[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How much would you pay (auction draft) for top RB?

BeeR

33% or less

34-36

37-49

40-42

43-45

45-49

50+

EDIT: so much for my huddle poll-making abilities :D Oh well - at fbg prices seemed to be a good bit higher than I'd expect, ie many saying they're willing to go 40 or well over that even. IMO that's too pricey for any one guy.....

Edited by BeeR

I have never paid more than 35% for any player and that includes getting a top 3 RB. If they push a player over 35%, they can have him. I am not willing to pay more for a player that will be only one of NINE OR TEN starters I will use every week.

I have never paid more than 35% for any player and that includes getting a top 3 RB. If they push a player over 35%, they can have him. I am not willing to pay more for a player that will be only one of NINE OR TEN starters I will use every week.

I agree. I will try not to spend 30% for any one player and sometimes not even 25%. I've been able to get some steals late in the auction by having a little more money than everyone else giving my team much needed depth.

In an auction, I am typically the last team to get a player and the first one done because all my players are above minimums and I effectively trade taking any players that would be first or second rounders in exchange for having a team of players that are almost entirely from what would be the first half of the draft.

In an auction, I am typically the last team to get a player and the first one done because all my players are above minimums and I effectively trade taking any players that would be first or second rounders in exchange for having a team of players that are almost entirely from what would be the first half of the draft.

How's that generally worked out Dave? Been debating 2 opposite strats, ie the grab a few top studs and the rest scrubs hoping for some over-producers, or go your way ie serious balance/depth...

Yeah 35% is a really good number for LJ, LT, and Shawn but other than that way down to about 25% :D

Edited by broncosn05

How's that generally worked out Dave? Been debating 2 opposite strats, ie the grab a few top studs and the rest scrubs hoping for some over-producers, or go your way ie serious balance/depth...

it has always worked out better for me because I get actual depth across the board. Plus I have enough money to spend on the sleepers that I really want. I have tried it many ways but I keep coming back to sitting back and only getting players for value that I want and typically all those top ten RBs and many of the elite WRs go for more than they should.

Here is my most recent auction that was for some Krause magazine.

Remember - this was a 14 team league, not a 12 team league

Salary	Pos	Name21	QB	Peyton Manning4	QB	Philip Rivers38	RB	Julius Jones30	RB	Cedric Benson16	RB	Thomas Jones7	RB	T.J. Duckett2	RB	Michael Bennett29	WR	Randy Moss21	WR	Derrick Mason5	WR	Isaac Bruce6	WR	David Givens6	WR	Laveranues Coles6	TE	Alge Crumpler1	TE	Alex Smith3	K	Adam Vinatieri1	K	Nate Kaeding2	DEF	Indianapolis Colts2	DEF	Dallas Cowboys

The only player minimum guys I had were my backup PK and TE. Peyton Manning was perhaps the best value I have ever picked up in an auction - I was just bidding him up and everyone stopped when he should have been more like 30 or so. I think 2 other QBs ended up going for more than he did (first player in their position is usually a good value since everyone wants to see the price set and there are still every other player left).

I wanted Marion Barber of course but there was that one guy in the draft that had a monster nut for getting the second half of handcuffs. He drove me to like 30 on Benson which was higher than I certainly wanted and then when he pushed me to 19 on Barber (I had J Jones), I let him take him since I am never wrecking my budget for some back-up player.

Even besides the Manning perk, I loved that auction and had several comments about my team.

No dogs here!

I had huge success two or three years ago getting Culpepper, LT2 and Alexander in an auction ... and then filling in everywhere else with minimum bid players...

I've also had success w/ what DMD talks about.

...it comes down to the size of the starting lineup. If you're starting QB / RB / WR / WR / TE / PK ... then, sure, I may spend 50% on a single player. But, if you're starting 2-3 RBs and 3-5 WRs, no way.

I would have an extremely conservative approach......the players I really target or look at are usually values in the teens and are under the radar for most fantasy drafters who are unable to look outside the box...

last year I would have gone after the likes of Jordan, KJones, Rudi and LJ as a backup at the time....

and I would have honestly been willing to pay more for LJ than the others because the others would have been had for rather cheap in my league...

I had huge success two or three years ago getting Culpepper, LT2 and Alexander in an auction ... and then filling in everywhere else with minimum bid players...

I've also had success w/ what DMD talks about.

...it comes down to the size of the starting lineup. If you're starting QB / RB / WR / WR / TE / PK ... then, sure, I may spend 50% on a single player. But, if you're starting 2-3 RBs and 3-5 WRs, no way.

this may have been the year where Culpepper was a freak....and would have taken the MVP if it were not for Manning being an even bigger freak...

ok so i found the roster from 2003 I won using that strategy(we started 2RB, 2WR, 1TE)

$200 capSlot   Pos	 Name			 Bid     1	 QB	 Bouman, Todd	   $2	    2	 QB	 Brees, Drew		$2	    3	 QB	 Brooks, Aaron	  $20	    4	 QB	 Frerotte, Gus	  $2	    5	 QB	 Volek, Billy	   $2	    6	 RB	 Holmes, Priest	 $64	    7	 RB	 Jordan, LaMont	 $4	    8	 RB	 Tomlinson, L.	  $71	    9	 WR	 Brown, Troy		$2	    10	WR	 Jackson, Darrell   $17	    11	WR	 Kennison, Eddie	$2	    12	WR	 Muhammad, Muhsin   $2	    13	WR	 Rogers, Charles	$2	    14	TE	 Williams, Boo	  $2	    15	K	  Elling, Aaron	  $2	    16	DT	 Chicago			$2   

for my 2004 team i kept LT and Priest but couldnt find what my entire team looked like but found this quote in the forum

I must say I didnt think I was going to repeat with about 3 weeks left in the season...I got LUCKY to get LJ when I did(LJ/Galloway/Evans were all picked up wks 13-15)
Edited by keggerz

IIRC, I had the #2 QB and two of the top four RBs.

Plus I got Chad Johnson for $2 (or some such) that year (his second year), which helped.

that must have been a ridiculous team lol...

of course I had LT2, Droughns, MBennett, Manning, Walker, Fitz and Harrison that year....also I had Boldin...

all because I traded CBrown when he came back from injury and had a ridiculous game....that landed me LT2....and I basically stole Fitz early in a desperate trade....same with Manning.......but drafted the rest of that team...

The trick to auction leagues is value. It is never the big ticket player that wins in those leagues anyway. It's the value picks that make all the difference in the world.

As an example, in my auction league last year I got guys like LJ, Boldin, Cadillac, Ronnie Brown, and Willie Parker, all for a song. I was aboe to pick up a big ticket WR like CJ, but the real difference-makers were the guys I got on the cheap.

With that in mind, I probably would never go for a guy like LT2 or SA or LJ this year. I'd much rather spend that money on 5 players that I think can be value picks.

deleted this earlier post FYI/FWIW

IIRC, I had the #2 QB and two of the top four RBs.

Plus I got Chad Johnson for $2 (or some such) that year (his second year), which helped.

That's the key, I think, to the "stud" strat ie you better hit big on at least one of the cheaper "scrubs" you pick up. In fact I only went for 2 studs last year (LT and Moss) and a top 10 (Rudi) but still might've had some trouble getting to the playoffs if not for getting Dunn pretty cheaply, given that Moss tanked and my QBs drove me crazy (Favre starting, eventually settled for Plummer who was safer).

The trick to auction leagues is value.

That can be said of any draft.

It is never the big ticket player that wins in those leagues anyway. It's the value picks that make all the difference in the world.
This is a common myth, frankly. It's both. Our champ last year had SA. He also picked up LJ near the end of the draft. Neither by themselves carried him, but the 2 combined were unstoppable. Similarly I had LT and Rudi but Dunn (fairly inexpensive pick fairly late) make a huge diff also.

With that in mind, I probably would never go for a guy like LT2 or SA or LJ this year. I'd much rather spend that money on 5 players that I think can be value picks.

Tough call. Still debating that one....

That can be said of any draft.

I think it can be said moreso in auction leagues. In a regular draft there are limitations as to whom you can get. In an auction league, even if there are 5 players in the same tier, you can have them all if you want to. Put another way, you have limited value choices in a regular draft that are based in part on draft position. All bets are off in an auction league.

This is a common myth, frankly. It's both. Our champ last year had SA. He also picked up LJ near the end of the draft. Neither by themselves carried him, but the 2 combined were unstoppable. Similarly I had LT and Rudi but Dunn (fairly inexpensive pick fairly late) make a huge diff also.

Disagree completely. My point was that LT2 alone will not do it for you. Anyone can blow half his salary on a top player. But you need to complement that with good value picks (especially with only half your salary left) if you want to have a shot at winning. If your champ did not take LJ in that draft, I bet he doesn't win.

So, no, it's not a myth.

Tough call. Still debating that one....

Debate it all you like, but I will not spend half my salary on LT2, and the reason is value. You are paying for his top-end production. You will either get your money's worth or LESS than your money's worth. I like to have upside on every dollar I spend.

:D

I think it can be said moreso in auction leagues. In a regular draft there are limitations as to whom you can get. In an auction league, even if there are 5 players in the same tier, you can have them all if you want to. Put another way, you have limited value choices in a regular draft that are based in part on draft position.

...which actually is why value picks matter more in a "regular" draft IMO.

Disagree completely. My point was that LT2 alone will not do it for you. Anyone can blow half his salary on a top player. But you need to complement that with good value picks (especially with only half your salary left) if you want to have a shot at winning. If your champ did not take LJ in that draft, I bet he doesn't win.
Of course, I wasn't saying otherwise. You were saying "the value picks win it for you." My point is it's both. More than a few top picks/top price are spent on guys who DON'T produce. ie your top picks, made well, will no less an extent than the "lesser" picks, win it for you.

Debate it all you like, but I will not spend half my salary on LT2, and the reason is value. You are paying for his top-end production. You will either get your money's worth or LESS than your money's worth. I like to have upside on every dollar I spend.

The thing is this is an FF draft, not a Wal-Mart shopping spree. I like to field the best team I can. That is partly (hopefully) by getting good value in some players, but also by getting players who might be "good value" not because I got them for less $ than expected but because they are a hell of an addition to my team. I paid top dollar for LT last year (not ridiculous though ie 50%), but he was worth every penny. Conversely, I got Favre and Plummer at "bargain" prices but both gave me trouble last year (and no I didn't buy them cheap because I had to due to buying LT).

The thing is this is an FF draft, not a Wal-Mart shopping spree. I like to field the best team I can. That is partly (hopefully) by getting good value in some players, but also by getting players who might be "good value" not because I got them for less $ than expected but because they are a hell of an addition to my team. I paid top dollar for LT last year (not ridiculous though ie 50%), but he was worth every penny. Conversely, I got Favre and Plummer at "bargain" prices but both gave me trouble last year (and no I didn't buy them cheap because I had to due to buying LT).

Obviously Favre and Plummer were NOT value picks last year then. The whole definition of value is a guy who outperforms his draft position or auction salary. If you pay crap and he performs like crap, that isn't value. Those are NOT what I mean by value.

I mean the examples I gave. Picking up LJ and Boldin for a song in auction drafts, especially PPR scoring formats, combined with the couple bigger-ticket players you could afford, are what made many, many people win. This year, guys like DJax, Clayton, and Gore will be picked up on the cheap, and will win for people. That's my prediction anyway.