[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bears and Broncos....

DaFreak

Why won't anyone believe that Shanahan is going to go into this year with Dayne as his #1 RB? He has always liked Dayne since before the Giants drafted him and he fits the DEN system very well, with some strong similarity to the Wisconsin rushing game. Add to that Shanahan loving to take other team's high draft pick rejects and turn them into productive players, and I have no problem seeing Dayne as the top RB with Bell being the CoP RB & getting plenty of work in that role.

Add either Cobbs and/or Mike Bell to the roster and you have a pretty strong & deep RBBC.

There's a lot of people that need to set aside their Dayne-hate. How can FF owners not look at the low draft picks (TD & Anderson) and the RBs who failed miserably with other teams (Gary, Droughns) and how they performed with DEN to know that Dayne is a legit threat to be a very solid FF RB if he's the guy that Shanahan believes in? The only real failure Shanahan has had with picking a starting RB was Q Griffin, and that wasn't all that hard to see coming, with Griffin's size and that he lost yardage or had no to very small gains on way too high of a percentage of his runs to be Shanahan's lead dog.

Edited by Bronco Billy

The Broncos don't have to do anything with Lelie, let alone trade him PLUS another player. I'm worried about Walker not being healthy, or reinjuring himself, and then they are stuck with only Rod Smith. Their backups have not proven anything on the field to indicate that they could step in---hell, they couldn't beat out Lelie, and he's no prize. Honestly, I would have liked to see Denver go after Keyshawn. Rod, Key, and Javon would have made a formidable receiving trio.

I think that the Bears problems have revolved around the QB, not the WRs. Mushin, Bradley, and Gage are no slouches.

I don't think Hakim... I mean, Lelie... adds anything to that.

Edited by AtomicCEO

• 4 weeks later...

July 26, 2006 10:17 AM ET

Bears: Lelie conversations have taken place

The News

The Bears have been in contact with the Broncos regarding disgruntled wide receiver Ashley Lelie, who would fit a need in Chicago's inexperienced receiving corps. However, according to the Chicago Sun-Times, Bears general manager Jerry Angelo is not eager to trade away mid-round draft picks and believes the team's young wideouts can step up.

Our View

Lelie isn't much of anything but a deep threat, but that's precisely what the Bears are looking for opposite Muhsin Muhammad. Still, it's unlikely they will pony up for a guy who hasn't shown much and will be a free agent after this season.

I think that the Bears problems have revolved around the QB, not the WRs. Mushin, Bradley, and Gage are no slouches.

No slouches? Have you ever actually seen the Bears play? IMO, The Bears ignored a glaring need at WR2 this offseason and will pay the price with another lackluster offense all year. If the Bears wanted to take the next step, they needed to cowboy the f*ck up at WR...and they didn't.

No slouches? Have you ever actually seen the Bears play? IMO, The Bears ignored a glaring need at WR2 this offseason and will pay the price with another lackluster offense all year. If the Bears wanted to take the next step, they needed to cowboy the f*ck up at WR...and they didn't.

Ignoring the TE was a bigger problem. Des Clark?

Atomic is right though. Without a decent QB how can the WR's even be evaluated fairly?

As a Die-hard Bears fan I have just about gave up on their draft mentality... Here you have the NFL's best defense and what do the Bears do with their first 5 picks...Safety, CB/KR, DT.OLB. DE....They could have gotten Greg Jennings (52) or Sinorice Moss (44)....Why improve the Defense when the Offense (esp the passing game) has sucked for as long as I can remember?... Those 5 yd screen passes don't work without someone to spread the field... I was even upset last year when they took Benson instead of a real QB or WR at pick3....Jones and Thomas were more than serviceable RB's.....If I wasn't raised near Chicago I'd be a Packer Fan..Blasphemy...At least they are not afraid to throw the ball !!!.... :D:D

I wouldn't mind seeing Lelie in Minnesota, but don't see the Vikings have much trade bait other than draft picks and I doubt they'd want to part with any.

KRob - could relapse anytime

TWill - unproven

MRob - one dimensional

TTaylor - meh, OK depth

Another guy like Lelie sure wouldn't hurt IMO.

Why won't anyone believe that Shanahan is going to go into this year with Dayne as his #1 RB? He has always liked Dayne since before the Giants drafted him and he fits the DEN system very well, with some strong similarity to the Wisconsin rushing game. Add to that Shanahan loving to take other team's high draft pick rejects and turn them into productive players, and I have no problem seeing Dayne as the top RB with Bell being the CoP RB & getting plenty of work in that role.

Add either Cobbs and/or Mike Bell to the roster and you have a pretty strong & deep RBBC.

There's a lot of people that need to set aside their Dayne-hate. How can FF owners not look at the low draft picks (TD & Anderson) and the RBs who failed miserably with other teams (Gary, Droughns) and how they performed with DEN to know that Dayne is a legit threat to be a very solid FF RB if he's the guy that Shanahan believes in? The only real failure Shanahan has had with picking a starting RB was Q Griffin, and that wasn't all that hard to see coming, with Griffin's size and that he lost yardage or had no to very small gains on way too high of a percentage of his runs to be Shanahan's lead dog.

So f'n true you've pointed this out in numerous threads and they still don't get it :D

Atomic is right though. Without a decent QB how can the WR's even be evaluated fairly?

...and without quality WR's with the skill set to run precise routes, separate from DB's, and hold onto the ball, how do you evaluate the QB's fairly? :D