[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Green Bay Linebackers

Can't say I blame him. What reason has he given GB to move him from MLB? Hodge may be a good player, but I think they are making a big mistake screwing around with what has been their defensive foundation in favor of a rookie. I hope this is the case now & I hope Barnett gets to play the middle this year. I thought the Saints should have stayed put & picked him, maybe next year they'll get their chance to right the ship in FA. If the Saints don't get him I know the Vikings would love to have a vengeful Barnett man the middle for them.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I also read in the local paper, journal sentinel, that Barnett doesn't want to move to the SLB because it is a less glamour position which could hurt his free agent status. And what that means is he won't get as much money if he moves over. Sounds selfish to me, regardless of what he says now. Granted, he has made a lot of tackles, which he also eluded to in the article, he hasn't had the quality of LB's he will have now with Hawk and Hodge.

But I also read in the local paper, journal sentinel, that Barnett doesn't want to move to the SLB because it is a less glamour position which could hurt his free agent status. And what that means is he won't get as much money if he moves over. Sounds selfish to me, regardless of what he says now. Granted, he has made a lot of tackles, which he also eluded to in the article, he hasn't had the quality of LB's he will have now with Hawk and Hodge.

I imagine part of it is he's worried about his FA value, but it sounds more competitive than selfish to me. I imagine after running the defense for the past couple of years it would feel like a demotion to be moved to SLB. Put in a business sense most people would react the same way if they were pushed into a lesser job to make way for new blood.

I imagine part of it is he's worried about his FA value, but it sounds more competitive than selfish to me. I imagine after running the defense for the past couple of years it would feel like a demotion to be moved to SLB. Put in a business sense most people would react the same way if they were pushed into a lesser job to make way for new blood.

I completely disagree with you on this one rajn,

In biz or team sports its about whats best for the organization...barnetts issue with the move does sound and come off as selfish...if he were a TRUE LEADER and thinking of the team you would hear him saying that he thinks this is good for the team...or I have the experience at SLB to continue to be an impact player for the Packer and will also still be able to help MENTOR HODGE at MLB...but he isnt saying ALL THE RIGHT THINGS...

since when is football about glamour? If he wanted to be glamorous then go be a model or play on the offensive side of the ball(excluding the lineman)

I dont own Barnett in any league so his move wont affect me one bit...but from my point of view his comments show that he is worried about his payday and that he is indeed a selfish player...

i alluded to barnett not being a TRUE LEADER and that may have been harsh but just because he lines up at MLB doesnt mean he is the leader of that Defense...it might mean he calls the plays...but in the end leaders dont get to say follow me...people decide who they will follow and let lead them...leadership is sorta like having a nose for the ball and natural instincts for the game...you can learn about being a leader but imo you either have it or you dont...actions and comments like he has made will ensure he wont be a leader for the pack...but that is my opinion

Edited by keggerz

Look people, I don't agree with Barnett's stance on this issue, but I understand his frustration. He's never been a selfish player and he's been one of THREE consistent players on our defense for 3 years now, which definitely makes him a leader (along with Al Harris and Aaron Kampman). So, I think his comments reflect his frustration with reporters asking the same question, not his character.

If I were him, I'd be a little irritated, too. Just like us FF IDP players, the local reporters have latched onto this story of the possible MLB switch. Of course, as reporters, they're treating it as just another story, without regard to Barnett's "feelings." I say that only halfway in jest, since it's true.

Barnett probably feels like a little pawn in the media's game of preseason chess. Meanwhile, he's thinking, "Wait a minute. I've got a good performance record and quite a bit of seniority on this defense. Why the hell are people talking about me switching positions as if I have no say?!?" I mean, the first time it was brought up, Barnett probably didn't say anything too controversial. Now, though, he's being asked for updates on his looming position switch multiple times a day. He reached the end of his tolerance. He reacted. That's all it was.

Plus, the fact remains that Barnett could be a VERY good SLB. He's got the coverage instincts to excel at that position. If he gets 6 INTs and 3 or 4 sacks, he won't be hurting on the FA market. Solid, experienced coverage LBs aren't growing on trees.

Baby steps...

From the Journal-Sentinel:

Positional shift: After much was made last week about middle linebacker Nick Barnett not welcoming the idea of a shift to the outside, Barnett did take one play in the opening defensive series at strong side linebacker with rookie Abdul Hodge playing the middle.