice. I also use this in the hot sauces I concoct from the garden. It's a common ingredient in many spicy Jamaican hot sauces and dishes.

Twiley, nice tip on avacadoe prep.... I have to try that! I usually mash some, and cube some.

I beleive that habeneros and Scotch bonnets are in fact, the same type of pepper. They look a bit like miniature pumpkins. 8 to 10 habeneros? Holy smokin tongues hangin out! OJ, pineapple, I don't care.... you put 10 habeneros from my garden in a freakin vat of guacamole, and people are going to the hospital. :D

:D I was thinking the same thing. I make about 6 quarts of salsa at a time and might use 4-5 habeneros (plus jalepenos and seranos) if I want it really hot. That stuff generally renders even spicy lovers speechless - as in you literally can't talk for 10 seconds or so after swallowing.

This thread is making me wish tomatoes were in season. :D

Scotch bonnets are often confused with the habanero, as they are closely related, but not cultivars. They are a pale yellow-green maturing to yellow, orange or red and have bell-shaped squashed-looking ribbed pods.

Scotch bonnets have a somewhat smoky apple-cherry and tomato flavor (if you are able to discern a flavor under all of that fiery heat). Scotch bonnets are grown mostly in Jamaica and Belize.

Now for my pineapple-papaya salsa.....

Cube about half a pineapple

Cube about half a papaya

Juice 1 lime

1-2 scotch bonnets seeded and chopped

2 green onions sliced

Handful of mint or so..spoonful..chopped

Thai fish sauce... I think about a tablespoon

Mix it all together and let it infuse for about 30 mins.

Tip: I was discussing heat of peppers with a toxicologist the other day and he told me it's a common misconception that the heat comes from the stem and seeds. The heat actually comes from the inner lining of the pepper. Next time you cut one open you'll see what look like tiny blisters on the inside of the pepper. He said if you scrap all of that away you'll cut down on the heat significantly and taste the characteristics of the pepper.

Edited by twiley

Now for my pineapple-papaya salsa.....

Cube about half a pineapple

Cube about half a papaya

Juice 1 lime

1-2 scotch bonnets seeded and chopped

2 green onions sliced

Handful of mint or so..spoonful..chopped

Thai fish sauce... I think about a tablespoon

Mix it all together and let it infuse for about 30 mins.

Tip: I was discussing heat of peppers with a toxicologist the other day and he told me it's a common misconception that the heat comes from the stem and seeds. The heat actually comes from the inner lining of the pepper. Next time you cut one open you'll see what look like tiny blisters on the inside of the pepper. He said if you scrap all of that away you'll cut down on the heat significantly and taste the characteristics of the pepper.

I've never made a sweet salsa - I'll have to try it, thanks.

I have also added a bit of fresh dill to the base recipes here, and that's pretty good. A bit of finely chopped basil instead is nice as well. I've added some finely shredded carrot bits, which can help turn the fire from the peppers down a bit (in any recipe). I use a veggie peeler, and then dice. I also use this in the hot sauces I concoct from the garden. It's a common ingredient in many spicy Jamaican hot sauces and dishes.

Twiley, nice tip on avacadoe prep.... I have to try that! I usually mash some, and cube some.

You need to seend me up some of your Habs...!! mmmmmm!!

Habanero and Scotch Bonnet are the most commonly grown varieties of the pepper species Capsicum chinense. This species comes in many forms of pods ranging from round, top-shaped, long, or lantern-shaped. Colors can range from white, yellow, orange, red, and brown when ripe.

The red Capsicum chinense pods are known as Scotch Bonnet. Habanero is the name usually used for the orange lantern-shaped pods. The Habanero when ripe or dried and powdered has a unique apricot scent.

Varieties of the same species, but yep, different. They run about the same in Scoville units (heat), and look very similar.

http://users.visi.net/~mandy/pepguide.html

That site also dispells the notion that the oil, capsaicin, comes from the seeds. It doesn't, although the seeds may be in contact with the oil producing part of the plant, and so, can carry some heat, but the seeds don't produce the oil.

what twiley listed is very similar to what i do... but i'd go with about 8 avocados. i use half of a red onion (finely diced) instead of garlic, and i use more lime and cilantro. i mix it up: sometime i do what rovers suggested- blend half, leave half cubed, sometimes i add a little sour cream, sometimes i go super smooth, and sometimes super chunky, sometimes i throw in some chili powder and/ or cumin....

all on mood.

Funny enough Tyler Florene did a guacomole on his show Tyler's Ultimate that looke dvery good and very similar to what suppasonic posted.

Basically.. avocado, onion, serranos, s&p, cilantro, lime juice and some olive oil.... then he used a potato masher to mix it in so that you had a creamy yet still chunky mix... looked delicious...

I am thinking I will make a couple test batches earier this week to decid what to bing to the party.. that or I will make a few varieties with varying degrees of heat

One large Anaheim chopped finely

two to three Seranos chopped finely

One small red onion chopped

three to four roma tomatoes chopped finely

fresh cilantro

fresh lime(small)

Salt and pepper(only after all is mixed and only to taste, which is not much)

Chop peppers and tomatoes, mix together in a bowl and let sit as long as over night, but at least a half hour or so in the fridge.

When ready chop the onion(must be red) add to mixture coarsely chop cilantro and add(remember too much cilantro is not good)

When ready to serve add the juce of about half the lime stir and taste, add more if needed.

Fresh and friendly with just enough bite to please everyone (feeds six to eight) and there is never left overs for eggs the next morning :D but the raves just keep on coming :D

Edited by Hugh B Tool

The guacamole was hit at the BBQ we went ot this weekend. Good kick that crept up on you but didn't linger. AS I was unsure of just how many people would be there (was told to expect 15-20) I used 10 avocadoes.

SO, recipe I ended up using:

10 Haas Avocadoes

juice of 8 limes

3 serrano chiles, chopped

1/2 medium inion, finely diced

handful of cilantro chopped well

a little salt and pepper

a drizzle of olive oil

I put all of the ingredients in a bowl and mashed with a potato masher.... worked out great... made it creamy with some good chunks in there. First thing you taste is the hint of citrus with the creamy avocado, then you start to get the serrano heat. Not overbearing, just a good heat. Definitely something I will make again.

Recipe is a little more involved, but something I've just been playing with the last couple years. I recommend going with the spicier version.

16 vine-ripe tomatoes (spoon out seeds of half of them, or more if you want it a little "firmer"), diced

1 red onion, finely chopped

5-6 fresh cloves of garlic, minced

3 fresh jalapeno, finely chopped (seeded for milder salsa)

1 Poblano pepper, finely chopped

4-5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Juice from two limes

2-3 tablespoons tequila

1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped

1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped

4-5 tablespoons sugar

Salt to taste

Combine all ingredients, mix

Let set at least 1 hour (overnight is better)

Serves: plenty for good size party

For spicier salsa, add 1-2 fresh finely chopped Serrano peppers and/or Habanero Peppers